Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

3.9 Final Drive Ratio is here !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 06:45 PM
DLin05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with an assembled rear end how long should install be? and do I have to send you my core within a certain time?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:13 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

install time would then be 1-1.5 hours as long as its cool.
On this we are going to want the housings back pretty quick.
We are going to reqire a tracking number for them within a couple of days after you receive the one we ship out.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:52 AM
phile

What is the point of a core charge on a LSD? I don't know much about core charges, so that's why I'm asking.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:20 AM
dwnshift

This is an entire housing with the 3.9 FD and the Nismo diff installed. Then you would ship us your old housing back. That would be the core. That housing would then be updated with new bearings, 3.9 ring and pinion and Nismo LSD.
If you would like we can put an entire housing together and you can keep your original hosuing but that is more expensive.
Cheers
BJ@350EVO.com

Last edited by dwnshift; 08-30-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:55 PM
maserom

Looking for a 3.5 final drive out of a Manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a good price.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:16 PM
phile

Originally posted by dwnshift
This is an entire housing with the 3.9 FD and the Nismo diff installed. Then you would ship us your old housing back. That would be the core. That housing would then be updated with new bearings, 3.9 ring and pinion and Nismo LSD.
If you would like we can put an entire housing together and you can keep your original hosuing but that is more expensive.
Cheers
BJ@350EVO.com
So I would be getting someone else's housing if I were to buy the entire package? And I send out my housing that you update and someone else gets? I know what the core is , I was just wondering what the point of it was. I never understood really why there is a core charge for things. I know there's probably a good reason, I just don't know what that reason is, that's why I'm asking.

So from what you stated above, it sounds like I would only be sending you my housing, and not the stock differential? That's kind of confusing, because when I think of housing, I think of a shell or an exterior. So am I right? Blah, it's 2:16 am sorry if this is incoherent
Old 08-31-2004, 06:53 AM
dwnshift

The "core exchange program" just allows for less down time on most parts. Take for instance our T body core exchange. You can drive your car until the new T body arrives. Then you send your OEM one back to us. THe alternative is you take of your T body, ship it in, have the work done on it, and hten it gets shipped back. Your car would be down for awhile.
The core program with the rear end housings allows for a much easier installation of just the pumkin. All the difficult installation and set up fo the FD is handled here at our shop.
This is ecsp helpful for people in areas wehre they do not have somone that can do driveline work and wnat the 3.9 final drive.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:21 AM
phile

Cool. Yeah, I was thinking it was some sort of initiative to recycle parts more than it was to reduce downtime. I learn something every day here

So does your throttle body tend to make Zs run lean without a reflash? What kind of gains do you get from your larger TB? Sorry, I dont' mean to hijack the thread.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Poizon

So wheres the ending? Thats it everyone buys but no one installs? No review? What the ****
Old 12-12-2004, 01:15 AM
zillinois

Originally posted by Poizon
So wheres the ending? Thats it everyone buys but no one installs? No review? What the ****
I posted a multi part review back in August when I had this installed. Street, strip and track review. Can't find the 1/4 mile review. But the bottom line was that I picked up 2mph in my trap speed but no et. Also, Adam from Z1 posted a review. Search is your friend.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....l+drive+review

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....l+drive+review
Old 12-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Poizon

Thanks zillinois! Great review. Do you reccomend the 3.9 if I never go tho the track and just drive around vegas through canyons and on fwys?

I do race every chance I get without it becoming dangerous on the roads here.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:13 AM
zillinois

Thanks zillinois! Great review. Do you reccomend the 3.9 if I never go tho the track and just drive around vegas through canyons and on fwys?

I do race every chance I get without it becoming dangerous on the roads here.
Yes, I recommend the 3.9 for almost anyone who wants more n/a power. The only thing is, take the time to find an experienced driveline shop. If you get it installed for cheap or by inexperienced people your car will have a whinny gear. The noise can be unliveable.

I got mine done at a local shop which has about 20 years experience and mine sounds the same as factory. The installer makes the difference. They did not follow factory specs, btw. The set it a little loose. Especially the pinion preload. If intalled right, the car seems totally factory still. It just has way more pull when you step on the fun pedal.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Poizon

Zillinois when I got my cusco lsd installed I took it to a Z shop. Ive known the owner for about 20 years. All he works on is mostly Zs and other nissans by referral.

I was going to have a driveline shop install the lsd and they are one of the best in town but they usually work on us cars, so I took it to the Z shop and they did a great job on the install.

Should I take the 3.9 to the driveline shop or stick with my Z shop since he does nissans all day everyday, or do you think this is a driveline job?

Last edited by Poizon; 12-12-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:20 PM
zillinois

Zillinois when I got my cusco lsd installed I took it to a Z shop. Ive known the owner for about 20 years. All he works on is mostly Zs and other nissans by referral.

I was going to have a driveline shop install the lsd and they are one of the best in town but they usually work on us cars, so I took it to the Z shop and they did a great job on the install.

Should I take the 3.9 to the driveline shop or stick with my Z shop since he does nissans all day everyday, or do you think this is a driveline job?
I would ask how many gear swaps the Z shop has made. See if one of the shops will give you a satisfaction guarantee.

My preference would be for the shop with the most experience with driveline. My shop had enough confidence in their experience to know that the factory specs were too tight. That's the kind of people you want working on it. I was scared that it would be too noisy. But they assured me that it would be ok. They just had done it so many times, that they knew exactly what to do even though they had never worked on a Z before. If the Z shop has that confidence, then go for it.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Poizon

Zillinois I sent you a pm but your full. Do you consider this a different kind of install compared to the lsd install he already did for me. Even though he did a good job on the lsd is this a more complicated install.

I have a base model Z so we had to change out the stub axles and some other components and he had to make all the adjustments for the lsd to work properly.

Or do you feel this is a driveline job even if they work mostly on U.S. autos but know what they are doing. Sorry if my questions are redundant I just cant afford to make an incorrect decision.

Check out momo they have an incredible selectiion of high quality *****. I will let you know how the C's turns out Im going to let the order go through as long as the shifer is not going to lean to the right when in neutral because of right side drive.

Last edited by Poizon; 12-12-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:52 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it important the shop have experience working specifically on the 350Z's diff or does experience on say mustang diffs qualify?
Old 12-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Poizon

Good way of putting it. Thats exactly what I want to know as well.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:05 PM
zillinois

Poizon,

Did you have the gear from the open diff put into the LSD? If so, then your Z shop is capable and could be trusted to put the 3.9 in.

Its about trusting the mechanic to adjust the preload and to get the lash right. There is a lot of room for individual competency in gear install. I've done it on Ford 9" rear ends and it can be very frustrating. Its not just bolt it in and it works like a whole pumpkin. You have to put the crush sleeve on and bolt the gear set down. If you don't get it right, you have to take it off and do it again.

There is nothing about our differential that is special, so a domestic shop could handle just as well as an import shop. It might likely be less expensive for the domestic shop to do it, just because its domestic. If your shop does work on 350Z's though and they installed your LSD, then I would choose them for their familiarity.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Poizon

Thanks zill! Thats what I needed to hear. My Z shop will be doing the install and I will see if he mentions leaving the preload loose.

If not I will tell him to. Ill get hold of BJ at 350 evo for the part list I will need. Thanks again for all your help. Sorry the evo shifter didnt work out. Even if you change the **** you dont think it will make a difference.

Are you telling me the 350 evo ss shifter feels like stock? Are the throws any shorter? One notch from gear to gear or two? Sorry to get off subject just curious.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:26 AM
NOZ4U

About this whole core thing.....I understand the concept of the core charge and all. However when you think about it, you end up loosing. Think about it. Lets say I want a Nismo LSD and the 3.9gear. If I buy one that's already put together and have it shipped, I'll have to send them mine to get the core charge back. So in essence they would be getting my OEM LSD. How is that fair?

Why should I have to pay $500 dollars just to keep what is already mine? If the core charge is just for the pumpkin, could I take out my 3.5 gear and LSD and just send them the housing? I could then sell my OEM LSD. It seems that the core charge is for the housing itself not the contents because afterall I'd be purchasing all new bearings, gears, LSD when I bought the complete kit.

It's not that I being cheap or anything. It's just that they're "giving" me a pumpkin and I'm "buying" the parts that go inside. So there for I should only have to give back what they "gave" me which is an empty housing or relinguish the $500.00.

Quick Reply: 3.9 Final Drive Ratio is here !!!