Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

is it possible to outfit a Z with the Q45 v8, the VK45DE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:39 AM
nighthawk350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets not forget about the inevitable wheelspin issue...FI people are already having major traction problems on a good launch.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by nighthawk350z
lets not forget about the inevitable wheelspin issue...FI people are already having major traction problems on a good launch.

You get better tires, problem solved..??
Old 08-23-2004, 01:18 AM
adanande

its easy to say ,lets just stuff a new motor in the car, its the lay person's solution to the need for speed. Waith unitll the nismo "Pacer edition" of the 350z comes out. just a rumor but go to z1 atuo .com, imagine of all of those nismo engine parts were used but with stock or high compression, wow you will have an 8000 rpm low entorwue monster, m35's will swap that moter into their cars and use 3.917 gear ratios to solve their tourgques to weight problems( famouse bmw and ferrari solution) and still top out at 180 becase of 800 rpm redline. weight till tomei comes out with their crate engine. THere is replacement for displacement, but i enderstand what you guys are saying. It is just very illogiccal to put that much more weight into a sports car , for handling at least. the heaver, the harder to turn in with stability.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:58 AM
turbo-maxima

they twin turboed a VK and put it in a 240 and it was incredibly fast. Like you can't even drive that thing on street fast. I think it was making like 700 whp with stock internals.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Wicked4u2c

If I was going to do a motor swap, forget all these ***** motors ideas! With money ANYTHING is possible. I would swap a SUPRA 2JZ engine, which are known to hit 1,000HP with stock internals and is NO JOKE! It is an inline six so its lighter than most of these engines mentioned and the capabilites are insane! Regardless if its a toyota motor, its perhaps one of the best motors ever made, which ranks in the top 3 IMO. Ive seen a swap on a 325I BMW and its sick fast!! I think the engine will fit nicely too, since its not to BULKY.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:55 AM
adanande

hah that's sick, 325 i had a suprah engine nice! hehehhe that would be totally sick, watching a 325 totally slamm on an m# like nobody's bussiness with dual hks ball bearing gt 285 turbo's. very cool. Smart man, the The 2jzte should be used in at least one 350z i would be curious to see what happens, i bet you could use the stock transmission cousing, just custom make gears, but then again why not just get a supra trans, but it would be really old buttoyota's last. but is wwould still be a little less than Na when int comes to absolout responseiveness, but then again it has lots of potential. If you were to modify it wow.

Why didn't i think of this. hahahahahh supra engine, will it fit,? its twice as long. if the rb fits then supra egine will fit, but how will balance be? maybe people shopuld all get tilton flywheels or exedy's and call it a day.ha
Old 08-23-2004, 08:38 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
If I was going to do a motor swap, forget all these ***** motors ideas! With money ANYTHING is possible. I would swap a SUPRA 2JZ engine, which are known to hit 1,000HP with stock internals and is NO JOKE! It is an inline six so its lighter than most of these engines mentioned and the capabilites are insane! Regardless if its a toyota motor, its perhaps one of the best motors ever made, which ranks in the top 3 IMO. Ive seen a swap on a 325I BMW and its sick fast!! I think the engine will fit nicely too, since its not to BULKY.

the stock internals on a 2jz have never seen more than 900. and even that is pushing i believe his motor was rebuilt shortly after.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:42 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally posted by VividRacing
The RB can easily be made to have over 1000 hp. I would take an RB over any other motor.

i wouldnt say its easy to get a 1000hp out of an rb, but yes it is reallistically possibly.

but lets say we use another yardstick, say tq. how much tq does that 12000 rpm 1000hp rb have at peak, 500, 600 at most.

same goes for the 2jz, these engines may make hp but they dont make much in the way of tq.

thats the big advantage of displacement is that tq is built sooner, at the expense of rpm range.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:25 AM
azrael

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
- It would be $10,000 cheaper to sell the 350Z and just buy a Supra.

- The 2JZ-GTE is an iron block and not at all lighter than the VQ.

- As powertrip mentioned, no stock block 2JZ-GTE has ever hit 1000 HP. The record is in the 900s, but that block was seconds away from rattling itself apart.

- You wouldn't know what to do with a 1000 HP street car anyway. They're useless as anything but a show piece to prove you can do it.

- For the record, Top Secret swaps motors because they can. They've made their name by making crazy cars to show off their abilities. That 350Z with the VQ30DETT has a completely custom engine bay with a custom radiator and FMIC with one-off carbon fiber cooling ducts that vent to holes in the hood JGTC style. They do it to show off, not because its a good idea.

Anyway, I'm tired of arguing about engine swaps. Anyone who is still convinced an engine swap is truly the answer to horsepower (in this car anyway) has lost their mind, but if you care to waste the cash, be my guest.

Last edited by azrael; 08-23-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:32 PM
97modman

the stock internals on a 2jz have never seen more than 900. and even that is pushing i believe his motor was rebuilt shortly after.

This is definitely not true..There are many supras with 900 hp still on stock internals. just HKS 264 cams and either single or twin setups.. check out To4R.com there is a couple of guys running over 1000 on stock internals avg. is about 750whp between the all of them. Some of them have gone to built motors but there are still many guys that run well over 800hp with stock internals and 6spd without many worries. My opinion is that the 2JZ is the or one of the strongest engines ever built then i would say Cosworth engines.

Mike Carlin 1156hp 980rwp stock internals

Tommy Bahn 1000hp stock int

Peter Ibrahim 927hp stock internals
Old 08-23-2004, 06:22 PM
turbo-maxima

For how long. There is one guy who replaces the long block all the damn time.

The 240 with the VK made like 700 whp and 650 lbs of torque at like 4500 rpm.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by 97modman
This is definitely not true..There are many supras with 900 hp still on stock internals. just HKS 264 cams and either single or twin setups.. check out To4R.com there is a couple of guys running over 1000 on stock internals avg. is about 750whp between the all of them. Some of them have gone to built motors but there are still many guys that run well over 800hp with stock internals and 6spd without many worries. My opinion is that the 2JZ is the or one of the strongest engines ever built then i would say Cosworth engines.

Thank you!!! I know supra owner with close to 1000hp no problem!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 PM
adanande

hey guys, i will make a 350z with a thousand horsepower, just like i'm gonna put a supra engine in it with a vk 56 at the same time, then i'll have torqeu and a thousand hosropwer and then it'll be a 14 cylinder car and then when i die i'll have the most greates life ever. And then i'll wake up and realize im never gonna mod this thing enough to make it a ferrari beater without tons of money, then i might as well say ***gatabout it and shrink a few feet, move to england and buy a vauxaul v22 R version hahahahahahahh and then it'll be awsome, what, and then sinse i'll be a millionare who is the size of mini mi i'll actuall be able to fit into a lamborghini gallardo and then i'll be even happier and then i;'ll put that 14 cylinder z in a race with the lamborghini and it will win and i'll still be a very small happy millionare. Sorry i did not intend to offend anyone under 3 feet tal who can fit in all the cool cars, i'm just a tad bitter that the cars are so small. Z's are big though.hehe
Old 08-24-2004, 03:58 AM
97modman

For how long. There is one guy who replaces the long block all the damn time.
There are alot more guys that have been running over 900hp for over 34,000 miles and these guys have fun with their cars..it all depends how you treat your car.

The ones that i have heard that are replacing the long blocks is because 99% they are racing the car, just like any other car depends how you drive it specially after making more HP than the car was engineered to produce. In any case the 2JZ just happened to be a really strong engine that can withstand alot boost. Toyota got a cookie for that one.
Just so happens that Ford also got one thing right with the intro of the '03Cobra, lot of those guys are running 600-700rwp without touching the inside of it, and there are a handful of guys that are ditching the charger and putting turbos on the cobras and making an insane amount of TQ.

I dont want this to turn into Nissan Toyota debate. I am still a Z lover and cant wait to get mine. I am doing as much research as possible before buying it.

adanande: i have never pulled this card on anyone, but it is very hard for me to understand what you wrote in the last post, did not really get what you trying to say..
Old 08-24-2004, 05:20 AM
PoWeRtRiP

your idea of a 1000hp is crank. we are referring to wheel hp. i dont see any of those guys with more than a 1000 whp.

also do you truly believe that these cars are driven for all of those miles at 900 hp??? those are the dyno queen c16 settings. they probably turn down the boost for daily driving.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:47 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

It's funny how some of these guys talk about 1000hp like it's just an easy, everyday thing to do.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:44 AM
97modman

i wouldnt say its easy to get a 1000hp out of an rb, but yes it is reallistically possibly.

No where in your post you referred to 1000whp. Even if it is crank Hp it is still alot to but on an pretty much stock engine..some built engines can't do that..

and to answer your question: of course these guys dont run that power all the time you would have to be an idiot to drive 900+whp on the street let alone on street tires..it is done for what they call the WOW factor, or because it can be done. It is also used for top end pulls which i know many supras dominate.

BriGuyMax: It's funny how some of these guys talk about 1000hp like it's just an easy, everyday thing to do
No it is not an easy or everyday thing to do. comes down to patience and money.. I dont have neither so i guess i wont have a 1000hp or 900whp car. but i will settle a for 500-550whp Z.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:17 PM
PoWeRtRiP

No where in your post you referred to 1000whp. Even if it is crank Hp it is still alot to but on an pretty much stock engine..some built engines can't do that..

and to answer your question: of course these guys dont run that power all the time you would have to be an idiot to drive 900+whp on the street let alone on street tires..it is done for what they call the WOW factor, or because it can be done. It is also used for top end pulls which i know many supras dominate.

No it is not an easy or everyday thing to do. comes down to patience and money.. I dont have neither so i guess i wont have a 1000hp or 900whp car. but i will settle a for 500-550whp Z.
well to me i dont trust anyone saying they dyno x number then add back on the 15-20% drivetrain loss. i think that the only way anyone should say they have x crank hp they should have an engine dyno done. to me if you say x hp i assume were talking whp since thats the only hp that matters since you only feel that one.