Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Service engine light comes on after using Redline Water Wetter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service engine light comes on after using Redline Water Wetter

For those of you who don't know, "Water Wetter" is a coolant additive designed to lower the temp of your engine coolant. I put it into my coolant expansion reservoir because my engine bay felt so hot after the recent addition of my HKS supercharger. The engine temp gauge was still normal, but there just seemed to be more heat radiating from the engine in general.

Anyway, I added maybe about 25% more than I should have.(don't ask why I did such a freakin stupid thing. I don't have a reason) After a few starts, the MIL comes on (continuous). I also notice that I have to really crank the temp on the heater to get any kind of warm air. Next I notice my fuel consumption has drastically increased according to the computer. I examine the exhaust and sure enough, thick, jet-black residue. I'm running richer than Bill gates. My guess is the coolant just isn't heating up properly causing both my stock engine management, as well as my SC computer to run really rich (mimicking the coolant temps found soon after start-up) Anyway, getting it checked out ASAP. Anyone have any other ideas about the MIL and rich running conditions? Car runs perfectly otherwise. Gobs of power, smooth, etc. etc, etc.

Last edited by Speedracer; 11-07-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:10 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 2 bottles in mine with no problem . If your not getting any heat , you dont have enough liquid in the system or there is air pocket in there
Old 11-07-2004, 05:21 PM
ReavTek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Service engine light comes on after using Redline Water Wetter

Originally posted by Speedracer
For those of you who don't know, "Water Wetter" is a coolant additive designed to lower the temp of your engine coolant. I put it into my coolant expansion reservoir because my engine bay felt so hot after the recent addition of my HKS supercharger. The engine temp gauge was still normal, but there just seemed to be more heat radiating from the engine in general.

Anyway, I added maybe about 25% more than I should have.(don't ask why I did such a freakin stupid thing. I don't have a reason) After a few starts, the MIL comes on (continuous). I also notice that I have to really crank the temp on the heater to get any kind of warm air. Next I notice my fuel consumption has drastically increased according to the computer. I examine the exhaust and sure enough, thick, jet-black residue. I'm running richer than Bill gates. My guess is the coolant just isn't heating up properly causing both my stock engine management, as well as my SC computer to run really rich (mimicking the coolant temps found soon after start-up) Anyway, getting it checked out ASAP. Anyone have any other ideas about the MIL and rich running conditions? Car runs perfectly otherwise. Gobs of power, smooth, etc. etc, etc.
Definetly an air pocket in there. Try to find the recommended factory coolant level and mix in coolant/water plus the additive to that level then turn on the car and alow it to idle for awhile, check the temp gauge to make sure its not too hot. In the morning check your coolant level again and make sure t is close to the same level at fill up.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Michael-Dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water Wetter does not lower coolant temps. If it does, then there is something wrong w/ your cooling system or the engine was not designed properly. Water Wetter is a surfactant that changes the surface tension of water and it prevents hot pockets of steam from forming in the engine.

Find out what DTC is causing the MIL. For all we know, the MIL could have been coincidental w/ the application of the Water Wetter.

Michael.