Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Supercharge? Or Wait for ECU Possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 01:01 PM
dimebagdolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharge? Or Wait for ECU Possibility?

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here. I really enjoy this site. TONS of info.

I've been cruising for info regarding supercharger options. While doing so, I stumbled across a thread that mentioned something about the 350Z being tuned down to 287hp. That there is a possiblity of 330hp lurking with a mere ECU swap.

I'm wondering if there is any validity to this?

Also, I'm looking for advise on superchargers. I've looked at this board, articles from Sport Compact Car, Road and Track, Sport Z, etc.

I'm open to just about anything right now. I want a bump in power, but I need to stay smog exempt. And I'm in no rush so I can wait for pending CARB approvals. I want reliability and longevity more than anything. I want to keep the car as stock as possible. From what I'm seeing Stillen seems to be the front runner when considering my application, but I wanted to get your thoughts on the options.

HKS
Vortech
ATI
Dreamworkes

Any input/advise is most appreciated.

PEACE!

Adolfo
Old 11-12-2004, 01:24 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

330 at the crank is doable with bolt-ons and ECU. I doubt you could get that to the wheels with bolt-ins though. If you want bang for the buck get the Vortech and leave the Fuel/Timing tune alone and you will be very close to that at the wheels. Last I heard Vortech is pending CARB approval. The Stillen unit already is but, you going to spend alot more to get CLOSE to that power level.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You will get less than 10hp for ECU reflash. Stillen is only one CARB exempt at this point. APS and others state they are planning to thru the process to get CARB but at this point it is Stillen that has it.

If you want to wait for other FI kits to get approval, other hp gains in N/A are exhaust, pullies, High Flow Cats, Plenum etc.

The Z is expensive to get extra hp so expect to pay for N/A upgrades. Read my thread "read this before modding your 350Z". Maybe that will help you in starting out. As you will see in the thread, first decide your goal, your budget, and if you are going N/A or FI...

Read thread and then if you have questions, ask. Enjoy your Z.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2004, 01:40 PM
dimebagdolf

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses.
Sorry for not being clear. The 330hp I stated meant at the crank. Not the wheels.

Jeff,

What kind of gains have you seen with the mods you have made to your Z?

How do you like your NISMO exhaust?
I was considering it, but I don't want a loud droaning exhaust. I like the sound and quietness of the stock system.

Thanks again for your input fellas!
Old 11-12-2004, 05:06 PM
scubasteve

I love my NISMO exhaust. It was great even before the new cats. If you like the stock sound, maybe just go with a new Y pipe and cats....??I dunno if that would work, but it's worth a try. I think that anything that you do the the exhaust will change the tone a bit. The NISMO exhaust is probably closest to stock, but don't ask me cause I really don't know anything.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:14 PM
aron

I thought the nismo exhaust was loud as hell. Can somone confirm that b/c i was thinking about switching to the nismo after taking off my borla TD.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its not loud at all. As for the ecu, I gained 12 hp at the wheels on my own car...not too shabby for an NA car