Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

SES Bulb On: I'm Scared... :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 10:33 AM
ReavTek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Bulb On: I'm Scared... :(

Hey guys,

I was just cruising down the road at about 50 mph when my Service Engine Soon Light comes on. Nothing changed after the light came on, no slowing in throttle, knocking, noises nothing! I'm just worried something could be close to dying since this light came on. I have not done any upgrades for about a month. Here is a list of performance mods I have installed:

Tanabe Exhaust
Fujitsubo Y-Pipe
Stillen Race Pipes
UR Pulley Set

If I bring the car to the dealer to get it checked will they void my warranty? What should I do, I want my Z to be ok again. ;_;
Old 11-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Jsn350Z

They can't just go an "void" your warranty. The only way anything will not be under warranty is if the problem has to do with those parts you added onto the car. In which case you either fork out for the repair which it is probably minor, or take it to another dealership and see if they will do it.

Also, it could be a loose gas cap or something too. Check that, and if its fine, just go to the dealer, they plug in their little machine to your car and they will know within minutes what is wrong.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:38 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your car is going to blow up...you're screwed...

j/k...just take it to autozone and they can read the code for you...its probably just the race pipes and the code will be an overly rich condition. autozone can clear it or i think resetting your ecu with the pedal procedure or by disconnecting the battery fpr a while clears it.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:48 AM
zzzya

You can use the diagnostic procedure from the Service manual or the Technosquare website to see what the error code is. I have seen the gas cap issue on both my wife's Maxima and the Z. You can also reset the SES light using the instructions provided.

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm
Old 11-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

ironically enough, mine came on last night too! I was just pulling away from a traffic light (it was raining), and bamn, it came on. I was really low on gas at the time, but nothing else about the car has changed. All my mods have been on since forever, so who knows

With the gasp cap, usually after 6 starts/offs of the car the code goes away (got that one once before) - I am on my 8th since it happened, but it is still on. Now the car is sitting with the negative terminal disconnected....will update later. If I could find my palm pilot, I could scan it myself!
Old 11-13-2004, 12:48 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it to Autozone. I threw a code about 7k miles after I installed my test pipes and that is what the code pertained to. It went off about 5 days later.

Zach
Old 11-13-2004, 01:48 PM
lovetoclown

I have the R/T cats, and my light comes on now an then. Performance said it was likely due to the cats. After a day or two it goes out and I may not see it for a couple months or so.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Got my sorted out...was a low thermstate threshold (I forget the code number). Was able to find my Palm and reloaded the OBD2 scanner software to find it out...very handy!

Now if I could jsut figure out how to keep my Palm from eating batteries !
Old 11-13-2004, 07:04 PM
ReavTek

Took it to the dealer, Maroone Nissan. My service advisor is excellent, complimented me on my upgrades and pulled up code for me. He said it was a "catalyst code" and since I had race pipes he said it was that, reset it for me too. How can I keep the ECU from hating my race pipes? I've heard something about an O2 Simulator, a pamplet to install one even came with my Stillen Race Pipes. Jason at Performance Nissan told me O2 Simulators dont come with Stillen Race Pipes so where can I get one?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Nano

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
ironically enough, mine came on last night too! I was just pulling away from a traffic light (it was raining), and bamn, it came on. I was really low on gas at the time, but nothing else about the car has changed. All my mods have been on since forever, so who knows

With the gasp cap, usually after 6 starts/offs of the car the code goes away (got that one once before) - I am on my 8th since it happened, but it is still on. Now the car is sitting with the negative terminal disconnected....will update later. If I could find my palm pilot, I could scan it myself!
that's ubber cool! I have like 2-3 palms lying around...

can you give me some more info? what palm do you need and what software cable.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 04:58 AM
zzzya

All anyone needs is a watch with a second hand. If you follow the instructions on ECU diagnostics and resetting your car will tell you what is going on and you can look up the code on the internet. You can also reset the ECU which eliminates the SES light. Quite easy, free and takes a matter of minutes.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yeah but gets confusing sometimes (lots of codes for ODB2) and you need to be in front of a pc

checkout www.pocketlogger.com - my buddy Mike is the owner. Very nice guy and I have used his stuff for years