Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stillen Dampner Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face Stillen Dampner Install Review

Just some FYI for those that plan on getting one or installing it.

Be prepared to grind down your the plates on the ends of your stock bolts that go into "bracket b" since the ones that stillen provide although with the same length and similar threading does not go all the way into the holes before tightening. The other part I had to grind was the ball joints on the dampner itself that go into "bracket B." Mine was no bolt-on affair and required some modifcation to work properly.

The engine does torque a bit less, but the install was a bit annoying to say the least. I would not recommend this item

Old 11-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Tex Willer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yikes... that's a **** poor job job from stillen

you can get universal torque dampers on ebay for 30-40$

120$ should be AT LEAST direct bolt on
Old 11-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally posted by Tex Willer
yikes... that's a **** poor job job from stillen

you can get universal torque dampers on ebay for 30-40$

120$ should be AT LEAST direct bolt on
I may have been an unlucky recipient of a bad example, but I am sure some others will experience the same thing I did. I spent about $80 since the forum member I bought it from sold it to me for that price for a brand new unit. Maybe he knew something I didn't? LOL JK
Old 11-18-2004, 04:59 PM
zdesign

Default Re: Stillen Dampner Install Review

Originally posted by Rickdogg

Be prepared to grind down your the plates on the ends of your stock bolts that go into "bracket b" since the ones that stillen provide although with the same length and similar threading does not go all the way into the holes before tightening. The other part I had to grind was the ball joints on the dampner itself that go into "bracket B." Mine was no bolt-on affair and required some modifcation to work properly.

The engine does torque a bit less, but the install was a bit annoying to say the least. I would not recommend this item

You have got to be SH*&%$* ME!!!

I installed mine in about 30 minutes with a rail of sockets, 2 allen wrenches and an open end wrench. Fits great.

Did you CALL Stillen and INFORM them you were having issues and ASK them for any advice BEFORE talking S*@$ on the board?
(Just a pet peeve of mine...)
Old 11-18-2004, 05:22 PM
taurran

Default Re: Re: Stillen Dampner Install Review

Originally posted by zdesign

I installed mine in about 30 minutes with a rail of sockets, 2 allen wrenches and an open end wrench. Fits great.

Did you CALL Stillen and INFORM them you were having issues and ASK them for any advice BEFORE talking S*@$ on the board?
Who gave Stillen Customer Service a forum account?
Old 11-18-2004, 05:43 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stillen Dampner Install Review

My holes in "bracket B" didn't quite line up with the gole in the frame rail. Real PITA! Would have been a fairly simply install if it wasn't for this. I will say it works well though.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:07 PM
350G

Default Re: Re: Re: Stillen Dampner Install Review

Originally posted by taurran
Who gave Stillen Customer Service a forum account?

I'm not a post wh@re, but I about lost it when I read that

In any case, it appears that more than one person believes this install is not as easy as our normal "bolt ons." Perception is reality . . .
Old 11-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally posted by zdesign

lmao. Damn what crawled up your ***? I'm just speaking of my experience with the item, so others know what to possibly expect during the install.

Yeah, let me whip out my cell phone at 10PM at night and call stillen for their support. I'm sure some helpful customer service rep would have been at my driveway in minutes!

Nice shill account by the way

Last edited by Rickdogg; 11-18-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally posted by ZU L8R
My holes in "bracket B" didn't quite line up with the gole in the frame rail. Real PITA! Would have been a fairly simply install if it wasn't for this. I will say it works well though.
I have never installed an engine dampner before, but I was shocked on how crappy the design was for a small "bolt on." Stillen you lost my faith on all of your other products.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:47 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Stillen Dampner Install Review

I have never installed an engine dampner before, but I was shocked on how crappy the design was for a small "bolt on." Stillen you lost my faith on all of your other products.
Same here, I won't be buying anymore Stillen products.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Mach430

Stillen seriously needs to work on their image. Their products are not half as good as they claim. HP numbers are largely over-inflated, and their in-house urethane facility produces pin-hole loaded crap!

I actually had someone from their customer service department turn his back to me and walk away when I went to complain about a spoiler that did not fit! Let's not forget how they rolled their eyes when I mentioned that I had spent $2k with their company. Enjoy the chargeback, you've earned it!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally posted by Mach430
Stillen seriously needs to work on their image. Their products are not half as good as they claim. HP numbers are largely over-inflated, and their in-house urethane facility produces pin-hole loaded crap!

I actually had someone from their customer service department turn his back to me and walk away when I went to complain about a spoiler that did not fit! Let's not forget how they rolled their eyes when I mentioned that I had spent $2k with their company. Enjoy the chargeback, you've earned it!
Wow! Sorry to hear about your experience.