Notices

Turbo Timer Install Write Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Timer Install Write Up

EDIT: JASON Z-YA
PICS ADDED TO POST 59 FOLLOWING THIS WRITE UP'S INSTRUCTIONS. Since first post pic links are dead!

Pics to follow guys..It will be tonight..

Step 1: Disconnect negative battery terminal. Open your first beer.

Step 2: Remove plastic trim panel in driver's side foot well where the fuse box is located

Step3: Remove the dash panels below the steeing wheel (note there are 4 screws that hold on the plastic piece directly under the steering wheel where the tilt wheel adjsuter is. One screw is sort of hidden above the lever that you push down to tilt the wheel)

Step 4: Unpack the turbo timer and all contents. Check your turbo timer for wiring charts. I used a Blitz FATT DCIII on my car so I will give the wiring colors for that. If you haven't moved on to your second beer do so now.

Step 5: There is a white connector on the lower side of the steering column. It is DIRECTLY in the center below the steering wheel. On this harness you will find a black wire with a red stripe. I do not have the pin number handy but every other wire on that harness is white with some other color stripe so you can't miss it.

Step 6: Solder (like I did) or crimp the ignition signal wire from the turbo timer harness to this wire. If you are using the Blitz turbo timer I mentioned it will be the green wire on the three pin harness.

Step 7: Find a 12 volt source for the turbo timer. I used the red wire in the fuse bank in the drivers side foot well. It is a solid red wire and is thicker then all the others down there (Probably 14 AWG in size). I also soldered this connection. (To use that wire I had to remove the black plastic coating on the Blitz harness so I could get enough length in these two directions but both wires were more then long enough. Your other option to tap 12 volt source is the White wire with the blue stripe on the same harness as the black with red wire under the steering column. The last 3 cars I did were tapped there with no issues. The 12 volt source wire on the Blitz turbo timer is a solid red color.

Step 8: Mount your turbo timer. The Blitz uses a remote mounted control box so that the control unit, screen, and buttons are a seperate unit that connects to the box via an interface cable. This makes placing the screen easy as it can be remote mounted from the main control unit. I mounted my main control box on top of a metal support bracket in the dash. (Above the lower plastic panel you removed).

Step 9: Connect ground to a good chasis ground somewhere under the dash. I already had a hole drilled and screw inserted from my gauge installation on the drivers side foot well. I simply ran the ground to that location. The ground wires on the Blitz turbo timer are a solid black color and there are two of them. Ground them to the same spot.

Step 10: If you have the Blitz unit I do connect the interface unit to the main control box.

Step 11: Reconnect the negative battery terminal. You should have opened your third beer by now. If not take a break and make sure you do that now.

Step 12: Turn the key to the on position but do not start the motor.

Step 13: Power on the turbo timer and ensure it is working. Set up the timer as needed. On my Blitz unit I have it set to manual mode and have the timer set to 1 minute 30 seconds

Step 14: Power off the accessories by removing the key

Step 15(a): Connect the purple wire on the Blitz unit to the e brake wire on your car. The e brake wire is located in the center console and it must be removed to access it. the stock wire is also purple. You can use a t tap to make this connection. (Note this is not mandatory to make the turbo timer work. I will explain in Step 15b)

Step 15(b): Most turbo timers have the option to turn off when the ebrake is released. I did not use this feature for a variety of reasons. Its up to you whether or not you choose to use this. If you are like me and don't want to, simply connect the e brake signal wire (purple on the Blitz harness) to the same ground point you grounded the main unit to.

Step 16: Start the car. The turbo timer should come on. Ensure your original settings were not lost. Allow the car to warm up while you finish your third beer and open your 4th.

Step 17: Remove the key from the car and when you do it should remain running. If the motor shuts off look to see of the turbo timer or an accessories are still on. The timer should go into countdown mode. On the Blitz unit it will begin to countdown and flash red every half second. Allow it to countdown and take that time to polish off your 4th beer. If the motor shuts off when the timer does you are done with the wiring and set up. By this point you should be feeling a small buzz. If not drive to the store to get some more beer, if so allow a friend to drive you. When you get to the store remove the key, get out of the car and close the door. Press the lock button and watch the timer go down. This is your final check to ensure it works properly. Go into the store and buy another 6 pack of Corona. When you come out the car should be off.

Step 18: If it does in fact work to spec, drive home. If you have the Blitz unit find a place to mount your interface unit (the one with the screen and buttons) I chose to mount mine just below the two gauges in my Nav cubby. I will attach a pic of where I mounted my blitz screen now but I will post pics of the actual unit later.

Step 19: Once the interface unit is mounted and all the cabling is ziptied out of the way Re-assemble all the dash panels. You should have your 5th beer in hand at this point.

Step 20: Turn the car on for one final check...finish your 5th beer and open the 6th. Remove your key and everything should work as before. Finish off the 6th beer while the timer counts down. When its done so are you. Using this you have both successfully installed your turbo timer, drank through a 6 pack of good beer, and re-stocked the beer you just drank.

A couple of notes based on my install: First the ignition signal wire on the turbo timer MUST go to the ignition module black and red wire under the steering wheel. There is another black and red wire in the fuse bank in the drivers side foot well. This is where my guages are tagged. Using this wire does not work. I tried connecting the Turbo Timer there and ended up having my gauges stay on for the countdown but not my motor. So you MUST use the black wire with red stripe under the steering wheel on the ignition module.

Another note, there is a trim ring around the key switch (where you put your keys to start the car) It is plastic and must be removed before the panel will come loose.

Also of note...the factory alarm will not arm when you push the lock button and the motor is still running. The doors WILL lock though. There are many ways to get around that. If you are like me my car is in range and view of me and the key fob both at work and at home. I simply get to my desk at work or into my living room at home and hit the lock button again when there. My alarm then activates.
Hope this was helpful to everyone. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer what I can.

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 05-12-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

Pics of the mounting location for my turbo timer interface unit.
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Timer Install Write Up-pic2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2005, 01:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

One last thing...thanks to protocav, jimrhit, and bpl for their assistance with the install. And a note to everyone, don't let protocav near you when you are on the phone with an XM radio rep....
Old 10-25-2005, 04:25 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for your effort. I will make sure that the protocav guy is not near me when I talk to the XM guy.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:01 AM
002-M-P

Those beer references remind me of my water injection install last week

Good write-up BTW.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Robert....nice write-up. Glad I could help.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:42 AM
MIAPLAYA

Thanks all for the kind words...and thanks Sharif for the Turbo Timer....
Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 AM
theking

Thanks for the write-up! Even without a harness like most oem turbo cars it's still an easy job. Thanks for puting it in writing!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:45 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by theking
Thanks for the write-up! Even without a harness like most oem turbo cars it's still an easy job. Thanks for puting it in writing!
Glad to help...a harness would have been nice for a quick plug and play thing but yeah its only three wires...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:54 PM
MIAPLAYA

Sorry for the delay but here are some finished product pics:

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 05-01-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:03 AM
BPL

Look good Rob! Couple questions... Just out of curiosity, why don't you want the e-brake sensor conected to the timer? It seems like a good secutiy precaution to me. Also, what were your thoughts on getting around the problem with the factory alarm not arming while the engine is running? I'd like to fix that if possible and this function seems to be controlled directly by the BCM...

I had a hell of a time removing that lower dash cover when I did my install. I now realize that it's because I forgot the beer part.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:16 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by BPL
Look good Rob! Couple questions... Just out of curiosity, why don't you want the e-brake sensor conected to the timer? It seems like a good secutiy precaution to me. Also, what were your thoughts on getting around the problem with the factory alarm not arming while the engine is running? I'd like to fix that if possible and this function seems to be controlled directly by the BCM...

I had a hell of a time removing that lower dash cover when I did my install. I now realize that it's because I forgot the beer part.
I'm thinking theres got to be a way to send a singal when the 12 volt source is gone. maybe a relay or something to discharge a cap...I don't know. I may order an extra key fob and start tinkering with it..
Old 12-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Ant830

The alarm would be great. Also...does anyone else have a problem when you park the car with auto headlight mode on and the lights stay on after the Turbo Timer shuts off? Is there a way around it? Sometimes I forget and leave the lights on for quite a while.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Zilvia

will these instructions work for any Turbo Timer
Old 12-21-2005, 04:37 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Zilvia
will these instructions work for any Turbo Timer
Yes they will...note that the color of the wires for your turbo timer will vary... Mine was a green ignition wire...yours may be another color. Power and ground should still be red and black respectively...
Old 12-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Zilvia

cool thanks
Old 12-21-2005, 04:46 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Zilvia
cool thanks
No worries..
Old 03-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

ok, Im going to give it a try with the HKS Turbo Timer. Wish me luck...
Old 03-16-2006, 09:27 AM
barthelb
Master

How do you guys feel about the proximity alarm, the lil LCD screen one, with the built in Turbo timer? I'm thinking about that so I can now if someone is tampering with the vehicle and where at, plus get a turbo timer in 1 device. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Zilvia

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
ok, Im going to give it a try with the HKS Turbo Timer. Wish me luck...
yeah thats the one i wanted to try on our car....post up your results when you finish

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer Install Write Up