Notices

DIY oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:52 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before trying to install it, make sure you have the write size wrench/socket to fit the nut. I think its 27mm? or maybe 26? I can't remember. It's not something people normally have sitting around.

Also PM me some pictures of the girl in your Avatar =)
Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Z PHAT Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the wrench tip! Let me ask my wife if it's ok to send you some more pics

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Before trying to install it, make sure you have the write size wrench/socket to fit the nut. I think its 27mm? or maybe 26? I can't remember. It's not something people normally have sitting around.

Also PM me some pictures of the girl in your Avatar =)
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

27 IIRC. I 26 is uncommon so i'm pretty sure it's 27. I have all the way to 32mm but usually sets go 24,27,30,32. IDK why but that's what a "standard" set goes to. weird
Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by binder
27 IIRC. I 26 is uncommon so i'm pretty sure it's 27. I have all the way to 32mm but usually sets go 24,27,30,32. IDK why but that's what a "standard" set goes to. weird
The it was 27 although it was a ***** to get it up in there. I really need to pick up some shorty wrench sets. I had one in my hand a month ago and put it back. I would have loved to of had it for the install.

Thanks for the wrench tip! Let me ask my wife if it's ok to send you some more pics
Ask her if you can send some basic ones then when you get the ok send me the good ones

Where's she from?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Z PHAT Z

She's Vietnamese

Ask her if you can send some basic ones then when you get the ok send me the good ones

Where's she from?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by Z PHAT Z
She's Vietnamese
My wife is Vietnamese =)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 PM
binder

i used a socket, not a wrench, worked perfectly.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 PM
jeffie7

I used a socket also but it didn't fit all that well, I had too much chit in the way =(
Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 AM
binder

so have you logged oil temp numbers to compare?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:18 PM
jeffie7

so have you logged oil temp numbers to compare?
nope =(
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
SoldzMyZ

Question... So you increase the oil capacity from 5 to 7, so when you change the oil, does that mean that all 7 qts drain out, or is 2 qts suspended in the new lines and in the oil cooler? THerefore you only need 5 qts???? Been wondering about this question actually.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:58 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by booey1979
Question... So you increase the oil capacity from 5 to 7, so when you change the oil, does that mean that all 7 qts drain out, or is 2 qts suspended in the new lines and in the oil cooler? THerefore you only need 5 qts???? Been wondering about this question actually.
I have an oil pan spacer so I'm not sure how much oil the oil lines/cooler hold. Maybe 1qt or maybe slightly less.

yes it will stay in the lines unless you disconnect them and let them drain, since my cooler is mounted with the inlet/outlet on the top side, the only way to fully drain it would be to blow on one line pushing the oil out the other.

Many cars have oil coolers, it's nothing new, when dealerships do oil changes on cars like BMW they do not drain the oil cooler, that oil just gets mixed up in the new oil. then once its drained it comes out leaving once again a little in the cooler.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 AM
binder

Many cars have oil coolers, it's nothing new, when dealerships do oil changes on cars like BMW they do not drain the oil cooler, that oil just gets mixed up in the new oil. then once its drained it comes out leaving once again a little in the cooler.
first yes, there is no way to completely drain a car so don't worry about it like jeffie says.

second, i have mine mounted on it's side (so the ports are on the side of the cooler) and i get just about as much out as i put in. I use 6 quarts and everytime i change it it still takes 6 quarts to get it to the "H" line so that means i'm draining pretty much teh same as i'm putting in there.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Z PHAT Z

My wife is Vietnamese =)
REally? What a Coincidence. I just finished my Aerocatch latch installation and Titek air duct yesterday on my day off. Tomorrow will be doing the oil cooler. Got everything ready and just to jack the car up
Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 PM
jeffie7

REally? What a Coincidence. I just finished my Aerocatch latch installation and Titek air duct yesterday on my day off. Tomorrow will be doing the oil cooler. Got everything ready and just to jack the car up
Still waiting for those pics =) =) =)
Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 AM
MDHRZ

Nice DIY as usual. I wish I did mine by myself (not that Frank did a bad job). Finding the time to do it is the problem. Nothing is hard once you learn how to do it. What was the total cost and time to complete?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Nice DIY as usual. I wish I did mine by myself (not that Frank did a bad job). Finding the time to do it is the problem. Nothing is hard once you learn how to do it. What was the total cost and time to complete?
2 pieces of aluminum at I think 4 bucks for smaller one 6 bucks for bigger one.
random nuts/bolts maybe 5 bucks.

so about $15.00 in parts.

Time, took a long time because my work bench was on the other side of the house. had to go in take shoes off, walk out back drill a hole, go back out front, double check to make sure its where I wanted it... total PITA. If I had my old garage and had a work bench inside the garage I could have done it in a 1/5 of the time.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Z PHAT Z

Just took my front bumper off today and noticed that the freaking washer fluid is right in the location where I want to mount it( like ur location) So I have less room to work with and making brackets is PITA. Been sitting in front of the car trying to came up with a good design for the bracket.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 AM
binder

Just took my front bumper off today and noticed that the freaking washer fluid is right in the location where I want to mount it( like ur location) So I have less room to work with and making brackets is PITA. Been sitting in front of the car trying to came up with a good design for the bracket.
don't mount it out that far. mount it in the front of the car to the right of the washer tank.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Z PHAT Z

don't mount it out that far. mount it in the front of the car to the right of the washer tank.
The washer tank is on the driver side right next to the intercooler. So This oil cooler will be to the right next to it. I can relocate the tank to the passenger side but too lazy LOL. I just finished 1 side of the bracket and will do the other side tonight after work. I work 12 hours day and don't have much time to work on my car. Will take some pictures for you guys to see if it's ok.

Quick Reply: DIY oil cooler install