Notices

DIY oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:41 PM
litoflow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im so doing this! Thanks for the info bro!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 AM
idrive_MD

Nice looking setup, I might have to try your bracket trick on my power steering unit. What I have is working, but it could be a lot better.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Z_enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
If N/A and not being tracked I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference.
I really had no desire to do it but after seeing oil temps of other boosted guys, I went ahead with it.
thanks. i do like to do a drift event every month or two but not like every weekends.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a 03, planned on during this in a few weeks. Will our pump handle that cooler and -10an lines or do you recommend stepping up to the Revup oil pump?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mw9
I also have a 03, planned on during this in a few weeks. Will our pump handle that cooler and -10an lines or do you recommend stepping up to the Revup oil pump?
for the amount of time and cost at changing the oil pump it will work fine.

Unless you are highly boosted or running a lot of hp you won't have issues with a standard oil pump.

Changing the pump means taking the front timing cover and all the front end of the car off. Very labor intensive so it'll cost a lot of shop hours.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:12 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mw9
like what binder said revup is not necessary unless you're involved with a big turbo build
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I just ordered the parts that you listed jeffie7. I made sure to get the bigger oil cooler that you suggested. Im glad to know I saved a couple $ by reading this fread. Im gunna try to mount the kit where ZphatZ mounted his. I might just make a bracket for my transcooler and oil cooler underneath my intercooler.

Ill post pics of progress. Im thinking about AMS oil or mobil one. Not sure yet
Old 02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
litoflow

hell yeah! just ordered everything, hopefully i'll have it by the end of the week. I gotta figure out where the hell im gonna put the oil cooler with the damn greddy intercooler. I think the driver side is a pretty good spot.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Bigalow

GTM gives you SS lines with ends that screw onto place.
That almost tempts me to purchase the GTM kit. I want to do this DiY but I prefer to use SS lines as opposed to rubber per my Z constantely being on the track. Anyone gone the SS way with this write-up? If so, what products did you use
Old 03-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Dook-E

^ i would use Nylon braided lines if i was you man. much easier to work with and just as strong as the SS lines.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Bigalow

^ ^ ^

Thanks I looked into that. For my situation, I need nylon braided or SS lines. Adding those lines brought everything to a little over $400 (before shipping) and brought this DIY in direct completion with GTMs lower-end cooler kit:
http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...9&cat=0&page=1
($416 before shipping)

I'm not sure if this price is accurate:
Mishi (just need to replace sandwich with MOCAL)
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=4115

I’m still haven’t made up my mind as to DIY or catalog products.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Originally Posted by Bigalow
^ ^ ^

Thanks I looked into that. For my situation, I need nylon braided or SS lines. Adding those lines brought everything to a little over $400 (before shipping) and brought this DIY in direct completion with GTMs lower-end cooler kit:
http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...9&cat=0&page=1
($416 before shipping)

I'm not sure if this price is accurate:
Mishi (just need to replace sandwich with MOCAL)
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=4115

I’m still haven’t made up my mind as to DIY or catalog products.

I used racerpartswholesale.com and pieced together my oil cooler kit. Bought all the A.N. fittings and the shop just cut the SS lines to the right length during install and pressed the fittings. I got my oil cooler install done for free with my TT kit or I probally would have done it myself.

edit: if you have time and you really want braided ss lines if you mount and figure out your lengths and fittings you can go to a speed shop and have them made up exactly how you want them. Prob much cheaper that way then to buy something like the GTM kit. I figured it out back when I did mine and I save well over $100 from their BASIC kit and my cooler, and lines are bigger, and the end product I think is at least if not better then their racing kit.

Last edited by Barnabas; 03-15-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Lrn2Go

I just fabbed up my own SS lines when I did mine (even though it's not a F/I engine... still). https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...n-a-na-hr.html

Edit: Also... +1 on http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Originally Posted by Lrn2Go
I just fabbed up my own SS lines when I did mine (even though it's not a F/I engine... still). https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...n-a-na-hr.html

Edit: Also... +1 on http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/
your thread wont load

doesnt it require a special tool to clamp SS lines and A.N fittings together? I have heard if you use a cheap one then the fitting isnt as tight as it really should be? How did you do yours??

Edit: It loaded. I guess the reusable end types just tighten down.... Good to know

Last edited by Barnabas; 03-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Lrn2Go

Originally Posted by Barnabas
your thread wont load

doesnt it require a special tool to clamp SS lines and A.N fittings together? I have heard if you use a cheap one then the fitting isnt as tight as it really should be? How did you do yours??

Edit: It loaded. I guess the reusable end types just tighten down.... Good to know
I was a little worried when you said it wouldn't load! Glad it ended up not being a real problem though.

The SS lines fit into the first fitting (not easily) that is internally ribbed to try to prevent slipping back off. The screw-down fitting side forces the SS hose into those ribs and locks it in place. It would be easiest to assemble them with a vice and a crescent wrench... but I used 2 crescent wrenches and held pressure on the lines with a free hand (used my foot to hold one of them).

Here's the assembly instructions from my thread, to make it easy for those of you thinking of going that way here in this thread. EDIT: Also... note the couple of paragraphs at the end. These lines will typically be interchangeable as a "standard" fitting. Also... Teflon interior (TFE Type) lines cannot be used with this type of fitting... and are usually limited to -3AN and -4AN sized lines!

Last edited by Lrn2Go; 03-16-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Michla22

Anyone see a general increase in oil psi? Mine has raised about 25 psi. At warm idle it's at 37psi (slightly) high. But at about 3000 rpm/ 80ish mph it's at about 93 psi. At wot it will jump up to 110-120's. Oil temp is 175-180 during this time.

My stock oil cooler was removed so this may have something to do with that. Also the filter has been relocated to the front as well.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock oil cooler?

Mine didn't change at all.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 AM
Michla22

Stock oil cooler?

Mine didn't change at all.
Hmm - stock cooler being the water line that heats/cools the engine oil in the form of a sandwich plate between the block and the oil filter. :

Name:  OilCooler.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  29.1 KB

ref: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...r-removal.html

Pics of my setup:

Old 05-16-2011, 10:29 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

either that picture looks funny or those are really small oil lines. You need a minimum of 8an lines (1/2"). Preferably 10an though. Those lines look like 3/8".

Unless there is a restriction the oil pressure shouldn't go up. Mine never raised and i've never heard of one raising if the proper flowing oil cooler along with properly sized lines are used.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Michla22

Originally Posted by binder
either that picture looks funny or those are really small oil lines. You need a minimum of 8an lines (1/2"). Preferably 10an though. Those lines look like 3/8".

Unless there is a restriction the oil pressure shouldn't go up. Mine never raised and i've never heard of one raising if the proper flowing oil cooler along with properly sized lines are used.
Hmmm it has 8an lines

Quick Reply: DIY oil cooler install