Notices

Stillen engine torque damper for 2008 350z install and review

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:28 PM
graymetalicsilv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen engine torque damper for 2008 350z install and review

Stillent damper purchased directly from http://www.stillen.com/. Difficult installation, but overall satisfied with product when coupled with slight modification. The diameter of the rod eye is larger than the mounting bolts, so there is quite a bit of free-play when damper is mounted. To solve the problem, spacers are made using about 3/4 inch length of brass tubing. Two diameters of tubing are used together, small one (11/32) goes around the bolt, and the bigger diameter (forgot measurement) one goes on top of that to take up the remaining space. The tubing was made by “Precision Metals” and was purchased from Ace Hardware.

My installation:

1. Remove the left air box, the one above the power steering pump.

2. Mount the damper base for the engine, this is difficult because of the very limited space you have. The engine must be cold because your hand will be squeezed in and in contact with the engine.

3. Remove factory bolt on frame side where the damper bolt will attach. Do this before mounting damper on engine side because the bolt will get in the way of length adjustment of the damper.

4. Mount damper on engine side, adjust length, then mount on frame side.

Result: Vibration slightly increased throughout the car, at idle and driving, but not excessive. The car is more responsive to clutch engagement. I would agree with the reviewer of another damper who said it's like 1/10 the feel from a high performing clutch. Please note that my left engine mount puked its silicone liquid, so the effect of the mount may be more noticeable for my car.
Attached Thumbnails Stillen engine torque damper for 2008 350z install and review-p3080081.jpg