Notices

How can i complete this setup (Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:00 PM
leftforzed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i complete this setup (Exhaust)

It's time to replace the stock exhaust system on my 2004 Nissan 350z. (cracks, old age)

I probably wont replace the exhaust manifold.
I have purchased an:

Tomei Expreme 350z titanium exhaust muffler $1,000
Motordyne XYZ pipe with the resonator $500

1) Does the tomei expreme catback exhaust muffler allow me to get rid of my current cats and upgrade to test pipes?( and still be CA legal) (SOLVED-DUMB QUESTION)
2) will this be a sufficient exhaust upgrade?
3) Am I missing something important?

Thanks for the help. This is my first post on my350z. -Drew

Last edited by leftforzed; 08-01-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:29 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome, Drew- your questions on upgrading your exhaust depend on what your goals are. If they're performance-based, get ready to be disappointed, as there's no real advantage to simply changing the muffler and midpipe. You'll need an UpRev tune to help that. As you've already discovered, you'll need to retain your cats to be emissions compliant (although I have no idea whether other exhaust changes will affect CA rules). You'll also need fresh gaskets for your install and should check to see if they were included with either the muffler or midpipe. The exhaust note is probably the biggest change you'll find and I hope you like it!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:36 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by leftforzed
It's time to replace the stock exhaust system on my 2004 Nissan 350z. (cracks, old age)

I probably wont replace the exhaust manifold.
I have purchased an:

Tomei Expreme 350z titanium exhaust muffler $1,000
Motordyne XYZ pipe with the resonator $500

1) Does the tomei expreme catback exhaust muffler allow me to get rid of my current cats and upgrade to test pipes?( and still be CA legal) (SOLVED-DUMB QUESTION)
2) will this be a sufficient exhaust upgrade?
3) Am I missing something important?

Thanks for the help. This is my first post on my350z. -Drew
Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome, Drew- your questions on upgrading your exhaust depend on what your goals are. If they're performance-based, get ready to be disappointed, as there's no real advantage to simply changing the muffler and midpipe. You'll need an UpRev tune to help that. As you've already discovered, you'll need to retain your cats to be emissions compliant (although I have no idea whether other exhaust changes will affect CA rules). You'll also need fresh gaskets for your install and should check to see if they were included with either the muffler or midpipe. The exhaust note is probably the biggest change you'll find and I hope you like it!
Does the Tomei include just the muffler or the muffler AND mid-pipe? If it has the complete mid-rear setup, you're good from the catalysts back.

Test pipes, OTOH (as it seems you found out?), are not legal in CA and you will fail smog as soon as they shove a mirror under the car. (Neither are HFCs) Not really sure why anyone wants to install TPs when you're going to need to go through a biannual hassle of reinstalling them for smog. There isn't a big enough power gain to warrant them. My $.02 anyways.

And yes, what dkmura said.... the exhaust note will be drastically different. Big singles are very loud. Sounds good though.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:04 AM
leftforzed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice.
(The car is 15 years old and 90% factory stock.
The primary goal is to replace the old cracked muffler. I understand that this wont be a noticeable performance upgrade but it will make her tone deeper.
I will add pictures below of the parts included in the deal.

1) What am I to do with my current Cat converter setup?
Replace them from Nissan or go a different brand ?
buy and deal with a HFC that has a Check Engine Light solution?

Last edited by leftforzed; 08-02-2019 at 09:10 AM.