Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

LSX swap questions inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:55 AM
mastatikle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSX swap questions inspection

I no there's a sub or whatever for this but I don't think it's very active. I recently bought a ls1 for my Z and pretty much have everything figured out except for one big thing. How do I get it to pass NYS inspection? I don't have to worry about emissions or smog. The only thing they do here is plug into the ODBII port and scan. I can't seem to find a clear cut answer on how I can get this to work. It seems like most people with swaps have their cars on the street. I originally planned on using a standalone and wiring in an ODBII port but I have to be able to plug in the make/ model and vin for the Nissan car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:17 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Sub'd

When I was looking into doing this in CT, my plan was to hook up the evap system and put bungs in the exhaust for the o2 sensors. Basically make it so that all of the codes they scan for were going to check out. Then Have every other DTC disabled using uprev.

Most likely wouldn't work.

Rethinking it, it may be possible to use one of the standalone ECU's like you thought, just to trick the emissions computer. Then have your GM computer running the engine.

I also looked into just seeing if it was legal to have them hook into the GM computer, talked to a bunch of people, and long story short it would never be legal. Doing what I stated above is also illegally simulating emissions equipment...

How did everyone else do it is a really interesting question...
Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 AM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T hey changed inspection.. ..just because CEL is not on it doesnt mean it will pass...all your Sensors have to say ready or complete when they plug it in...disabling dtc with uprew will make it say not supported and it wont pass anyway
Old 02-18-2016, 04:16 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^This same thing in Mass with Uprev tune which bypasses those sensors. FAIL.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't suggest this but I imagine most look for a shady mom n pop shop that will ignore the emission standards for the right price. I know in PA you can register a car as a collector car which exempts from emissions, but you were restricted to 5k miles on the odometer a year. You'll have to check with your state on legality but in most states it is incredibly illegal to tamper with mileage, but if your speedometer happens to break or malfunction most odometers don't record miles properly (I don't know if this is true for a Z but a broken speedometer isn't uncommon in the 240sx world).
Old 02-19-2016, 09:00 AM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by Freise
I don't suggest this but I imagine most look for a shady mom n pop shop that will ignore the emission standards for the right price. I know in PA you can register a car as a collector car which exempts from emissions, but you were restricted to 5k miles on the odometer a year. You'll have to check with your state on legality but in most states it is incredibly illegal to tamper with mileage, but if your speedometer happens to break or malfunction most odometers don't record miles properly (I don't know if this is true for a Z but a broken speedometer isn't uncommon in the 240sx world).
Originally Posted by wisniaPl
T hey changed inspection.. ..just because CEL is not on it doesnt mean it will pass...all your Sensors have to say ready or complete when they plug it in...disabling dtc with uprew will make it say not supported and it wont pass anyway

They tightened down the laws, the new computer system wouldn't allow them to pass you if you didn't trick the computer itself. There is even an eye scanner to verify who is doing the test...

Wis: What sensors specifically does it look for? I would imagine you can get most of those in working order. Emissions doesn't check THAT many things. I think it is feasible.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:52 PM
rich2342

A Consumer Guide to Readiness Monitor Failures as Part of the New York State Vehicle Inspection Program

What is a Readiness Monitor?

Vehicles equipped with On Board Diagnostic II (OBDII), which includes most 1996 or newer gasoline-powered vehicles and most 1997 or newer diesel-powered vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) less than 8,501 pounds, self-test their emission systems utilizing various monitors. Vehicles perform up to 11 system tests, depending on year, make and model of the vehicle. These tests are commonly referred to as "readiness monitors." The readiness monitors identify whether the vehicle's computer has completed the required "tests" while the vehicle is being driven.
If a test has been completed, the system status will be reported "ready." An uncompleted test will be reported "not ready." An OBDII vehicle will not pass the annual inspection unless the required monitors are "ready." The Vehicle Inspection Report from the test equipment will identify monitors that are not ready.
The test equipment reads the OBDII and readiness monitor status as part of the vehicle's emissions inspection. The vehicle inspector cannot change the information reported by the vehicle.

How Many Monitors Have to be Ready?

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines allow up to two monitors to be in a "not ready" state for model year 1996 through 2000 vehicles and one monitor "not ready" for 2001 or newer model year vehicles.

What Causes a "Not-Ready" Report?

Causes of a "not ready" report:
  • Recent vehicle repairs in which diagnostic trouble codes have been cleared with a OBDII scan tool; or,
  • if the battery had been recently disconnected or replaced; or,
  • if the vehicle's computer requires a software update; or,
  • a pending problem has not yet illuminated the "check engine" light.

What Do I Do Now?

To allow your vehicle's monitors to perform their tests and reset them to a "ready" state, your vehicle will have to be driven in a special way called a "drive cycle." Running through the drive cycle sets the readiness monitors so they can detect any emissions failures. Your vehicle's specific drive cycle can depend on the vehicle make and model, and which monitor needs to be reset. In most cases, two drive cycles are required, separated by a cool down period.

What Are My Options?

If the only reason your vehicle failed the inspection was due to readiness monitors not being in a "ready" state, and your current inspection has already expired, the inspection software will issue a 10-day extension that will allow you to legally operate your vehicle on the highways. During those ten days, you can either:
  1. Drive the vehicle as directed by your owner’s manual (look under OBD); use the generic drive cycle on the back of this brochure; or consult with a qualified auto technician who can tell you how to complete a vehicle or monitor specific drive cycle. Be sure to return to the inspection station within ten days to get the vehicle re-inspected.
  2. Negotiate with the inspection station to have a technician perform the drive cycles according to manufacturer specific guidelines for a fee you will pay.
If you take the vehicle from the inspection facility to perform the drive cycle yourself, the inspection station operator can charge you an emission re-inspection fee, up to the maximum fee allowed for an
Old 02-19-2016, 04:12 PM
yosip1115

If we gather info on the specific tests we can probably satisfy all of them, so that they wouldn't even know it wasn't running a VQ. They don't pop the hood in CT. Just plug in.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:16 PM
rich2342

It depends on the individual state. Massachusetts can tell when they plug in. If a rom has been flashed it gets a new serial # if the z's serial # has been changed it results in a flag.

More and more states are increasing these standards due to the EPA laws.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:24 PM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by rich2342
It depends on the individual state. Massachusetts can tell when they plug in. If a rom has been flashed it gets a new serial # if the z's serial # has been changed it results in a flag.

More and more states are increasing these standards due to the EPA laws.
Don't knownabout anywhere besides CT. I've passed multiple times here flashed, turbo'd, etc. Don't know about NYC...
Old 11-28-2017, 06:12 PM
rich2342

bumping this. Did you ever find out how inspections work with a swapped LS?

I am potentially interested in a swap, but I need it to be street legal. MA is by far the worst state for emissions etc..

How have all the other swaps passed emissions?
Old 11-28-2017, 07:44 PM
mastatikle

Originally Posted by rich2342
bumping this. Did you ever find out how inspections work with a swapped LS?

I am potentially interested in a swap, but I need it to be street legal. MA is by far the worst state for emissions etc..

How have all the other swaps passed emissions?

Nope, I found no luck. I spent hours and hours researching. One recommended grabbing a traditional GM ecu and writing the Nissan vin on it. GM used like the same ecu for numerous vehicles and different motors. Basically use the complete stock GM harness and obdII plug. When plugged into for emissions and Nissan vin will show and theoretically everything will go good. I believe this could be done but using a stock ecu ruled this out for me because you’re limited with tuning options. No boost by gear, no multiple fuel maps, no anti lag, nitrous add ons, no traction control, no data logging, no line lock, etc. basically a bunch of really necessary things for a boosted v8. You could get add ons for all that stuff but they rarely ever work right and having 6+ add ons is a lot of wiring. So the LSX would be in near stock form If I wanted stock power I’d keep the V6 rather than going through hassle of swapping LSX and having to keep it stick to pass emissions “cats and exhaust. would be to register it in a different state that did not have inspections like Florida or SC. There are others but those come to mind. I ended up selling my 370z. Still have the LSX sitting in my garage. Ended up buying a M6 gran coupe stock it has a V8TT and with a tune and supporting mods can make north of 700whp and tq. I have around 540whp at the moment and spin a 21” 325 (13” wide) tire to 60mph. I thought I would want more power but this is scary enough as is. I wanted 1000whp for a TTlsx in my Z, without TC and other safety features of an aftermarket or “stand alone ecu” you’re asking for a casualty. Nothing beats the low end power of a V8. I’ll never own another V6 unless it was a hyper car and had a electric motor for down low.

Last edited by mastatikle; 11-28-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:23 AM
yosip1115

Same, you'll always be caught "simulating emissions equipment" per CT DOT in my case. If anyone has found a way please chime in. I ended up just going TT VQ.

I don't really regret it though......
Old 11-29-2017, 08:20 AM
mastatikle

Originally Posted by yosip1115
Same, you'll always be caught "simulating emissions equipment" per CT DOT in my case. If anyone has found a way please chime in. I ended up just going TT VQ.

I don't really regret it though......
yeah there’s no solid way if they go that far. Almost impossible if they do a sniff test as well where they stick a probe in the exhaust. I can’t remember what states do that. Like I said, you can do the swap using a completely stock LSX and matching computer and harness. Just have to have someone flash your VIN onto it and run the obdII plug. You will be limited to stock engine, exhaust and ecu capabilities. Maybe if an aftermarket ecu company makes an ecu with an obdII output and runs its own phantom program where it acts like a stock ecu and passes all tests. Or if a private person made a downloadable program that can be added to an aftermarket ecu and do the same thing. But there’s a bunch of legal repercussions bound to happen.

oh also, some states have “custom” options when registering vehicles. Basically they don’t have to pass the same inspections as a normal passenger vehicle. An example would be like a float for a parade or custom show truck for a fair or charity event.

Best bet bet is to build the car and throw a dealer plate on it or get a p.o box in another state and register and insure it there. You’d really have to **** a cop off for him do go digging into why you actually have a car registered from another state present in your resident stare so often.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:32 AM
yosip1115

I may be wrong, but I believe you are referring to registering as a composite vehicle. I looked into that route, got laughed at "I don't know what the hell you're thinking putting a Corvette motor in a Japanese car" baha.

Basically he said a composite vehicle has to be frame up custom with no VIN numbers associated with any of the components (or maybe just the frame itself, It's been a few years)

Your out of state plan is probably the best bet. Just need that aftermarket ecu with a functional obdII system like you said.

How well can you do with a stock gm ECU? We do pretty well with uprev in our case...
Old 11-29-2017, 09:09 AM
mastatikle

Originally Posted by yosip1115
I may be wrong, but I believe you are referring to registering as a composite vehicle. I looked into that route, got laughed at "I don't know what the hell you're thinking putting a Corvette motor in a Japanese car" baha.

Basically he said a composite vehicle has to be frame up custom with no VIN numbers associated with any of the components (or maybe just the frame itself, It's been a few years)

Your out of state plan is probably the best bet. Just need that aftermarket ecu with a functional obdII system like you said.

How well can you do with a stock gm ECU? We do pretty well with uprev in our case...
yeah different states have different names for it. I’m about 60% sure it’s “custom vehicle” here in NY. For future reference keep your intentions of the build to yourself. I wouldn’t inform anyone from DMV or the state on the reason for you registering a car in another state or trying to a certain type of way in your current state. They’ll never help you.

That’s the thing, if you do the out of state route you can do a simple aftermarket ecu with every tuning option you want and NEED. No need for obdii or anything stock. Makes the install too easy. No cutting, splicing, no hunting down sensors and hoping everything works. Everything is plug and play these days.

Keep in mind the stock GM ecu is over a decade old that would be compatible so it doesn’t have have all the new features like these newer Nissans. At most I think you can do a custom map and delete some codes. That’s about it without adding anything to it like a tc module or anti lag kit.

Uprev and especially Ecutek are way way way more advanced. I think I saw something where you could manipulate the STOCK gauges in the 370z to read for different things without touching a wire, just a button on a laptop.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:02 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

God I wish I could afford a LSX. I was expecting a kid all talk, but you already bought it haha

This should be an amazing build.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:22 PM
mastatikle

Originally Posted by CK_32
God I wish I could afford a LSX. I was expecting a kid all talk, but you already bought it haha

This should be an amazing build.
I’m not sure if you’re referring to me but yeah I was serious about it. As soon as a company came out with the motor mount kit for the swap I went and bought the engine was going to build a 370ci LSX with twins to match the car, Nissan 370z. Since I ran into the inspection issue I never went all the way so the motor is just sitting in my garage until I figure out what to put it in.

Btw, I think it’s cheaper to build a boosted LSX than it is to boost the stock 3.7. <8k for a mild setup.

Last edited by mastatikle; 11-29-2017 at 09:23 PM.