Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

N54? M50? Inline 6 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022 | 09:21 AM
DarkZ03

I going to go ahead and assume the reason you don't just throw a turbo on it is cause the engine is stock and it's not built.
I am also going to assume that the prospect of building the engine is what's enticing the swap idea.
When one would look at the idea of a stage 1 engine from Soho at $16k+ then a swap could look like a bargain, then again look at the Hi/Lo series, they spent $10k in stuff just to adapt the LS to the Z! This cost is what 99% of swappers don't think about, just because you buy a "donor" doesn't mean you can transfer and it will work.
The following users liked this post:
iczeeZ33 (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022 | 09:34 AM
iczeeZ33

It is a stock DE still. I don’t like the VQ. Plain and simple. The Z33 has giant engine bay once it’a opened up. I’m considering doing this or something similar because I’m LOOKING for a project lol. This isn’t a hi/lo project, as it’s not been done before as far as I can see. There’s no cheap easy way to do this.I think you guys are really misunderstanding
Originally Posted by DarkZ03
I going to go ahead and assume the reason you don't just throw a turbo on it is cause the engine is stock and it's not built.
I am also going to assume that the prospect of building the engine is what's enticing the swap idea.
When one would look at the idea of a stage 1 engine from Soho at $16k+ then a swap could look like a bargain, then again look at the Hi/Lo series, they spent $10k in stuff just to adapt the LS to the Z! This cost is what 99% of swappers don't think about, just because you buy a "donor" doesn't mean you can transfer and it will work.
Old 09-07-2022 | 10:43 AM
iideadeyeii

Originally Posted by iczeeZ33
That, software and wiring, getting CAN to communicate and figuring out a ECU. The physical mounting and what not is the easy stuff. It just takes time. A ZF gearbox would eliminate the use and expense of a custom clutch and flywheel setup.
You run 2 harnesses. I just swapped a 91 ranger with an ls and you just use the engine harness/ignition from the donor vehicle.
I've also swapped a T8D into a geo metro and just used both harnesses. The column was used to run all the acc and the key switch was taken out of the donor to start the vehicle.

This is the KISS way to do things

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 09-07-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2022 | 11:00 AM
DarkZ03

It is a stock DE still. I don’t like the VQ. Plain and simple. The Z33 has giant engine bay once it’a opened up. I’m considering doing this or something similar because I’m LOOKING for a project lol. This isn’t a hi/lo project, as it’s not been done before as far as I can see. There’s no cheap easy way to do this.I think you guys are really misunderstanding
Ok so what is it that I don't understand?
Do you want to go against the grain on purpose?
If that Is the case you should have said "guys I'm looking to do a swap that hasn't been done before"
But also then why are you asking as there will be zero info out there....
Do a VR38 swap that hasn't been done, and the engine is far superior to anything you've mentioned

Last edited by DarkZ03; 09-07-2022 at 11:01 AM.
iczeeZ33 (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022 | 12:58 PM
iczeeZ33

“I’m mainly looking towards n54, but willing to consider other options. Anyone have any experience with some not so common engine swaps?“
Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Ok so what is it that I don't understand?
Do you want to go against the grain on purpose?
If that Is the case you should have said "guys I'm looking to do a swap that hasn't been done before"
But also then why are you asking as there will be zero info out there....
Do a VR38 swap that hasn't been done, and the engine is far superior to anything you've mentioned
Old 09-07-2022 | 10:11 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Anyone have any experience with some not so common engine swaps?“
Youre the guy!
Get started … I want to see some pics of this going down … paint or get off the ladder
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
Cux350z (09-08-2022), iczeeZ33 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-08-2022 | 03:47 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Just more haters with no info. What happened to forums? You guys belong on FB. There’s already a M50T swap Z33, you guys think it’s like doing the impossible lol.
prove us wrong then. Were right 99/100 on threads like this.

Not saying anything is impossible....

iczeeZ33 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-08-2022 | 07:25 AM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by Cux350z
prove us wrong then. Were right 99/100 on threads like this.

Not saying anything is impossible....
Exactly. OP will also likely be heartbroken the first time he gets gapped by a modestly built VQ making 600+
iczeeZ33 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 02:36 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

done yet?
iczeeZ33 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 05:45 AM
iczeeZ33

Lol, you guys have some serious egos. This was all literally a question, talk and planning. I word for word stated if I got a donor chassis it would be this winter anyway. I have nothing to prove, the car is absolutely fine as is, 450whp, and I love the chassis. But do any of you guys actually enjoy working on a car? Doing something different? I know it’s not for everyone, but isn’t this supposed to be the place? Lol.
fullvietFX (10-06-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 05:52 AM
iczeeZ33

I literally don’t care as long as long as it makes 450+. Lol. Btw, I’ve met and talked with you before. Thought you were cool. 👍🏼
Originally Posted by RENFRO
Exactly. OP will also likely be heartbroken the first time he gets gapped by a modestly built VQ making 600+
fullvietFX (10-06-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 06:13 AM
RENFRO

I literally don’t care as long as long as it makes 450+. Lol. Btw, I’ve met and talked with you before. Thought you were cool. 👍🏼
I don't recall the discussion, but either way, not a place to get your feelings hurt here...the point most of us understand that have been in the chassis for a long time is what we are trying to tell you. Even here you state "literally don't care as long as it makes 450+." Aren't you already making 450+? What is it you don't like about the VQ? The sound? Power curve?

The reason you are being given a hard time is you don't understand your "why" other than you just want to be different. Most of the time the chassis is more or less ruined and hacked together doing these types of "I just want to be different" swaps. Nothing ever works right again or throws off the whole balance and soul of the Z.

Most of us love working on our cars. I more or less built mine top to bottom in my two car garage sans outsourcing machining and some assembly. The properly done swaps that become basically "OEM fit and function" approach deep into the tens of thousands of dollars if not near $100k+, hundreds if not thousands of hours of labor, and a razor sharp focus on the "why" and the desired end state.

In the end, it's your money, it can be done, but just make sure you fully understand what you want to accomplish. I went through the same iterations and thought processes before beginning my build and considered an RB26 or 2JZ swap...for my very specific goals it just didn't make sense.

I want to be proven wrong in these cases, so I sincerely hope if it's what you want to do you go all in and don't give up. Do it right, make it clean, and don't lose yourself by trying to pursue clout or just being different.
Old 09-12-2022 | 06:22 AM
RENFRO

As an additional note, I do think a built SR20 swap would be a lot of fun...

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...350z-widebody/
Old 09-12-2022 | 07:53 AM
iczeeZ33

Lol I don’t have instagram. So the clout is for internet clowns, that’s not on my radar. Lol. There are a ton of swapped track day Z33 cars competing all over the world, literally. Not all of them are “beautiful”, if that’s your thing. But the fact that anything but an LS or a VQ in these cars and apparently the world goes upside down. Your egos are tremendous 👍🏼
Old 09-12-2022 | 09:19 AM
RENFRO

Lol I don’t have instagram. So the clout is for internet clowns, that’s not on my radar. Lol. There are a ton of swapped track day Z33 cars competing all over the world, literally. Not all of them are “beautiful”, if that’s your thing. But the fact that anything but an LS or a VQ in these cars and apparently the world goes upside down. Your egos are tremendous 👍🏼
Your points about competitive track cars aren't aligned with your goals of a daily driven street car with a swap that requires passing inspection. Let's not move the goal posts here. Are you building a gutted track car?

Best of luck to you. Post a thread when you get started on your swap.
iczeeZ33 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 07:16 PM
iczeeZ33

I’m sorry, I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to post on the forums. You must be police around here lol. My points of swapped competition cars have absolutely no connection to whatever I decide to do to mine. I was clearly and simply making a point. 👍🏼 Not sure where you made that connection.
Old 09-12-2022 | 07:18 PM
iczeeZ33

And I’m not “building” anything? Lol. It’s a full interior street car, “with absolutely zero intention of competing or motorsports use” like I clearly said above
Old 09-12-2022 | 09:21 PM
DarkZ03

You keep attacking Renfro and talking about egos here when he only provided insight and constructive criticism.
You can't blame one for thinking youd be on IG given that damn sticker not that it matters in any way.
I enjoy working on my car from time to time but I enjoy driving it even more, you know what you can't do while you are trying to figure out something that nobody has....drive for quite some time. I'm critical of swaps for 2 reasons:
1. Most swapped cars are slower than a VQ with its power
2. I'm a mechanic, I have to deal with wiring and CANBUS issues every day, why anyone would want to do that unnecessarily and not get paid is beyond my comprehension.
He also asked the question I was eluding to, if you are going to do ONE thing answer this....WHAT DON'T YOU LIKE ABOUT THE VQ!?
If you can't answer that, then you are nothing but a child throwing a fit cause you want your toy to be different.

Last edited by DarkZ03; 09-12-2022 at 09:23 PM.
iczeeZ33 (10-04-2022)
Old 09-13-2022 | 05:36 AM
RENFRO

I’m sorry, I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to post on the forums. You must be police around here lol. My points of swapped competition cars have absolutely no connection to whatever I decide to do to mine. I was clearly and simply making a point. 👍🏼 Not sure where you made that connection.
Okay, buddy, let's break this down since you're having a hard time.

You have entered a conundrum and contradicted yourself here. Competition cars with swaps, to your exact point, have zero connection with what you are wanting to do with yours, so there is no point to be made at all...it is moot.

You came on here specifically stating you wanted to swap, it must make over 450, and must pass inspection. We are doing our best to let you know that it's most likely NOT worth it, but you don't want to hear and want to throw a fit. Have at it.

If you came in here and said "hey I want to build a track car and am thinking about some various I6 motors...I don't care if things really work like a street car should and just want it to rip on track"...go for it!

In the end, that's not the case here, and you don't want to listen. Nobody is policing anything. You are just having a hard time listening and understanding what we are trying to tell you.

At the end of the day, it's your money, and anything can be done with enough of it.
Old 09-13-2022 | 08:22 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

/thread … be done with it…
iczeeZ33 (10-04-2022)

Quick Reply: N54? M50? Inline 6 Swap