81.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

mirror or smoke ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 06:12 AM
Shift_Speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mirror or smoke ????

on a chrome silver 350 z... you guys think mirror tint looks best or the traditional smoke tint??? please lets get some responses up in here!! thanks a bunch
Old 11-02-2002, 08:22 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i voted mirror, but I havent seen either, mirror looked good on the blue, but might make the windows blend into the car on silver. while the smoke might give them more of a distinct appearance and seperate them.

well now I think i wanna change my vote to smoke....

yeah, Im no help.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:08 AM
Shift_Speed

hm.. thanks for the vote so far... has n e one seen smoke and mirror tint on chrome silver? or are you guys just picturing in your heads? just wondering... please keep voting... i need a lot of input in this!
Old 11-03-2002, 03:44 PM
^Tyr

i'd also look at the partial metallic tint... ala lexus and such,, i have tint on my celica that is not quite a black tint but not metallic either, its a silver type color and it looks really good

thiers also a bronze type partial metialic (not that glaring bronze mirror tint you might have seen)

i'd go to a tint shop and ask to see samples of tints, to see what you really like
Old 11-03-2002, 05:49 PM
Shift_Speed

any pics???
Old 11-04-2002, 04:14 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd vote for titanium charcoal (smoked). Mirror tint is too reflective... and you could easily get pulled over by the cops (if you do the front sides). Titanium is pretty reflective enough... and I've always gotten titanium. And that's what I got for my Z as well.
Attached Thumbnails mirror or smoke ????-tint_windshield.jpg  
Old 11-04-2002, 06:36 PM
Shift_Speed

titanium looked aiite... do you happen to have a better side pic from more of a distance and a front? thanks a lot
Old 11-04-2002, 07:02 PM
^Tyr

titantium doesnt show up well in photos it looks like a grayish smoke tint.. but its more reflective or refractive (maybe),,, i dunno i have it too. in certain lights you can see a bit of oil on water effect too.. i like it
Old 11-04-2002, 07:29 PM
350zZz

Please don't do the mirror tint it would look like crap. I've sceen the mirror and the titanium charcoal (smoked) tint on a silver Camaro the titanium look nice but the mirror tint looked like ****.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:31 AM
dmcgibbo

so is every tint just a tint film? why do i see so many tinted cars that are purplish or tons of tinted cars that just look horrible. especially like the rear window where the defroster lines are i see cars that look SO horrible. i thought that's b/c they bought window film tint to put on the windows and that's not as good and you are supposed to get like the windows dipped or dyed or something? but the pics of the titanium tint look good and i guess that's just film. plus, on the tops of the windows is there a space that isn't tinted?
Old 12-01-2002, 12:48 PM
^Tyr

ya tint is just film.. the difference in what yoru seeing is the install quality.... almost (but not everythng) can be brought back to the quality of the installer. its like a stereo system.. having a pro do it will always sound better than a novice. just common sense (unless the novice spends like 10x as much time to figure out what the pro would do in the first place) i'm not disrespectin diy'rs i'm a diy guy too. but for somet things like 3m sheild. window tint. and blueprinting motors. isnt something most of us do in our own garage.

find a good tint shop, they know how to handle things like the auto moving windows (when you open /close door) and your 3rd brake light and such.

yes theyr'll be a gap at the top of your window, however it'll be small. like 1/16 -1/8 an inch. on my car its like 1/32 i dunno who did it but they were good.. too small for you to notice and when window is rolled up it is hidden behind the weather stripping.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:56 AM
Z33Fan

You can have your windows "filed" all the way to the edge for your tint. I had this done on my car, and it looks fantastic. They apply the tint all the way to the top, trim, then file the edges such that the tint transitions to the top of the window perfectly. Any good tint shop should do this.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:58 PM
^Tyr

i've never heard of that before.... are you saying that the tint blends in with the edge or that it just runs pefectly up to the edge?

looked at my again today.. and the tint really runs right up to the point where the window itself stops being flat
Old 12-19-2002, 08:50 AM
bigdog

Default Tinting

I personally would go with the either full mitrroed or the faded. I have a sunset lamans, and went throuh hell selecting what tint I wanted. I was loking for a bronze tint but could not find one that I really liked. I finally settled on a mirrored gold( yes I know sounds tacky). There are times that it looks outstanding and then there are timje( specifically cloudy days) it loks a little to gold. For the silver they have a faded mirror tint, that would look awesome on silver. It starts at the top loking smoked then fades to a silver mirrored tint at the bottem.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:30 AM
iboost

Here are a handful of pics that I found of my Z to help you decide.

18% tints - "gunmetal"

Done at Tintworld in Davie, Fl.

Note: These were taking on a day where the sun was intense... but then hid behind the clouds every few minute.. grr! Not the best lighting for taking pictures.

Nevertheless, these pictures do give a good idea of what you can expect.

-iboost

Old 12-24-2002, 07:59 AM
iboost

1 more pic

... to show the hatch area. The brake light was temporarily removed by my installer and tint was applied over the entire glass. At this angle, the tint actually looks lighter and more reflective than it is but that's an effect caused by the sky. In the day (and at night) you can clearly see the rear strut brace.

-iboost

Old 12-24-2002, 09:02 AM
Omega350Z

Mirrored all the way around the back, then a %35 smoke on the front sides. Cops will be confused and less likely to pull you over for front tints (if your state applies to this) I have %15 smoke all around the rear and %35 in front sides on my old car and never once got pulled over for tints, my friend has %15 all around and gets warned constantly (fix-it tickets every time since hes on his 6th warning now....)
Old 12-25-2002, 08:37 AM
wfd157

Smoke it, man!!
Old 12-26-2002, 05:51 AM
bigdog

Default Mirrored or smoke

I still say Mirrored, here are a couple of pics oof my Z with gold mirror

Old 12-26-2002, 09:56 AM
Old Skooler

Lemans is of course the ONLY color you can get away with this on. It looks great, and definitely original.

Quick Reply: mirror or smoke ????