Sponsored by:

Questions about Paint Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Anna
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Paint Jobs

I'm thinking of getting my Z painted a custom color but I'm wondering what others have paid to have a quality job done. I've asked on my local car board for recommendations of places to take the car but I'd kinda like to know what I'm talking about as far as cost before I just go in there and possibly pay too much. Any advice or info would be appreciated, thanks in advance

~Anna
Old 12-07-2004, 12:04 PM
ttsupra94

rayden on here has the lamborghini orange and i think his cost between 5 and 6 i think. He is the main one i know on here that has a custom paint job. what color are you looking at?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Anna
350Z-holic

Originally posted by ttsupra94
rayden on here has the lamborghini orange and i think his cost between 5 and 6 i think. He is the main one i know on here that has a custom paint job. what color are you looking at?
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I haven't decided what color yet, I honestly want to paint it Brickyard but I can't rationalize paying so much money to paint the car a stock, albiet, discontinued color.
I've been mulling over what to do for a while now but I'm for sure painting it- at our last Norcal Z meet 80% of the Z's were Silverstone or Chrome Silver (I have Silverstone). I'm thinking a deep dark blood red might work too.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:30 PM
ttsupra94

I know what you mean, i've thought about painting the car, even though i could never afford it right now, but picking a color is tough. It is hard to justify spending that kinda money just to get a plain color. If you are looking for something reddish, i would think maybe like a candy apple red or something dark like you said. If i painted mine, i would go with one of 3 colors i think, the orange like rayden, the lamborghini pearl green (i would have to be very brave to go with this), or the anniversary edition murcielago color, its like a bluish green color.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Anna
350Z-holic

I'll have to check out the murc color, I haven't seen it yet. I've been looking around trying to find something that will stand out yet not be WAY too obnoxious, ya know? If you have a link to that murc color could you post it?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Anna
350Z-holic

Woah, the top blue is awesome.. thanks for digging that up for me

A local dude told me he got his kit and whole car painted plus door handles shaved for $2400.... is it just me or is that way too cheap?? I guess I'll have to go see his car. Hmm.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Srivero297

It depends if you are keeping it the same color or if you are getting it redone in a completely new color. If they are re-doing it in a new color, they have to sand down the old color first and then go over the whole car in the new color, and they have to add many layers of the new color. If they are just adding more layers of a previous color, they dont need to sand and there is not as many layers needed, so they dont charge as much. My friend got his car redone by a shop and picked their highest option and only paid 1300, including clear coats and all that junk.
Its when you go into them having to custom mix colors for you and all is when the large wads of cash come out.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:31 PM
drsifu

hey,

i'm local....daly city to be exact.

i'm having my G35 painted by a shop called Image Autobody. They are located in South San Francisco.

i'm still waiting for my body kit to arrive, but it should begin the paint process somtime next week. if you're interested in swinging by, let me know.

it's being painted lamborghing giallo orion (yellow). everything is being painted except for the engine bay.

you're looking at around 3-4K for a full paint job, but when you finally decide on a color and are serious about getting it done, call Phil at the shop and he'll give you a better estimate.

hope this helps.

vinh
Old 12-07-2004, 03:37 PM
ttsupra94

Anna, i think it depends on a lot of things as to the cost. What kind of paint, what kind of mix is needed and then how many layers. Some paint has like a couple layers of paint i think and then a couple layers of clearcoat. I really like that pearl green lol, but i might get tired of it.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:16 PM
pinnacleliquid

Default go see his car in a year:)

Originally posted by Anna
Woah, the top blue is awesome.. thanks for digging that up for me

A local dude told me he got his kit and whole car painted plus door handles shaved for $2400.... is it just me or is that way too cheap?? I guess I'll have to go see his car. Hmm.
My nice way of saying hmmm maybe a little too cheap...
Old 12-07-2004, 07:15 PM
basam350z

just get a bad a$$ body kit and rims. that will make your Z look different.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:25 PM
ghost11

TOUCAN Industries built a 350z a while back, i've always thought that if i were getting mine painted, it would be the color they choose. Wish i had a pic, its kinda that "blood red" you were talking about............ absolutely gorgeous
Old 12-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Here's a link to the article of the Toucan 350Z. http://www.m-emag.com/article.asp?se...article_id=545
Old 12-07-2004, 07:31 PM
DBZCat

candy apple red would look sweet, I would like to paint my car a dark metallic green with black pearl.....

but candy apple red would look just be sick!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:35 PM
ghost11

Originally posted by Nissan350ZTT
Here's a link to the article of the Toucan 350Z. http://www.m-emag.com/article.asp?se...article_id=545
that's the one! (wish the site would have included better pics)
Old 12-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Reese

Default paint jobs

The most important thing is that its done right and the shop actually likes to take in jobs like that. Most shops prefer the normal fender bender because they can fix it faster and turn more cars which means more profit. I don't know about California but in Memphis its hard to find a good quality shop that will take the time to do an all over paint job right.

I suppose you want the inside of the door jambs and under the hatch painted? If so I would say the minimum starting price would be $3000 for a regular solid or metallic color. Pearls are usually 3 stage colors (which means 2-3 coats of a ground color followed by 2-3 coats of pearl and possilby even more plus 2-3 coats of clear). I would guess pearls would add another 800-1000 bucks. Of course these are Tennessee prices so I am sure it would be alot more in Cali.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:46 AM
ttsupra94

Any pics of dark metallic green with black pearl paint job? Thats sounds awesome.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:12 AM
NzZ

Default Re: Questions about Paint Jobs

Anna,

Here's the thing about paint. As long as you're working with a good shop, you get what you pay for. If you want a good job, one where the door jambs and engine bay are painted, you need to go to a shop that not only does great paintwork but also knows to properly dis and reassemble the car. Painting is really an art, and although it sounds crazy the job will be 100x better if you find someone that is enthusiastic about painting the car.

A factory quality paint job should run from $3-5k minimum. A higher quality aftermarket job should run upwards of $5k.

As for colors, almost any color will look good on a Z. If it were me, I'd get a color with a LOT of pearl in it...because the pearl highlights the Z's sexy curves. IMO it's worth the added cost.
NzZ
Old 12-08-2004, 05:55 AM
Anna
350Z-holic

Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions. The color on the Toucan Z is AWESOME, pretty close to what I was thinking, but I'd want a bit deeper than that even. Like a deep red that looks blackish at night.

As far as the cost, I am expecting to get pearl and I orig. assumed my price range would be 3-5k so it sounds as if I'm not too far off.

I'm hunting around now for shops around here where I can see the work. I actually used to go to a shop that does paint on restored vintage cars and I've seen many of their cars and they are BEAUTIFUL, but as I know the owner I always get put on the back burner. They had my Celica for a month when I had just a body kit painted and installed.

Quick Reply: Questions about Paint Jobs