Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick "FREE" way to improve your nismo shift knob!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 04:19 AM
DeeZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Quick "FREE" way to improve your nismo shift ****!

Did i mention.............its FREE!! and NO TOOLS REQUIRED!!

anyways, i have the Nismo TI (non-GT) shift ****, and LOVE it i might add! but i have never cared for the finisher that comes with it. you know, the thick black spacer at the bottom that fills the space between the ****, and the shifter boot. some of you are using toilet a washer! (good catch to the member that thought of that by the way! ) here is a pic i borrowed to show you guys what im talking about.

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=750586

so i was thinking at work tonight, and decided it looks CHEAP, and had to go! i was going to get a diferent ****, but while searching i found that ALL ***** seem to need it? then i had an idea (incert light bulb over head here!) what if i remove the ****, then the shifter boot, place the finisher "UNDER" the boot on the shifter assembly itself. then reinstall the boot, and screw the **** back on "DIRECTLY" over the boot?

well come to find out, the UNDER side of the boot at the top (just below the shifter) is beveled. so by placing the finisher BEVELED side UP, it slides into the boot. and your shifter actualy gets a little shorter. (if you have a short throw like me, it makes it EVEN BETTER!!)

im assuming this is how it was intended to be mounted!? (and i dont want to hear "duuua JACK A$$ from anyone!") becaues i went through MANY PAGES of pics tonight looking for a new ****, and almost ALL of them were installed like mine was! i dont have my camera to get any pics, but you guys get the point.

so now we can all have a shorter shifter, and we dont have to look at that cheap a$$ looking fat rubber washer anymore! my new setup feels MUCH more comfortable too!
try it out, and let me know what you guys think. someone PLEASE post a pic after you do it so everyone can see. a before and after i mean. thanks! i gotta go for another drive!

o'yea, if anyone doesnt care for the nismo *****, i have decided after HOURS of looking at *****, that the Top Secret **** is also a good choice! just my $.02

Last edited by DeeZee; 12-10-2004 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:41 AM
Daewoo

good idea. I will try tomorrow!

Thanks DZ!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:45 AM
ghost11

great idea, i haven't bought a shift **** yet, but i just checked out the TOP SECRET **** like you said, looks great, do you know if there's a pic somewhere of it installed on a 350z?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:24 AM
DeeZee

sure. here you go.

http://superstreetonline.com/feature...130_0406_350z/

that thing is f#@kin SWEET!!
Old 12-10-2004, 05:36 AM
ghost11

nice...............
thanx for the link
Old 12-10-2004, 06:30 AM
maximumsportZ

Sweet! I have the same **** TI I'll have to try this, myself installed it with the finisher on the outside.

What about that plastic ring in the boot? Do you remove that? or just place the rubber under it???

If you have pics please post.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:43 AM
manofsteele2003

Here you go, it's actually a Greddy shift ****.

http://www.optauto.com/index.htm?dep...itemsperpage=9

And if it's not, it's looks exactly the same, really good price too.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:15 AM
BrickydZ

It will work even with the rubber Toilet washer from home depot, if you dont get the finisher with the nismo ***** or have a differnent ****.

Did it two months ago. Looks great and washer cost under $1.50 at home depot.It is called and ballcock shank washer.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:17 AM
BrickydZ

Default pic

pic
Attached Thumbnails Quick "FREE" way to improve your nismo shift knob!-shift-004.jpg  
Old 12-10-2004, 10:06 AM
DeeZee

pm

maximumsportZ wrote on 12-10-2004 01:58 PM:
I have the same **** TI I'll have to try this, myself installed it with the finisher on the outside.

What about that plastic ring in the boot? Do you remove that? or just place the rubber under it???
answer

no. the finsher slides under/into the ring. you will need the ring since it takes up a good amount of space! but you wont even know its there! now i only fit 3 fingers on my **** (ha,ha,ha! i just read that again!!), and one rests on the leather. it feels SOOO nice! give it a try. if you have any other Q's, just post um in the thread. that way everyone can gain from the answer. just incase someone is wondering the same thing, or looks it up later. later man, enjoy!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:11 AM
bigfatjeffk

Yup . . . that's how I installed mine months ago. I first tried fitting it between the boot and the ****, and didn't like the look. IMO it looks MUCH better under the boot.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:13 AM
DeeZee

BrickyardZ, by looking at your pic, i dont think you understand exactly what im talking about? i wish i had my camera here! the washer you placed on TOP OF THE BOOT, im talking about placing it UNDER THE BOOT. that way we dont have to look at, or feel it anymore. hope that helps! someone get a before-n-after pic up please. i think it would help alot! thanks!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:18 AM
DeeZee

bigfatjeffk, i TOTALY agree!! it looks SOOOOO MUCH cleaner now. and actualy "feels" alot shorter as well. wish i had though of it sooner. the directions were prbably in japanese!! i cant say i even looked at um. hell, "it was only a shift ****!"
Old 12-10-2004, 12:46 PM
BrickydZ

I understand. That is a photo from someone here that got the rubber washer as a finisher. I installed my washer under the boot as well. Pulls the boot right up under the ****, I agree that nismo may have enginerred it that way, but the first people to put them on didnt known that.

Looks great under the boot, but unfortunately photos of that dont show from the outside. ha ha.

Sorry I wasnt more clear in my post.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:01 PM
maximumsportZ

Cool! I just did it, it feels a hell of alot better for real! I'll take pics tomorrow when the sun is up. I haven't drove it yet.. I'll give u my impressions tomorrow.

Thanks DeeZee!!
Old 12-10-2004, 08:23 PM
DeeZee

sorry brick, the pic confused me??? too sweet hua max!