Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VARIS CF AIR DUCT install write-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:38 PM
vitaminZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VARIS CF AIR DUCT install write-up

For those of you that have participated in the VARIS CF AIR DUCT group buy you should soon have your product. To make things easier for you i have decided to do this write-up.

Step 0: First things first, get over the fear of cutting through the factory bumper. I promise that it isn’t hard at all and the end result will be oh so satisfying!

Step 1: I used scissors to cut the outline of the outer edge and the inner box of the stencil. I used a photo copy of the original stencil for this step.

Step 2: Once you have prepped the stencil for use, place it on the vehicle and accurately align the stencil with the body lines of the vehicle. Have four strips of masking tape ready for use. Once in place use the four strips of masking tape to hold the stencil in place at each corner.

Step 3: At this time you should have the stencil in place and secure. The center of the stencil should already be cut out as instructed in step 1. I used a dry erase marker to make my mark. I followed the outline of the cutout with the dry erase marker, setting half the marker’s tip on the stencil and the other half on the painted surface of the vehicle. I used a dry erase marker just in case I made a mistake.

Step 4: Remove the stencil from the bottom only. Flip the stencil upwards and verify that a solid mark was left.

If the mark on the painted surface of the vehicle is sufficient, remove the stencil. Next, get a hold of a utility knife. Make sure the blade is as close to new as possible. A new blade will increase the likelihood that no mistakes will be made. Start at the top left corner of the mark. Use two hands to steady your grip. Carefully and slowly pull towards the opposite corner. The blade cuts through the polyurethane like warm butter. Next, do the same starting from the lower left corner of the mark. Now you are ready to make the final two cuts. Begin the first cut at the top left corner and end at the bottom left corner. The last cut will begin at the top right corner and end at the bottom right corner.

Step 5: Behind the bumper you will find that there is a foam support. The upper corner of this foam support will get in the way of the CF air duct when installed. Use a razor blade to cut a small section out of the foam. The CF air duct should now sit in the hole flush.

Step 6: Varis supplies silver screws with the air duct. I used rivets instead because the tops sit flatter than the screw heads giving the install a cleaner look. I used 3/16th diameter rivets. The rivets themselves were silver so I used a black sharpie to color the tops black.

if anyone has any further questions about the install feel free to PM me.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Wicked4u2c

Damn I want one, anyone want to sell me theirs?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! Something to do over the holidays!

Man, it's been a long time waiting for this...
Old 12-15-2004, 10:57 PM
vitaminZ

i forgot the finished pics!!!

Old 12-16-2004, 12:15 AM
Sins4u33

pretty tighhhtttt....i like it alot....how much did the cf air duct cost?? and would there be any problems with water sucking up into this while its raining??

Ben
Old 12-16-2004, 04:41 AM
DeeZee

nice write up!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:58 AM
bgwillyis300

i have a question.....in the first pic of the duct the back of it doesnt look thast long. But then in the final pic the duct looks to feed all the way back to the intake box. Does the varis have two pieces or is that other piece something else?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:17 AM
vitaminZ

Originally posted by bgwillyis300
i have a question.....in the first pic of the duct the back of it doesnt look thast long. But then in the final pic the duct looks to feed all the way back to the intake box. Does the varis have two pieces or is that other piece something else?
it doesn't feed all the way back to the intake box. it just angles the air in that direction.

i haven't had any problems with sucking up water or debris. the air duct can be purchased at www.varisusa.com or www.bulletproofautomotive.com for $140
Old 12-16-2004, 01:53 PM
DrVolkl

Thanks for the write up! I can't wait for this thing to show up!

Suddenly there will be a bunch of Z's with these things.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:08 PM
bgwillyis300

Originally posted by vitaminZ
it doesn't feed all the way back to the intake box. it just angles the air in that direction.

i haven't had any problems with sucking up water or debris. the air duct can be purchased at www.varisusa.com or www.bulletproofautomotive.com for $140
no no in the guys finished pic.....it looks like the end of air duct is really long. Here how about this if u were looking at the duct sideways about how wide would it be?

because in that pic it looks like it would it be at least 8-10inches. but then in the first pic it doesnt look any of about 5 inches.

c what i mean?
Old 12-16-2004, 05:45 PM
myz8a4re

your looking at the pic wrong, the duct doesnt extend under the hood inot the airway of the filter, it only points in that general direction. what your seeing in the "installed" pic is his c/f radiator support cover. it covers all the openings in bettween the bumper mounts & the front of the engine bay. you cant see through this so theres no way to see the varis piece unless he removed the support cover......

-justin
Old 12-16-2004, 05:51 PM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

if i had a CF front bumper would it be impossible/impracticle to fit my duct to it? If so I will be looking to sell most likely but I think it would be a nice touch for any aftermarket CF front end
Old 12-16-2004, 07:33 PM
vitaminZ

Originally posted by kamikaZ
if i had a CF front bumper would it be impossible/impracticle to fit my duct to it? If so I will be looking to sell most likely but I think it would be a nice touch for any aftermarket CF front end
i plan on installing my cf air duct in my CF nismo replica front bumper soon. i don't forsee any problems with the install. i'll post the results soon.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:07 AM
bgwillyis300

Originally posted by myz8a4re
your looking at the pic wrong, the duct doesnt extend under the hood inot the airway of the filter, it only points in that general direction. what your seeing in the "installed" pic is his c/f radiator support cover. it covers all the openings in bettween the bumper mounts & the front of the engine bay. you cant see through this so theres no way to see the varis piece unless he removed the support cover......

-justin
ohhh ok i see what you see now.

thanks justin.

can you see why i was looking at it that way though. there is a hump on the cover i guess that resembles a duct that leads straight to the filter!.....

i didnt even notice the cover before.lol
Old 12-17-2004, 10:19 AM
devildoc

That looks really sweet. I'm just not sure about the rain factor? On the JWT, what is stopping water from going in the engine?

Ian
Old 12-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Jismo
Banned

Originally posted by devildoc
That looks really sweet. I'm just not sure about the rain factor? On the JWT, what is stopping water from going in the engine?

Ian
Nothing
Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up! Its getting pretty late, I sure hope those ducts get here before Xmas!!
Old 12-17-2004, 02:21 PM
bgwillyis300

same here ^^^^^^
Old 12-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Vanos_Villain

That looks hot! Too bad it's not for the G35.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:30 PM
tranzholik

hi, quick question.

so there are 4 holes located at each corner when u open the package? cant really see from the first picture.....i m thinking of a way to put that thing on without bolts.

Quick Reply: VARIS CF AIR DUCT install write-up