Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Intstalled the New Light-Up Door Sills!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 PM
JThom87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an old thread but maybe I can chime in. I was able to purchase a set of these LED door sills brand new in box from 2005. I tested the lights and noticed how dull the amber leds were. I ended up replacing all of the LEDs with blue 0805 leds and white 0805 leds. I will attach some pictures after. As far as where to get ground for the lights.. I went to the dome lights. When you pop the dome light box down there is a harness that has three wires.. You can trace where each goes. Use a multi meter to test each wire. One of them goes to +12v constant. The next one is a NEGATIVE door trigger which means it sits at around +8volts when the doors are shut and dome lights are off, then when the doors are opened it goes to 0volts for a split second then back to 8 volts, this is the door trigger wire. What I did was attach the positive wires from the led door sills to the +12v wire in the dome light harness. For the ground wire, I soldered in a diode to the +8v negative door trigger wire in the dome light harness, that way it acts as a ground and recognizes when the doors are unlocked or when the doors are open. The diode will prevent voltage from connecting to the ground wire on the led door sills, but still allow them to recognize when the doors are open. Pretty nice little mod

Last edited by JThom87; 01-30-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
kaio007

Wow Jthom, those look awesome. Im sad now I dont know how to solder.. i'd like to change mine to red... is a diode necessary for the ground wire? I didnt even think about connecting it somewhere other than behind the door switch. If the door switch wire runs into the fuse box, can I just connect it there rather than trying to get this stripped bolt out for the door switch mechanism, no[?]. What color wire is it? Where did you find the ground wire on the passenger side? Also, I noticed your rear sill is on with the hatch shut.. how did you wire that? Do you have glare on the rear window?

LOOKS GOOOOD

Last edited by kaio007; 02-01-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM
JThom87

A diode is not necessary if you're just connecting it to ground somewhere but because I wanted to have the two door sills come on when the doors opened I had to connect them to the dome light wires. I'm sure you can catch the lines lower down near the fuse panel though. The 350z has a negative door trigger but is still a positive 8 volt wire. When the door opens the dome lights come on when the car reads 0 volts. It quickly jumps back to 8 volts though so If you didn't have a diode soldered inline you would be feeding 8 volts into that line which would not be good for the lights. The diode merely acts as a stop to the voltage but still allows the wiring to complete a circuit when the doors are opened. I can try to load some pictures tomorrow of the exact wire with a small write up on how to wire them so all you will have to do is connect the door sill red and black wires once they are connected and extended from the dome light wires. As far as the rear sill, I just tied it into the parking light wire. You can get that line from something as simple are the tag light wires because they come automatically when you turn on the headlights. Changing the colors wasn't too difficult but it does require some steady hands and a lot of patience because these are much smaller than any PLCC-2 leds. They are the size of the ear of Roosevelt on a dime. There is a small glare in the window but I kind of like seeing the Z logo lit up. It doesn't seem to interfere with looking through to see traffic. I went all white on the rear sill because most state laws restrict any red or blue but allow white. I still may be hassled by the fuzz but I can at least argue that they are white.
Thanks for the compliments. They are MUCH brighter than the standard amber LEDs. Sucks that the company went out of business.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 PM
kaio007

Useful info; I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates it. Thanks bud. A picture of the diode connection from the ground wire of the lights to the door switch ground wire would be incredible useful to electrical novices like myself. I am assuming it is a T connection of some sort.

Last edited by kaio007; 02-01-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
kaio007

Got my driver door sill installed correctly.. turns off when door shuts. hardly visible in day, but at night, the amber lights still shine bright... Will get the passenger done this weekend. Still trying to locate the wires in back for the rear hatch... will take pics this weekend. I like these so far.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 PM
omtek

Default LED Lighted Door Sill Cover

* Easy installation
* Water proof
* Elegant visuality
* Magnetic system
* Battery life for 3 years
* Dual-lock connection
* Stainless steel

http://www.chromelight.eu
http://www.ledlighteddoorstep.com
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by omtek
* Easy installation
* Water proof
* Elegant visuality
* Magnetic system
* Battery life for 3 years
* Dual-lock connection
* Stainless steel
SPAM reported

Last edited by dcains; 06-14-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
kaio007

Originally Posted by dcains
SPAM reported
+ 1 - no backlinks on my350z!

Take the URL addresses out of your quote^