Sponsored by:

Neon Lighting Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 03:55 PM
Ricky
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon Lighting Help!

I got my neon, they aren't the BEST of quality, but they are just some for the time being. My question is they are suppose to be plugged into the cigg lighter, but I don't want that, what other ways can I wire it? Someone told me I could cut the wire, and hook it up something in the car (Fuse box or something???) and have an on/off switch. Anyone know?
Old 12-03-2002, 04:29 PM
MATIX

neon is rice...dont do it, dont do it!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:37 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neon, ewwww, ask the girls at one of the civic forums, they might be able to help you.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:53 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it pains me to explain this. but Ill help out.

you may want to go ahead and purchase a second fuse box, and permenently mount it wherever you choose; you can then hook all electrical components through this. Id wire a 4gauge line to the fuse box, or near it, and run off that for your positive. after the fuse box, run a line to a switch, you can get rocker switches at pepboys or something like that, I put a 4 switch panel in my truck to control fog lights, PA system and all that, it was handy; plan ahead is never a bad thing.

then run the wire from switch to the neon wire that you cut(be sure to wire it to the positive side, it should have a white stripe on the wire) then just run the negative side to any peice of metal you can find and that will ground it.

hit the switch and your good to go. since it is a low voltage item, a fuse isnt really nescesarry, but its sometimes a good idea incase of a short or something.

EDIT: you may want to fool with relays and youll need to run a positive to the switch if it was a lighted switch like I had, just run a single positive across all the switches for the lights since they dont draw much current.

Last edited by ares; 12-03-2002 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Ohio350z

I hope he wires it wrong and it burns up his Z so he doesn't make the rest of us look bad. Just joking, to each his own.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:50 PM
Swisha350z

Wow I cant believe someone is seriously asking this question. I can not imagine why any person would want to do that to a beautiful Z. Oh well it had to come sooner or later...
Old 12-04-2002, 03:08 AM
padam07

OK I HAVE TO SY THIS!! Evrybody shut the hell up if you don't have any information to answer this person's question. He didn't ask for your lame opinions. Good Job Ares for giving him good info instead of the usual crap form the rest of the morons.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:07 AM
RedComet

hey I think a soft orange glow would look nice under my LeMans Sunset Z. Anywhere else it would look like ****.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:26 AM
STLZ
Banned

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2002, 06:27 AM
Vlad

Oh, my!

In such times I wish Z costed twice more.
Or at leats, congress would pass a law, that kids with need for neon would have to drive, well, Neon.
Since there is no such law yet, all is left to us is to hope that he'll screw wiring, to save his Z from humiliation.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Ricky
Banned

whats wrong with some neon blue accents for the car? they would be invisible to the eye, the neon would be deep inside the leg-room area. You wouldn't see the neon rod, and some soft neo-blue accents would be so nice!
Old 12-04-2002, 04:14 PM
MATIX

Originally posted by padam07
OK I HAVE TO SY THIS!! Evrybody shut the hell up if you don't have any information to answer this person's question. He didn't ask for your lame opinions. Good Job Ares for giving him good info instead of the usual crap form the rest of the morons.
its a forum board, people are supposed to put their opinons on posts...so shut up and stop callin people morons for expressing their opinions
Old 12-04-2002, 04:36 PM
SalTNutz

Man, I like the Z, but I am happier everyday that bought the G35C. It attracts a higher clientel, and for the most part, they don't do this ricer crap and ruin the cars rep. I am sorry for you guys who have respectful Z's getting a bad name from people like this. The Z is a pretty nice car.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:13 PM
DIGItonium

I do not enjoy hooking up those extra colored lights.

I suggest using LEDs.

Why? They are cheaper, smaller, and use less power. So it won't drain your battery if you forget to turn it off.

I've figured a way to make it so the LEDs produce subtle, diffused lighting under neath the seats (depends on the aiming).

I never installed any of these, but it works.

All I've done are replaced converntional lights with Luxeon LEDs.
Blinding if you look directly at it, but it provides very clean lighting.
Plus... won't kill batteries if you leave it on too long.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:29 PM
Stone Z

Originally posted by Vlad
In such times I wish Z costed twice more.
WTF?
Old 12-04-2002, 06:58 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it should be mentioned that 99% of the population thinks "rice" looks good. they think the cars look custom and the owners are real car fanatics.

now we may disagree, for whatever reasons, but in the end, park your JayDeeEmmm Z in a parking lot next to a "rice" Z and the crowd will flock to the rice. at a show, the judges will pick his neons over your titanium exhaust. thats just how it goes. sorry if this shocks you.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:18 PM
BILZ Z

Originally posted by ares
it should be mentioned that 99% of the population thinks "rice" looks good. they think the cars look custom and the owners are real car fanatics.

now we may disagree, for whatever reasons, but in the end, park your JayDeeEmmm Z in a parking lot next to a "rice" Z and the crowd will flock to the rice. at a show, the judges will pick his neons over your titanium exhaust. thats just how it goes. sorry if this shocks you.
Maybe the judges will pick it at a "RICE SHOW"
Old 12-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Loaded_Pistol
Banned

I don't think the guy is trying to install the neons in his Z since he did not mention the Z in the post nor do I think any 350z owner would do that. But, whatever floats ur boat
Old 12-04-2002, 08:15 PM
MATIX

Originally posted by ares

JDM is the trendiest **** in so cal, so i dont think a custom rice car would draw much attention...
Old 12-09-2002, 08:15 AM
liquidculture

Default Don't go towards the light ricky!

Ricky, Ricky, Ricky It's not to late to return the really cool flashy neon to the auto parts store. With all due respect, this is a real sports car for drivers. This is not an Eclipse or a Celica which is worthy of neon, this is a real car. It would be a disgrace to all 350z owners and possibly bad for their health. Also I'm sure nissan would void all of your warranties and maybe even repo the car. so no to neon. someone lied to you, neon isn't cool

Do the right thing.

Quick Reply: Neon Lighting Help!