Sponsored by:

New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights

Just got my new Xenon interior and exterior lights from the Group Buy.

I got the two map light bulbs, the rear hatch space light bulb, and the two license plate bulbs.

To be honest with you, I don't really notice a lot of difference. It is daytime now and maybe I'll see a bigger difference at night though.

They certainly are "whiter" but not really "brighter" as I see them in the daylight.

Here are some pics of the bulbs and the installation:

The bulbs.
"Before" pic of map lights.
Removing the cover on the map lights.
After install of bulbs with lights off.
Attached Thumbnails New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3141-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3137-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3149-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3152-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3153-small-.jpg  

Old 06-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Then the "Before" of the hatch light.
Removing old hatch bulb.
"After" pic of hatch light
Attached Thumbnails New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3136-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3142-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3143-small-.jpg  
Old 06-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Finally, the license plate light install.
Attached Thumbnails New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3144-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3145-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3146-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3147-small-.jpg   New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights-img_3140-small-.jpg  

Old 06-18-2005, 11:07 AM
old_s13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note to all:

blue coated bulbs are not xenon, or even xenon filled.

its a marketing trick. they should be called "xenon-like"
same thing like carbon fiber hoods. they're carbon-fiberglass. unless your paying for top dollar dry carbon parts.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

So the box that says "Xenon" is false advertizing? It doesn't say "like" anywhere. Just xenon.

Interesting.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:27 PM
illudezion

Originally Posted by old_s13
Note to all:

blue coated bulbs are not xenon, or even xenon filled.

its a marketing trick. they should be called "xenon-like"
same thing like carbon fiber hoods. they're carbon-fiberglass. unless your paying for top dollar dry carbon parts.

AGREE!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2005, 12:31 PM
LiLxDooD

Umm.. the before and after look almost the same..
Old 06-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

you should look at superlumination.com

they have some nice hyper white dome bulbs
Old 06-18-2005, 12:45 PM
drsifu

yup...they look like the ones I have

just coated with blue film that over time, will peel off. if you don't handle them too much, they should be okay for a little bit longer.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:59 PM
tlewis

Thanks for the pics... I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I'm curious to see some night shots...
Old 06-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Why would you "handle" them? I don't plan of EVER touching them until they burn out.

I looked at them tonight and they definitely are a bit brighter and certainly whiter. I guess they were worth the $10 + $9 shipping from the GB.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:02 PM
TiPIACE

ROFLMAO at 'xenon' packaging

the young chavs here get rolled with these lights as well, "look bro i got dem xenons man"

they think just because the glass of the bulb is painted blue and thus emit blue light theyre xenons. And the marketers of these cheap taiwanese made globes prey on them with 'xenon' labeling

U need something in the order of 20000volts to ignite xenon gas within a true xenon globe, so unless all those little globes come with ballasts and ignitors, im afraid theyre a product of misinformed marketing

Any globe that is painted will give less light, thats just fact. Think of it like tinting ur windows. More sun comes in when ur windows are clear, less light comes in when theyre tinted. So you cannot expect a 'tinted' globe to emit more light at the same wattage

Another thing to note, painted globes wont last as long as clear globes. The paint on the glass doesnt allow heat to dissipate, and they prematurely blow. It doesnt matter so much on those interior globes because theyre easy to replace, but more so for all the guys who spend big bucks on PIAA lights, etc.

If u want to increase the light safely, u may want to try LED globes with traditional filament bases. There are alot of cheaply made versions of these, so ignore anything on ebay, but checkout superbrightleds.com and ultraleds.co.uk

Last edited by TiPIACE; 06-18-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably halogen?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:12 PM
TiPIACE

yeap anything with a filament inside the globe is halogen

look at the festoon interior bulb. There is a thin metal line running from one metal base to the other inside the globe

thats the filament

and an example of a festoon bulb with LEDs inside. These will give a pure white light and may be brighter, but that depends on how many LEDs are inside the globe. These are very directional, so ud need to position them with the LEDs facing downwards

Last edited by TiPIACE; 06-18-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:49 PM
aalzuhair

where can I get those "festoon bulb with LEDs inside"?

Thanks,
Az
Old 06-19-2005, 03:42 AM
TiPIACE

Originally Posted by TiPIACE
If u want to increase the light safely, u may want to try LED globes with traditional filament bases. There are alot of cheaply made versions of these, so ignore anything on ebay, but checkout superbrightleds.com and ultraleds.co.uk
Old 06-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
where can I get those "festoon bulb with LEDs inside"?

Thanks,
Az
www.superbrightLEDs.com

www.autolumination.com

The four LED bulb fits perfectly. I've got a pair of 6 LED ones on order from AutoLumination to see if they'll fit.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

How much are they?

While I don't like getting taken, I appreciate the information.

How much are the OEM bulbs (the four that I replaced). Just curious to see if I paid way more than that for these ($10 plus $9 for shipping).
Old 06-20-2005, 04:25 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a post where this guy did FULL leds for every outside bulb. He went through superbrightleds.com.

He even changed out the LED for the front turn signals. No more ugly yellow bulb!!!

I found the list he posted. I printed off what he ordered:
(2) WLED-6-LED Bulb (red)-rear parking lights
(4) WLED-6-LED Bulb (white)-2 for front parking and 2 for rear license
(2) 7443-15 LED Blub (red)-brake/tail lights
(4) 7440-15 LED Bulb (amber)-front and rear turn signals
(2) 7440-15 LED Bulb (white)-reverse lights

Total cost was $85.46 with shipping

The only thing that I didn't see on his list was for the front side markers.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:44 AM
old_s13

Originally Posted by TiPIACE
ROFLMAO at 'xenon' packaging

the young chavs here get rolled with these lights as well, "look bro i got dem xenons man"

they think just because the glass of the bulb is painted blue and thus emit blue light theyre xenons. And the marketers of these cheap taiwanese made globes prey on them with 'xenon' labeling

U need something in the order of 20000volts to ignite xenon gas within a true xenon globe, so unless all those little globes come with ballasts and ignitors, im afraid theyre a product of misinformed marketing

Any globe that is painted will give less light, thats just fact. Think of it like tinting ur windows. More sun comes in when ur windows are clear, less light comes in when theyre tinted. So you cannot expect a 'tinted' globe to emit more light at the same wattage

Another thing to note, painted globes wont last as long as clear globes. The paint on the glass doesnt allow heat to dissipate, and they prematurely blow. It doesnt matter so much on those interior globes because theyre easy to replace, but more so for all the guys who spend big bucks on PIAA lights, etc.

He pretty much summed it up. Most people dont know the difference of bulb technologies and think that any package off the shelf with asian writing is better than stock. Often times you'll see marketing catches like the word "xenon" being used or "55=150W" but they really mean "xenon-look" or "55W bulb looks like 150W bulb" but its all marketing tomfoolery.

The good quality bulbs we use for our Z33 headlamp conversions are high output halogen which happen to have a slight amount of xenon gas in the mixture of gasses inside the bulb. There are no fancy coatings and the bulbs do indeed emit more light than stock (bench tested) while not consuming additional current. This is why we support Hella products, they very much stand behind their products.

The smaller blue-coated bulbs you bought are style bulbs, not a big "sham" or anything.. especially since they are just being used for interior lamps. They are more "blue-white," but nothing near to as white or bright as that of LED. Gas composition is probably argon.. typical auxilary light bulb.. all they did was coat it to make it fancy. Regardless, now you know.. "and knowing is half the battle." :-)

Mike / ClearCorners.Com

Quick Reply: New Xenon Interior/Exterior Lights