Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the painting experts

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Srivero297

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the painting experts

Okay this is a question about painting some interior panels, HOWEVER im not talking about the same panels that everyone asks about everyday like the center console and whatnot. Im talking about the more difficult ones that are softer to the touch, the door panels for example, or the dashboard in front of the passenger seat where the airbag comes out. If you touch those, they are soft, almost rubbery.

Bryan wrote up a pretty good guide to painting the regular panels; sanding and cleaning and whatnot. However, I dont believe the same technique will work on these softer panels. Can the rubbery material even be sanded??

So how do you paint those panels? Do you have to stiffen them up in some way first? I am pretty good w/ fiberglass, so I was considering perhaps buying a test panel dripping some resin over it and sanding it so a smooth finish, but I was hoping there was a simpler way. I dont know if the resin will even stick to the rubbery material though...

Answers/Help/Advice?
Thanks,
-Steve
Old 07-07-2005, 07:02 PM
pinnacleliquid

Good question, but I have no answer. At least not one you will like. Automakers, through their tier one suppliers use new plastics every year. And they come in different blends depending on purpose. For example TPO's, thermoplastic Olefin have many different attributes depending on what it will be used for. In your car, the window switch plates, bumpers and engine cover are all TPO, It is paintable for the most part. The rubbery stuff I don't know about but what we usually do is test, test, test. THere are additives that let paint be flexible for a while but they migrate out and eventually the paint becomes harder. Using an adhesion promoter like 'Bulldog' will help the paint stick. Spray a LIGHT coat on the plastic part before the basecoat. You could do a search on the web but it will not yield much good info. Hope that helped.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:36 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you coated it with resin; Id imagine thatd hurt your airbag function... and probably not in a "wont come out" kinda way; rather a "blow bits of epoxy all into your face" kinda way...

I think thats a job for an upholster(sp?) being that it kinda looks like fake stretched leather; some real dyed stretched leather would work much nicer. albiet much more expensive.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to ask C-West people. They have the car match paint in and out.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Srivero297

Originally Posted by ares
if you coated it with resin; Id imagine thatd hurt your airbag function... and probably not in a "wont come out" kinda way; rather a "blow bits of epoxy all into your face" kinda way...

I think thats a job for an upholster(sp?) being that it kinda looks like fake stretched leather; some real dyed stretched leather would work much nicer. albiet much more expensive.
well yeah, I wasnt considering coating over the airbag with resin, that was more of a consideration for the doorpanels. A friend of mine knows a good upholsterer so I might try him out. Im a little stretched for money right now though so I dont know when I'll get around to it though, thats what Im doing a lot of DIY projects, plus I like them better.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Srivero297

Also-- maybe someone else knows a little more about this. I only saw a quick glimpse.

In the 2006 Z they redid the doorpanels right? Did they change the material or just change the style?

Maybe I can just buy some 2006 doorpanels from the Nissan factory and install those into my car and those will be easier to paint. I heard that they have a leather insert in them also, but that shouldnt be hard to switch out into my desired color.

Anyone have better info on this?