Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Short Shifter Rattle Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005 | 08:46 PM
TtOrMaMnY

Default Short Shifter Rattle Vibration

Hey I was wondering if anyone has found a resolution to stopping the rattle/vibration with a B&M short shifter and your factory 350z ****.. mine still rattles like crazy!
Old 06-30-2005 | 09:19 PM
LaidbackRacr

Im with you bro... my stock does as well
Old 07-02-2005 | 03:19 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

well my Revision 2 B&M shifter still rattles, due to the design of the internal dampener. there's nothing really you can do about it... well. there's nothing i've found that would eliminate the rattle--
Old 07-02-2005 | 05:09 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

FWIW, my B&M does not rattle (new version). I have a NISMO Ti GT ****, maybe the weight difference in the ***** has an effect? I also have the bolt pretty tight.
Old 07-02-2005 | 06:19 PM
xsmallpaulx

the only fix is to get a new short shifter. stillen has designed a short shifter w/ a rubber gasket that fixes the rattling problem.
Old 07-06-2005 | 02:19 AM
BJF2K

i have B&M with stock shift ****... and yes it rattles
Old 07-07-2005 | 12:05 AM
old_s13

The folks at B&M are amazing at designing a nice quality shift kit..

... however, they are absolute IDIOTS when it comes to resolving this rattle issue. Take this from someone who's been through it already with my S13, we've been running these ***** for a long time -- they WORK great but need some work to resolve the rattle.

I started by ditching the **** and removing the black insert that secures the shift boot. I am not sure if the 350Z shifter is like this, but these were the two components that caused the rattle on the S13.

Remove them and you're good to go.
Old 07-07-2005 | 02:57 AM
Barzten1

I use to have the B&M and sold it but I never had a rattle with it. Just got the tranny replaced and added a JWT clutch/flywheel and now my shifter rattles. I'm thinking its the tranny. Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2005 | 05:31 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Barzten, when they do the JWT combo they remove the tranny. The bolt underneath probably got loosened. Try tightening it.

That said, while I have been lucky not to get rattling, the problem with the rattling is inherent in the way the shifter seats. If and when mine starts rattling I will look to the evo shifter (if they ever get the new design completed).
Old 07-08-2005 | 07:33 AM
FRIT-Z

Mine never used to rattle...now it does. When replacing the boot cover last week I found a piece of an O-ring broken off and I didn't notice where it came from until I had put everything back together and felt play in the shifter, I am going to disassemble again and replace the O-ring but I think I'm going to have to cut one and push it up in and tape it because I can't seem to get the damn thing apart. I think this fix will last quite a while.

I do like my shifter.

Fritz
Old 07-08-2005 | 07:37 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

I think it has a lifetime warranty so make them send you a new one

Alternative SS is the Rogue. Not quite as aggressive/short but supposed to be a better design.
Old 07-08-2005 | 08:05 AM
JonathanG35

I was able to reduce my rattle by doing a couple of things that may help you. I did not take pics but hopefully, i can explain it ok.

history: my shifter has rattled since the second week i had it when pieces of o ring started to fall out. I have the v1 shifter. I tried getting a replacemnent when the v2 came out but neither B&M nor the vendor from which i purchased came through.

It has rattled with both the factory and the aftermarket shift **** (i have shariffs shift **** - nice piece btw).

So last weekend i decided to get to the bottom of the problem. I first removed the top half of the shifter by using 7/16 socket (i think) and an allen wrench ( a domestic size but i cant remember which one). I then turned the car on and just revved through the rpm range. The shifter still rattled so I knew the top half was not the problem despite having lost two o rings. So I took the whole shifter out and shook the bottom half to see what was causing the noise. I removed the socket from around the shifter by removing the ring clamp and noticed that the shifter had some free play in the ball. I used some electrical tape to run around the top of the ball to try to isolate/ prevent motion. I also noticed that the cup had some free paly in it as well with the ring clamp so i put a layer of electrical tape on the top of it before reinstalling the cup and ring clamp. this helped hold the cup tighter in place. I could not find o rings that were thick enough for the top so I went with rubber grommets which were almost the same size. My noise is much reduced now. It rattles quietly above 5500 rpm.

My little pin that helps guide into 5th/6th / reverse is pretty much worn out anyway so I think I am going to order the evo shifter and replace my B&M. I would really like something with an even shorter throw but i dont think any one makes one.