Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed rear wiper + covered hole *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 05:03 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggi914
I agree that it looks cleaner, but do you never drive in the rain?
i drive in the rain all the time but basically never use the rear wiper. i just use some zaino z-6 every once in a while and dont have a problem with the water staying on the glass. my rear wiper will be off in a couple weeks when my car goes into the body shop to be fixed from stupid drivers.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Badmonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I did. I bought a sink stopper from Lowes. It was chrome and has a large wing nut on it. I sanded it and painted it to match. I also placed a large rubber O-ring and rubber washer under it to prevent water from getting in. The car is dirty in the pics, forgive me.

Last edited by Badmonkey_1; 07-08-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:58 AM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you guys are thinking, and the results look pretty nice. I guess it's an easy way to shave 2 lbs.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:22 AM
El Guy

Lebby, Is water getting in from your set up?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:20 AM
lebby-pooh

Thumbs up

hi el guy

no water yet after 1 week, i think we're good
Old 07-12-2005, 10:29 AM
dgz32

I like the look without the wiper back there, too. Looks much cleaner, IMO.

I used a low profile Chrysler headliner clip - painted and clear coated it. Then applied a thin layer of automotive grade silicone to seal out water. Let it dry and put it on. I used a very large metal washer on the underside and a wing nut to make it stay put. It's been many months and thousands of miles with no leaks or trouble.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Vertex350

Looks good and clean.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:10 PM
lebby-pooh

Originally Posted by dgz32

I used a low profile Chrysler headliner clip - painted and clear coated it. Then applied a thin layer of automotive grade silicone to seal out water. Let it dry and put it on. I used a very large metal washer on the underside and a wing nut to make it stay put. It's been many months and thousands of miles with no leaks or trouble.
looks great man. did you black out the nissan burger on the back?

nice touch. i might try painting the burger body color instead of shaving it off in case i ever plan on trading the car in.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Acree

here's mine. once i'm home. i'll post pictures of the actual plug.
Attached Thumbnails Removed rear wiper + covered hole *PICS*-img_1157.jpg   Removed rear wiper + covered hole *PICS*-img_1161.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 09:22 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Wow that really looks clean. I know what I am doing after work tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:51 PM
El Guy

Originally Posted by dgz32

That looks awesome, I want to do it this weekend can you give me more installation instruction.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:18 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that it looks pretty clean without the wiper --

but seriously, do you know how much Porsche guys have to pay to get a rear wiper PUT ON their cars?

I don't mind it without the wiper (it definitely looks clean), but personally I'd rather have something that people will look at and say "damn, my car doesn't have that..."
Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Z2000Maximaguy
I agree that it looks pretty clean without the wiper --

but seriously, do you know how much Porsche guys have to pay to get a rear wiper PUT ON their cars?

I don't mind it without the wiper (it definitely looks clean), but personally I'd rather have something that people will look at and say "damn, my car doesn't have that..."
....and do you know how many people out there pay big bucks to take any weight off their car they can? This is practically free and loses like 3 pounds. (Might not sound like a lot, but once you get to the point that you are thinking about titanium screws....3 pounds is huge, specially at the price!)

Anyways..the people that look at your car and are just noticing that you have a rear wiper and are impressed by that.....those are some very cool peeps, I would value their opinion......... Come on, a minivan has a rear wiper, a Z should never have to worry about what's behind it...just who's infront so he knows what side to pass on.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Yeah, losing 3 pounds is going to do a lot.

If I needed to drop weight, it would never be driven with more than 1/8 tank gas, and I would use 15 or 16" racing wheels exclusively. I would drain the washer fluid, throw away the engine cover, remove all interior lining, get lightweight racing driver's seat (remove passenger seat) and do about 100 more things before removing the wiper blade to reduce weight.

Furthermore, if weight were an issue, I wouldn't even drive my car. I would pay a 4'10" jockey to drive it, force him to take laxatives and take a crap right before driving. The jockey would also be forced to drive naked and without shoes. Get real, no one drops the rear wiper for weight loss. It *might* help with aerodynamics to have it removed (at high speeds), but that's a stretch.

On the Porsche 911, it costs $360 extra for a rear wiper. I'm not saying that you have to love it, or even like it. But my old man used to own a 1999 911, and according to a bunch of his friends who have owned Maserati's, Bentleys, Ferarris... basically it is way cooler to have the rear wiper blade.

If you think it looks better without the wiper, that's great! I'm not knocking your style. I just happen to be in the crowd who thinks it's a cool thing to have. It definitely looks cleaner without it on the back end, but it still *is* functional... remember that.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:51 PM
LaidbackRacr

Default More Pics of Shaved Rear

By popular demand here are some better pics of my shaved rear hatch

Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 AM

Get real, no one drops the rear wiper for weight loss.
Actually I took mine off for just that reason.
I have a V1 spoiler on which added a lot of weight to the hatch. Once opened, it would close by itself. Removing the hatch weight, rear wiper, and motor solved this problem, and now my hatch stays open.

But, I'm still also arguing the point that removing 3 pounds for free IS a huge bargain.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:45 PM
dgz32

Originally Posted by lebby-pooh
looks great man. did you black out the nissan burger on the back?

nice touch. i might try painting the burger body color instead of shaving it off in case i ever plan on trading the car in.
Thanks. Yeah, all emblems are blacked-out in the photos. I've since replaced the side emblems with a new unpainted set. Like with the wiper, I was going for a cleaner look and felt that the emblems were too distracting.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 PM
dgz32

Originally Posted by El Guy
That looks awesome, I want to do it this weekend can you give me more installation instruction.
Thanks. I'll do my best to shoot some pics of the inside (underneath the trim) and post by tomorrow...maybe Saturday. It really is quite easy to to.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by 21112
Actually I took mine off for just that reason.
I have a V1 spoiler on which added a lot of weight to the hatch. Once opened, it would close by itself. Removing the hatch weight, rear wiper, and motor solved this problem, and now my hatch stays open.

But, I'm still also arguing the point that removing 3 pounds for free IS a huge bargain.
Is this for drag purposes?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:30 PM

Is this for drag purposes?
Mine's not...it's so I can open the hatch without it falling on my head.

But if your going to go into the conversation about weight distribution, you can relocate the battery to the back.

Lightness is rightness my friend. There is a quote I saw somewhere..."add hp to your car and go fast in a straight line....lose weight and go fast everywhere. "

Over on my motorcycle boards everyone is into titanium screws...just because they shave off ounces...forget pounds. So when comparing a car's weight to a bike's weight I guess the performance benefit someone would get from buying titanium screws and putting them on a bike would be equivalent to someone removing the rear wiper on a car. The difference is the price per titanium screw is unbelievable expensive and removing the rear wiper is unbelievably cheap. That's all I'm getting at.

Quick Reply: Removed rear wiper + covered hole *PICS*