Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:27 PM
CG 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just don't get it

Why do people judge on other people's creativity? Why can't people just be happy for another person's ideas and designs for their car? It just makes me sad whenever I see someone do something to their car or has plans for a modification to their car, and someone will say that makes the car looks ricey. That just makes it sound like something a domestic car fan would say to anyone owning an import, just to degrade the import lifestyle. I can understand if some like their body kits to looks clean or close to stock, but then don't tell other people that want to get body kits that are out of the "Clean look" that it will look ricey. I'm just making this post in defense for those that just want to be creative with their cars, but who are sometimes afraid to make that move in fears of fellow import lovers claiming their cars to look "ricey".

I say go as extreme as you want with your car, if you want the neons underneath go for it... if you want extreme body kits (not talking about those hillbilly made ones that are just ridiculous, we've all seen those pics) go for it... Be the creative individual that you are and become the innovator with your car.

Sorry for the rant guys, but just had to let my heart out on what i've been feeling, and also maybe give more confidence to those that want to do modifications to their cars but are to afraid in fear of carmates belittling them.

Chris
Old 07-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

it is your car, do whatever you like. DOn't mind what other people said.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:26 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by Bubble
it is your car, do whatever you like. DOn't mind what other people said.

+1, just remember when you post pics up and ask for comments, people will give you their honest opinoin.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:17 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Unit
+1, just remember when you post pics up and ask for comments, people will give you their honest opinoin.
Constructive criticism is one thing (and a good thing), but there are those people that take any opportunity to make themselves feel better about themselves by putting other people's ideas down (classic insecurity).

Case in point: I was one of the first people to have Katzkins seat covers put on a 350Z and when someone posted pictures of them in thread, without my permission, the first five people that posted were outraged that I did it. The ironic part is at least two out of those five people ended up getting Katzkins.

My car has been to SEMA and has been in numerous ads, but for the most part, I refuse to start a thread with pictures of my car's mods thanks to the "idiots" on these boards.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:09 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's your car and as soon as the other guy starts making the payment they can start having inputs (that matter) to the modifications.

Some people here are building their cars for street racing or track racing.

Whatever. I have very little interest in going faster (at this point )

I'm playing with the sound system. That floats my boat at this time.

There are only three things that spell "rice" in my book:

1) Fart can mufflers that make your V6 sound like a Honda I4
2) Underbody neons anywhere but the show floor. (can I add windshield wiper LED's here too).
3) Window stickers on a car that is not truely sponsored. (not counting your mom and dad's efforts)

Take those for what they're worth (Z-E-R-O)
Old 07-13-2005, 06:11 AM
mdracer76
Banned

+2
Old 07-13-2005, 06:20 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always wonder why people ask whether others like their mods or not. i do my mods cuz IIIIII like them, to make my z look and perform the way IIIIII want it to. nothing else matters. i post pix of my mods sometimes to share, not to see if others approve of them.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Qbrozen

Originally Posted by Anyone2u
Constructive criticism is one thing (and a good thing), but there are those people that take any opportunity to make themselves feel better about themselves by putting other people's ideas down (classic insecurity).
Like ZBoy said, do it for yourself, not for others.

In my opinion, its the ones who get offended at others' opinions that are insecure. If you need to be validated by someone else's opinion, you should first find someone who will agree with you, THEN show that person what you've done. However, if you are secure in yourself and what you like, then go ahead and post so that you can share with those who care and who will like what you've done and just ignore the rest.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Vertex350

I say, do what you want and what makes you happy. It's your car and you're the one that's going to be looking at it everyday.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:44 AM
old_s13

1) If you are happy with what you have, you'll enjoy it regardless of what people say in real life or on a forum.

2) If you are happy with what you have, then there really isnt much of a reason to show it off on the forums because when you ask for attention, you ARE going to get mixed opinions -- always. You will get people that love it, hate it, and then of course.. some people just hate because thats all they are capable of. Some are just trendy and follow whats current, weaksauce.

Truth of the matter is, that there's a lot of garbage being put on cars out there. I personally find it funny when I see people mess up their nice cars because they spent money to make their car look janky.

Seriously now, if someone goes through the effort and pays to have their nice stock bumper removed and replaced with a crappy fiberglas one made by APC that doesnt fit right -- damn straight I am going to laugh out loud. Too many people lack taste and well, they just learn the hard way. :-)
Old 07-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Chicken

I honestly don't know why anyone really cares what others think. I bought the car knowing that the front bumper annoyed me and that I would be replacing it. I have a kit, wheels, leather seats, etc. It makes *me* happy. I don't consider myself a real mod type (this is the first car that I've ever owned that I've done anything to like this).

Every time I read comments such as, "The best body kit is stock" I laugh. People on the street (walking by while I'm driving or standing at a corner while I turn) stare at the car. People have flagged me down asking about the car. People next to me at lights ask me about the car. I'm sure many of you have experienced the same thing whether your car is stock or not. But here's the part I like.. People have said they've been checking out Z's and mine was the best one they have seen.

There's nothing wrong with a stock Z, but I aim to please no one but myself. Better get used to it.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Dream

Originally Posted by Paul350Z3
Window stickers on a car that is not truely sponsored. (not counting your mom and dad's efforts)
I am so going to start marketing "MOM" and "DAD" sponsor stickers.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Dream

+3. Imagine gathering 50 people in a room and saying, "I'm against the conflict in Iraq because we really don't belong there." You're going to get comments both ways, some of which are going to hate on you. You should expect negative feedback when you express yourself, especially on a subjective topic like car mods. Just ignore the haters and everything will be ok.

Keep in mind that certain things will result in nearly unanimous hate. If you stood up in that same crowd of 50 people and said, "I'm all for allowing people to have sex with corpses, especially blonde women over 40", you shouldn't expect anything but negative feedback. Similarly, posting pics of your Z with a 4' aluminum wing, Powered by Type R stickers, 24" spinners, underbody pulsating orange neon and 10" dual fart can exhaust is probably going to result in a lot of hate.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:59 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

+4

Expect to get both good & bad feedback since not everyone will have the same taste. "To each his own" as they say & so long as you're happy with what you got, that's all that matters.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by CG 350Z
Why do people judge on other people's creativity? Why can't people just be happy for another person's ideas and designs for their car? It just makes me sad whenever I see someone do something to their car or has plans for a modification to their car, and someone will say that makes the car looks ricey. That just makes it sound like something a domestic car fan would say to anyone owning an import, just to degrade the import lifestyle. I can understand if some like their body kits to looks clean or close to stock, but then don't tell other people that want to get body kits that are out of the "Clean look" that it will look ricey. I'm just making this post in defense for those that just want to be creative with their cars, but who are sometimes afraid to make that move in fears of fellow import lovers claiming their cars to look "ricey".

I say go as extreme as you want with your car, if you want the neons underneath go for it... if you want extreme body kits (not talking about those hillbilly made ones that are just ridiculous, we've all seen those pics) go for it... Be the creative individual that you are and become the innovator with your car.

Sorry for the rant guys, but just had to let my heart out on what i've been feeling, and also maybe give more confidence to those that want to do modifications to their cars but are to afraid in fear of carmates belittling them.

Chris
The term "ricey" does not refer to a particular type of mod or kit, or part or whatever. It refers to trying to give the appearance of something that isn't true, and in the process, making your car look ridiculous.

Examples of rice:

Putting a racing wing on an otherwise unmodded Civic DX

Using mailbox lettering to put a NISMO logo onto your base model Sentra that doesn't have a single NISMO part

Those stupid TYPE R badges on anything other than an Intergra Type R, which incidentally is the only Type R Honda vehicle imported into this country.

Coffee can exhausts....which are suposed to make you think there is a high pressure turbo under hood. That's fine if there actually is, but it is a very big bowl of the white stuff if there isn't.

Japanese lettering. This is the U.S., not Japan, and most people can, in fact, not speak Japanese. What is this all about? Is it some elitist Japan thing that is supposed to make a public statement like "you can't understand what's written on my car because you are so inferior, but it says I have a million hp quad turbo motor". It could say "Puff Pastry" for all I know.

Those fake cross drilled rotor look alike brake dust shields.

Cutting your springs to make it look that you have a high performance suspension.

The thing that ricers don't understand is that anyone who knows anything about cars will be laughing at them, and the rest of the general public won't care, so what's the point. Ricer's don't mod their cars because they like it. They do stupid, fake things to try and fool others into thinking their cars are something they are not

www.riceboypage.com check it out. You'll be rolling on the floor laughing!!!

Last edited by Speedracer; 07-13-2005 at 04:55 PM.