Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NISMO Bodykit install 12/7 - what do you want to see?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 04:44 PM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks nice...more pics!!!
Old 12-08-2002, 04:58 PM
z461

What pieces did you get and how much was the kit?
Old 12-08-2002, 05:03 PM
vicmar90

I like it! I am sure it's going to look sweet once its buffed and cleaned and has the rear spoiler on. Did you get the rear diffusers?

I am thinking about getting the Nismo side skirts along with the Top Secret front diffuser. I don't want to get the Nismo rear diffusers because I don't like how they look but am concerned about the side skirts not blending with the stock rear shape. What do you think?

Also, I have the stock rear spoiler and will go with this for now. I know the Nismo spoiler looks good but I don't have the money for it now.

Good luck with your car and I look forward to your report on how the install went. I am curious what you think about the side skirts being removed without having to lift the car as I would like to install them myself.
Victor
Old 12-08-2002, 05:25 PM
sdpearso

The kit and the cost:

I bought the whole kit from Japanparts.com. Thanks Graham.
[list][*]The kit was about $2400 US.[*]The shipping was about $600 after insurance and import/customs fees. I had it airfreighted because I'm impatient. Regular shipping would have been much less. I wired the money from my bank so I saved the 5% fee but it took an extra 2 days to ship because transfers to Japan have to go through a clearing house in NY before they transfer to the bank in Japan.[*] The painting cost about $800. This also includes fixing the scratches in the rear hatch that I caused when I removed the stock spoiler. Oops! [*] I installed the kit myself so no extra charge there but I was quoted $65/hr for an install from a reputable local performance shop. They estimated 3hrs total.
--------------------------------------
Total: $3800
Old 12-08-2002, 05:38 PM
sdpearso

The install:

The install is easy but the parts didn't exactly fit perfectly. Some modifications were made though not necessary (I will post details and pics later).
A lift is NOT required, I'm just spoiled.
Anyone with patience could do this. Well, maybe not anyone
It's basically just unbolting the old and bolting up the new. Actually the NISMO bumper was easier to install than the stock bumper is. There are less mounting points.

Dr. Bonz, don't get discouraged. A brickyard would look great with this kit. Of course one thing to keep in mind is that my car is black. It's the easiest color to match. The Lemans Sunset, Brickyard, and Daytona Blue would be the hardest so those colors may cost more to paint. Of course prices for body work vary greatlky anyway, and not always based on quality.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:47 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by vicmar90
I like it! I am sure it's going to look sweet once its buffed and cleaned and has the rear spoiler on. Did you get the rear diffusers?

I am thinking about getting the Nismo side skirts along with the Top Secret front diffuser. I don't want to get the Nismo rear diffusers because I don't like how they look but am concerned about the side skirts not blending with the stock rear shape. What do you think?

Also, I have the stock rear spoiler and will go with this for now. I know the Nismo spoiler looks good but I don't have the money for it now.

Good luck with your car and I look forward to your report on how the install went. I am curious what you think about the side skirts being removed without having to lift the car as I would like to install them myself.
Victor
I did get the rear diffusers...see my response to SKiDaZZLe in the 3rd post.

I also think that the rear diffusers are the weakest part of this kit. I was also wondering how the kit would look with the rear diffusers left off. Now that the bumper and skirts are installed I think it would look fine. The kit doesn't really lower the car noticeably (spell check please). Maybe .5" in some places at the most. I will be installing the spoiler this week and will get many pics of the completed car without the rear diffusers. Based on what I see and the feedback from others, I may install them later.

Also, I actually removed the bolts for the sideskirts while the car was on the lift and removed the sideskirts with the car on the ground. The lift just got in the way for the sideskirts. You could easily remove the sideskirts with the car on the ground, you'd just be on your knees or back to remove the bolts. They are very close to the edge thogh as you can see from the previous pics.

To install the bumper, you'd definitely want to have the front of the car on ramps or jack stands because some of the bolts/clips that need to be removed are back about 2' and there's no way you'd reach them with the car on the ground.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:00 PM
vicmar90

Thanks. Can't wait to see the pics. with the car nice and clean and all parts installed.
Victor
Old 12-08-2002, 07:53 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, that really looks good. I really want this kit. I will be going with the Top Secret front diffuser though. I was going to get the Nismo skirts, the rear wing and the rear diffuser but now I'm thinking how it would look minus the rear diffuser. Could you take some pics of the car after the wing is one but before you put on the rear diffuser (if that is the order that you are going to go with of course)? A shot from the side, a three quarter side view, and a direct rear view would be really helpful. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-08-2002, 11:37 PM
z461

I'm actually wondering how this kit would look with just the side diffusers... I dunno about the front lips, they just look like they jut out too much IMO...
Old 12-09-2002, 03:03 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

That's why I'm going with the Top Secret one. Also, that's a lot of $ since you have to replace the entire bumper. With the T.S. one it's a separate piece. Also, someone mentioned that this one doesn't really add to the aerodynamics of the car like the T.S. one. Don't know anything about that though.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:24 PM
Loaded_Pistol
Banned

I may go the same route as Dr. Bonz, but not until I see the final pics of sdpearso’s ride and then its SKiDaZZLe's turn.

Those guys inspire me to do things to my Z as if it wasn’t in my plans already.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:36 PM
dczoner

Shaun, if I could make a request, can you take a picture from the driver's seat looking back through the rear windshield once you get the spoiler attached?

Sometime in the next few months I want to add on a spoiler, and I really like the NISMO design - I'm just worried I'm going to lose a significant chunk of my already laughable rear view. Any comments or impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and good luck with the rest of the install!
Old 12-09-2002, 01:43 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by dczoner
Shaun, if I could make a request, can you take a picture from the driver's seat looking back through the rear windshield once you get the spoiler attached?

Sometime in the next few months I want to add on a spoiler, and I really like the NISMO design - I'm just worried I'm going to lose a significant chunk of my already laughable rear view. Any comments or impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and good luck with the rest of the install!
I will post a picture of the rear view. I did set the spoiler on the car before it was painted and it didn't get in the way. The very top of the spoiler just peeks out from the bottom of the view depending on how you have the mirror adjusted.

You'll see when I post the pic.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Shaun-

can you remove the license plate holder that comes with the front bumper?

also, how "flexible" is the front chin?
Old 12-09-2002, 02:29 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by Chebosto
Shaun-

the chin is not real flexible. its stiffer than stock because it is solid.

the license plate holder is a special L braket with welded nuts for the license plate. it mounts to the middle of the grille with 2 bolts. you do not need to drill any holes in the bumper, and the holder does not interfere with the hole for the tow hook.

m
Old 12-09-2002, 02:47 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by Chebosto
Shaun-

See the second picture I posted in this thread. The L bracket, that SKiDaZZLe mentions, mounts to this point on the bumper. The Big hole in the center is for the tow hook. The small holes on each side are for the bracket screws. This is all one peice with the bumper and is not removable. The L bracket is a seperate peice and does not have to be installed.

I suppose if you wanted you could cut it off the bumper before it was painted. The only catch is that, because the tow hook also mounts there, there is a hole in the grill screen there.

As for the flex, SKiDaZZLe is correct, these pieces are not what I would call flexible. This is also the reason that the bumper has less mounting points, it's more rigid so it doesn't need them.

I would park far from curbs.

Also, contrary to what most think this kit does NOT hang lower than the factory body peices. The bumper may be 1/8" lower and the skirts, because they curve, may be slightly lower than the factory skirts near the tires.

The only reduced clearance is entering a steep driveway because the lip on the bumper hangs farther forward than the stock bumper. But even this is slight.

Last edited by sdpearso; 12-09-2002 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Loaded_Pistol
Banned

The kit is made out of fiberglass?!
Thanx
Old 12-09-2002, 03:01 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by Loaded_Pistol
The kit is made out of fiberglass?!
Thanx
The kit is FRP.

FRP = Fiber Reinforced Plastic

(this can be read Fiberglass & Resin)

Yes, it's fiberglass.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:20 PM
JZC

I'm usually one not for kits, but this is turning out to be one bad *** looking little ride.

Hell, it's even made me consider a kit.

When it's done post pics until you bring down at least 23 servers.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:41 PM
Brad4rdHay

Can I make a sugestion without sounding like a dick....put the orange reflectors backin, its looks unfinished IMO.

Kit looks good man.

Quick Reply: NISMO Bodykit install 12/7 - what do you want to see?