Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on underbody diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 01:22 PM
john350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on underbody diffuser

what and where in the heck is the underbody diffusor on the track model? on my track model, it listed front chin spoiler, rear spoiler, and underbody diffusor. my touring is getting the aero package, which is just the front chin spoier and rear spoiler. so where is this underbody diffuser.

anyone have a pic or diagram of where it is and cost?

thanx,
john30z
Old 12-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Clyde

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear diffuser

my understanking is that the rear unit is located behind the left rear wheel. It's not more than about 2-3" wide but about 8" tall.

What I would like more info on is the middle air deflector the runs right beside the pre-muffler. I have seen several pics. but no one has mentioned this piece or on which model it appears. Any ideas?
Old 12-25-2002, 10:54 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sorry, you are both incorrect.

The air diffusor running alongside the pre-mufffler is on all production models of the 350. There was mistaken hype about this part because of the underbody picture taken by Sports Car Compact Magazine of their PREPRODUCTION car which did not have this piece. The other rear diffusor is a wedge shaped, metal shovel welded to the front of the rear muffler facing forward. All 350s have this configuration muffler with air dam.

Having checked out the underbody configuration of both Touring and the Track, the mystery "underbody diffusor" is not really an accurate description of the only unique pieces(s) under the body of a Track that no other model of the Z has. I will be waxing my wheels tomorrow and will take them off and get pictures to post of what I am talking about, but basically, they are large plastic "humps" on either side of the car that are blocking air turbulence in the cavity between the rear wheel wells and the front side of the rear bumper. These plastic pieces bolt to the underside of the body and prevent air from flowing into the cavity and causing drag and lift on the rear end of the Z. Other posters on this forum have researched the Nissan 350Z parts catalog and to date have not yet pinned down the applicable part numbers, so for now, they remain a unique attribute of the Track model cars.

Last edited by ChinaClipper; 12-25-2002 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Clyde

Default production models

My Z does not have the air difuser running along side the pre muffler. I have only seen this in pictures and not on any units on the street. China chceck to see if yours has it. I also think we're talking about the same rear difuser. When you look you'll see it behind the left rear in the space between the wheel well and rear bumper.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:16 PM
ChinaClipper

Default Diffuser alongside premuffler

Originally posted by Clyde
My Z does not have the air difuser running along side the pre muffler. I have only seen this in pictures and not on any units on the street. China chceck to see if yours has it. I also think we're talking about the same rear difuser. When you look you'll see it behind the left rear in the space between the wheel well and rear bumper.
Clyde, what model Z do you have? Here is a pic of the diffuser running alongside the premuffler on my Track.
Attached Thumbnails question on underbody diffuser-premufflerdiffuser.jpg  
Old 12-26-2002, 04:17 PM
ChinaClipper

And here is another picture looking underneath. The front of the car is to the right in these two pictures.
These are just formed, relatively flat pieces of plastic underneath the car to smooth the airflow underneath. I can verify that Touring models have these pieces as well as my Track.
Attached Thumbnails question on underbody diffuser-premufflerdiffuser2.jpg  
Old 12-26-2002, 04:22 PM
ChinaClipper

Default "Mystery" diffuser?

Okay, and now for pics of what I think is the unique piece to the Track. This is shot #1 of the left-hand piece, with my hand pointing out the black plastic diffuser. Touring models do not have this part.
(Note: for reference, you are looking into the left rear wheel well towards the aft bumper.)
Attached Thumbnails question on underbody diffuser-lrdiffuser.jpg  
Old 12-26-2002, 04:26 PM
ChinaClipper

Default Another shot of the Left rear diffuser.

This shot is taken from directly behind and underneath the car, looking up and forward towards the left rear wheel well with the tire and wheel removed.
Attached Thumbnails question on underbody diffuser-lrdiffuser2.jpg  
Old 12-26-2002, 04:28 PM
ChinaClipper

Default And now for the right hand side diffuser...

This shot is taken looking into the right hand wheel well, looking aft towards the rear bumper. My hand is once again pointing out what i think is the unique piece to the Track. This part is just inboard of the wheel well liner.
Attached Thumbnails question on underbody diffuser-rrdiffuser.jpg  
Old 12-26-2002, 04:30 PM
ChinaClipper

Default Final shot of the right rear diffuser.

This is another shot of the right hand piece from behind and below the rear bumper. The silver lower suspension arm with integral spring perch is right ahead of this black, plastic part. Rear wheel is again removed for access.
Attached Thumbnails question on underbody diffuser-rrdiffuser2.jpg  
Old 12-26-2002, 05:04 PM
john350Z

thanx for the replies guys and thanx for the pix china clipper.

is there part #s for the mystery underbody diffusers.

i traded my cs track for a ppw touring last week. the dealer gave me the aero package and rays wheels during the trade, but i need the underbody diffusers, and big brake kit-maybe brembos, stoptech, or alcon.

thanx and keep us updated,
john350z
Old 12-26-2002, 06:20 PM
Clyde

Default underbody part

China, I do have the scaloped black piece that looks like a big "W" with holes. What I have seen in pics only is a metal sheet that runs right beside the pre- muffler. It's not the heat shields but a seperate piece that fills the gap. I have only seen pics on 2 cars one Blue the other Red. Go to

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ro...san15_zoom.jpg
Old 12-26-2002, 06:21 PM
Clyde

Default The part I'm refering to is #6

Where can I find this part?
Old 12-27-2002, 08:22 PM
ChinaClipper

Default Re: The part I'm refering to is #6

Where can I find this part?
Clyde, I checked underneath my Track again tonight. There is no metal piece present corresponding to part #6 in your picture on mine alongside the pre-muffler. Remember that SCC shot this photo of a Nissan pre-production prototype, and I strongly suspect the underbody configuration was not the final production style.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:30 AM
Clyde

Default China, Do you think that

making a piece like that would improve air flow especially if one has removed the pre-muffler? It seems to me that that is large air pocket which could be smoothed out by installing a flat piece.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:04 AM
ChinaClipper

Thumbs up Re: Aero pieces

China, Do you think that making a piece like that would improve air flow especially if one has removed the pre-muffler? It seems to me that that is large air pocket which could be smoothed out by installing a flat piece.
Hey Clyde. I think I would trust Nissan with their ability to research and test these various aero pieces to know what they are doing and to know if they are worthwhile or not. Nissan seems to have concentrated on cleaning up air entry to under the body and air exit from underneath the body. I suspect what you talk about would only minimally help as the flow should be relatively smooth at that point.
As further verification of my suspicions about the rear diffusers, attached below is a pic of the aero diagram from the JDM Nissan Z brochure which discusses 0.30 versus 0.29 Cd. The piece that I point to in the posts above is indeed refered to as a REAR DIFFUSER. It, the front spoiler (and rear spopiler) are the only pieces marked with an asterisk to denote the ability to contribute to "zero rear lift" and the Cd of 0.29. The other aero pieces noted with an orange circle in the diagram from left to right are FRONT DEFLECTOR (ahead of front wheels), FLOOR FAIRING (by shifter), REAR DEFLECTOR (ahead of rear wheels), FLOOR SIDE FAIRING (between premuffler and diff), and MAIN MUFFLER DIFFUSER.
Attached Thumbnails question on underbody diffuser-mvc-023e.jpg  
Old 12-31-2002, 11:03 AM
TRACK350z

Default underbody diffuser pics

click here for the pics

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....229#post157229