Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005 | 08:02 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Eh. I like my 03-05 tails better I think.
Old 10-13-2005 | 06:40 PM
DWS44

SO, now that bunches of folks are gonna be ebaying their 05 tails, won't that pretty much kill any resale value in them?
Old 10-13-2005 | 08:51 PM
Chicken

Originally Posted by Armitage
Eh. I like my 03-05 tails better I think.
Me too, and am just glad they didn't make any change that I really like... or I might end up buying it. Saved $$$ whew.
Old 10-13-2005 | 09:58 PM
AzianToby

Now I know what to ask Santa this year
Old 11-02-2005 | 05:07 AM
frankmusic

Cool Got 'em!!

I just received my 2006 Tail Lights from UltimateZ! UPS performed their regular role by delivering a huge battered box that indeed contained the set of long awaited 06 Tail Lights. The box looked as if they (UPS) were vigorously testing its value as a trampoline. Yes, there were the typical UPS telltale trade mark footprints all over that defenseless box. I thought for sure I was going to have to engage myself in sending back all the broken little pieces. To my relief, when I the box and shook it a couple of times, I didn't hear a sound.

The good news is that thanks to some very thoughtful packing, the precious contents unbelievably survived the obvious unnecessary gorilla antics of the delivery process.

In person, these Tail Lights even look awesome in an ordinary A/B comparison and I haven't even installed them yet. The instructions state that there will be a need to tap into the existing wires on the harness before you actually clip on (secure) the light housings to your vehicle. The necessary wire taps are included. The process is NOT a straight forward plug and play operation. However, the recommended installation instructions look very easy to do.

I had to charge my camera in order to take some pics, so I will post them as soon as I begin the install.

-Frank
Old 11-02-2005 | 06:12 AM
robbycolli

Wait a minute. I just plugged mine in and played. Are my lights not hooked up correctly? There was an extra plug I did not use but the lights seem to work fine. Am i missing blinkers or something? Thanks, Rob
Old 11-02-2005 | 08:30 AM
Ztalker

Waita minute......are you guys talking about the same lights? according to Jason @Performance Nissan they are supposed to be plug and play.
Old 11-02-2005 | 08:56 AM
robbycolli

Thats what i thought, and i think mine work just fine as is???
Old 11-02-2005 | 08:59 AM
liveoneva

Yeah, somewhere in this thread I think, Jason had said that you just need to cover up the "extra" connection with electrical tape or something.

I read it, just don't remember exactly where.
Old 11-02-2005 | 01:21 PM
frankmusic

Cool Here's what it sez:

Last night my camera needed a couple of hours charging time before I could snap some decent pics. = Done!
Tonight I will begin taking some tail light pics that I hope to post immediately - if not sooner.

In the mean time, here is a copy of the LED Tail Light instructions that came inside this package. I am posting these instructions for your perusal.

The UltimateZ Installation Instructions;
1). Remove Original Tail Lamp:
Pry out three caps in the trunk opening. Remove three 10mm bolts located under caps. Carefully pull the tail lamp outward firmly to remove it from two retainer clips under the tail lamp. There will be 1 connector with 2 wires, and 1 connector with 3 wires.

2). Remove the 2 wire connector from the original tail lamp by depressing the center pin and then pulling the two ends apart.

3). Wrap the 2 wire connector in electrical tape to prevent moisture or corrosion. This connector will no longer be used.

4). The 3 Wire Connector:
Remove the covering of the 3 wires by cutting or push the covering back to expose the 3 wires and the color-coded insulation.

5). Using the 'provided red wire taps', insert Black wire from the tail lamp through the hollow side of connector. Insert the other wire into the other side of the connector up to the internal stop. Do NOT strip insulation fro either wire. Using a pair of pliers, squeeze metal tap through both wires to complete the connection. Snap retaining clip into position and the tap is complete.

6). Repeat Step 5 tapping Pink and Black wires from the car’s harness, and the Green and Yellow wire from the tail lamp.

7). Repeat Step 5 tapping Red and Black wires from the car’s harness, and the Green and Red wires from the tail lamp. Wrap all finished connections in electrical tape.

8). Set the tail lamp into place. Do not clip in yet. Turn on lights to test that each parking lamp operates properly. Step on the brake pedal to test the brake lamps. Should bulbs fail to illuminate, ensure that the connections are complete.

9). Clip tail lamps into place. Re-install the retaining screws and covers.

Later,
Frank
Old 11-02-2005 | 05:03 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

What?

Have fun doing all of that... The only thing you need to do is step 3 because that connector is not used...

There is no reason to do the rest of the wire tapping at all... The clip from your existing wireharness for the car that plugged into the 2003-2005 tail light is the same as the 06... They plug rite up...

Did you try just plugging it in without doing all that?
Old 11-02-2005 | 05:56 PM
frankmusic

Cool Done!

Here's exactly what I did. I checked to make sure that the pins on the tail lamp and their respective color-coded wires corresponded with the proper color-coded wires on the harness connector. Well, in fact they do. Ain't that great? So apparently the included wire-taps are not necessary. I was not about to cut, tap nor straight plug in – until I was certain that this was the proper method of installation.

So did I have a 'fun' time tonight?
Yup! I had several of my car friends here tonight that were admiring the new tail lights on my car.

I’ll post the pics as soon as I finish sizing the resolution down on them.
Old 11-02-2005 | 06:13 PM
frankmusic

Cool After waiting a little bit

A side by side look at the two tail lamps.
Attached Thumbnails Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite3.jpg   Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite4.jpg  
Old 11-02-2005 | 06:28 PM
frankmusic

Cool

The back of the older tail lamps were made with black plastic. The new tail lamps now use RED plastic on their back. So if you accidently scratch the black surface, the red plastic may show through.
Attached Thumbnails Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite6.jpg   Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite5.jpg  
Old 11-02-2005 | 06:37 PM
frankmusic

Cool

Old Lights Removed.
Attached Thumbnails Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite8.jpg   Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite7.jpg  
Old 11-02-2005 | 06:43 PM
frankmusic

Cool More pics

It's definitely a better look.
Attached Thumbnails Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite10.jpg   Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite11.jpg  
Old 11-02-2005 | 06:51 PM
frankmusic

Default and lastly........

more tomorrow .............outdoor night time shots.
Attached Thumbnails Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite12.jpg   Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite13.jpg  
Old 11-02-2005 | 06:57 PM
Swiffer

Thumbs up

looks nice frank!
Old 11-02-2005 | 07:00 PM
frankmusic

Originally Posted by mc350z
NICE!

i cant wait for mine

i preordered mine about 2 weeks ago. so im losing sleep waiting on them!
did you tape off the other unused plug or just leave it?
and im glad you didnt put yourself through all that extra trouble with the wire taps
They may take a while since we've been told that they have been arriving damaged.
On that same note - I didn't want to blow these new LED Tail Lights by inadvertantly installing them wrong. Sending the wire taps with those instructions - well - I simply hesitated on that particular process. So I took my time as we also joked around about it a little bit.
All in all, if you like the LED look -then they're certainly worth the price.

Enjoy 'em when they finally arrive!
Attached Thumbnails Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!-lite14.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!