Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Just Got My 2006 Tail Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005 | 07:02 PM
frankmusic

Cool I like 'em too!

Originally Posted by camaro194
looks nice frank!
Thanks much! Sorry these pics took so long to post.
Old 11-02-2005 | 07:24 PM
playa6tnine

i wonder what those bad boys look like with Bat's overlays (when the lights are on of course)
Old 11-02-2005 | 08:05 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by frankmusic
Here's exactly what I did. I checked to make sure that the pins on the tail lamp and their respective color-coded wires corresponded with the proper color-coded wires on the harness connector. Well, in fact they do. Ain't that great? So apparently the included wire-taps are not necessary. I was not about to cut, tap nor straight plug in – until I was certain that this was the proper method of installation.

So did I have a 'fun' time tonight?
Yup! I had several of my car friends here tonight that were admiring the new tail lights on my car.

I’ll post the pics as soon as I finish sizing the resolution down on them.
Reguardless of color... the harness clip is the same...

Im glad you didnt butcher your wires...
Old 11-02-2005 | 08:08 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by frankmusic
They may take a while since we've been told that they have been arriving damaged.
On that same note - I didn't want to blow these new LED Tail Lights by inadvertantly installing them wrong. Sending the wire taps with those instructions - well - I simply hesitated on that particular process. So I took my time as we also joked around about it a little bit.
All in all, if you like the LED look -then they're certainly worth the price.

Enjoy 'em when they finally arrive!

so wait, did you cut your wires or not?
Old 11-02-2005 | 10:32 PM
mgl

here are night time pics of the 06 leds in comparison to the '03-'05 taillights
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/151548-06-led-taillights-night-pics.html
Old 11-02-2005 | 11:07 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by mgl
here are night time pics of the 06 leds in comparison to the '03-'05 taillights
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151548

In the picture you show... of the clips... there is a little clip that snaps into place on the new tail light... it is a different size for the 06,, just the out side secondary holding clip... most people will break it off when they remove the tail light, if you dont, and you go to put it on, it just doesnt snap into place on the 06 LED... the harness will stay put since it snaps on the inside...

there is no need to go through all that work and possibly damage a part that if it is really damaged you will have to replace your complete body harness to fix...

no reason to do that just for a little plastic clip on the out side....

when I get my car back from the body shop ill take detailed pictures...

or maybe ill do it on kenny's car tomorrow...
Old 11-03-2005 | 03:02 AM
frankmusic

Cool NOPE, but I needed to mention this story to others

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
so wait, did you cut your wires or not?
No, I did not cut, tap, splice, remove insulation, etc., etc. I have been following the various posts by Z forum members that have been anticipating these very cool items. In those dialogs many questions have been brought up regarding cost, availability and their installation. I basically saw two posts where you mention removing the three bolts and utilizing one connector from the vehicles harness to allow the light to function.

Then MY box arrived. Along with the lights came these installation instructions. Before I had made some time to do the actual install, I posted that information for everyone's viewing. The following day (during install) I began to look more carefully at their instructions. I just couldn't understand why they included printed information that appeared to be contrary to what was already mentioned here.

At this point, (while my buddies kept supplying their usual distractions) I just visually traced the existing colored wires and compared them with their recommended tapping procedure. Well both of which turned out that they were identical.

So why did they supply 6 wire tapping clips? Hey, who knows? That's what prompted me to look a bit further before proceeding.

When a reputable vendor prints the said installation methods that appear to be much different than what has been previously discussed - it pays to exercise some caution. In the end, the user is not required to take these extra steps.

AGAIN, they look great on the car and function as they were made to. Also, Ultimate Z did an excellent (but totally necessary) packing job.
Old 11-04-2005 | 09:19 PM
itburns

I was about to say... It's a nice mod, but seriously, this is one of the last things you would get for your Z. You must have rims and exhaust before going there. Then you want to upgrade your engine and drivetrain first. Shoot, you would even get shoulder pads and a shifter first.

Then I looked at the price. $385 each? No! $385 a pair! That sounds like a pretty good deal for the change in appearance! So that's why I shut my trap.
Old 11-05-2005 | 02:39 PM
playa6tnine

Originally Posted by itburns
I was about to say... It's a nice mod, but seriously, this is one of the last things you would get for your Z. You must have rims and exhaust before going there. Then you want to upgrade your engine and drivetrain first. Shoot, you would even get shoulder pads and a shifter first.

Then I looked at the price. $385 each? No! $385 a pair! That sounds like a pretty good deal for the change in appearance! So that's why I shut my trap.
Word
Old 05-16-2007 | 11:56 AM
alan86

subscribed