Sponsored by:

Silverstone paint touch ups

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstone paint touch ups

After about two years of messing with this one little door ding some wonderful person gave me I think I finally found the right combination of touch up paint.

First off let me state that the factory touch up paint was close but, I could still see the touch up at certain angles in the sun. For most people that would be good enough. However, not me.

Here is what I found. I needed to use two touch up colors to blend in the right effect of the silverstone metallic look.

I'm not going to go through all the things that didn't work like paint brush styles and all. I'm just going to tell you how I achieved the best results.

1) I found some toothpicks in the kitchen and ground a couple on some 100grit sandpaper. Concrete on the garage floor works fine too. What you are trying to do here is make a very fine tip that can be dipped into the touch up paint. You have to do this so the toothpick will pick up and absorb the paint vs globing it on the tip of the toothpick.

2) Took Duplicolor NG GM 396 Gunmetal Met. touch up paint and laid it into the base of the scratch. I dabbed it into the scratch with the wet paint.This does two things; it builds up the scratch to the be about the same height as the surrounding paint and set down a darker base you need.

3) Took Duplicolor NG GM435 Light Gray Met. touch up paint and dabbed it on the top of the Gunmetal Met. paint ever so slightly to match the metal flake pattern and color.

That's it! Doesn't sound hard. However, it does take a little playing around with to get it exactly right. It was much easier than all the other things I had tried and it is a great match, finally.

I just thought I would share this with you guys that might be stuggling to get the touch ups perfect like I do.