Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Bodykit experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:20 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow man... that REALLY SUX. The bodyshop guy did not paint that. .. he took a poop on it.. and rubbed it around. That kit is high quality, and .. unfortunatly .. the bodyshop really did not take thier time, and do it right.

I'm not sure what recourse you have, I hope you can take it back to them and point out the imperfections. If they dont want to work with you... then I'd go to EVERY Z meet you can and SHOW people what kind of work they do there. Shops Live and Die on thier reputation... and if anyone actually SAW that work and KNEW where it came from... they would have all the time in the world to work on thier race cars instead of their customers cars... because there would be no customer cars.

Not to rub it in.. but your car should look like mine...

Old 12-05-2005, 06:13 PM
MarquisDeSam

I can't believe this happened to you with a GENUINE INGS kit... it is supposed to be one of the best fitting kits out there. INGS is known for uber-quality and fitment... Any body shop that blames INGS for not molding the kit right is downright stupid... Any reputable body shop should have said "Duh, its INGS... maybe it's OUR fault that it's not fitting right."
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Nizmo1180

It is unfortunate that James Kim takes the position, that I will mention him by name, something I would not normally do. However, since he said so many untruths and named names not only people I know but also whom I care for, in a disparaging way. I’ve decided if he wants to name names be prepared to have his name mentioned, also with that being said I want to address Mr. Kim’s issues.

Mr. Kim put a $2,500 deposit down for the kit before I worked at Performance Motorsport. However, soon after I was hired I met Mr. Kim and tried to get to know him. I asked Nick what the cost was for the kit and he told me $2,500 with out hesitation I told James I would give him the kit at cost, no questions asked because he was a veteran and he crashed his car while working at Westbury Nissan. (I have the invoice from Bulletproof Auto Invoice # 3238 dated 5/19/05). This is the kit he wanted and even told me where to get it.

As far as hidden fees, when Bulletproof called me and told me the kit was in (from where I don’t know, could be Japan or China) I called James and told him the kit was in and how would he like it shipped from California to New York. I explained to James it would take anywhere from 10 to 15 days by ground. He instructed me to get it as soon as possible. I explained to him the best way would be to ship it by air. With that said, Bulletproof sent it air, and the air shipment cost was $300, which is also on the invoice #3238 from Bulletproof, which was agreed upon by James Kim. We added $50 because we had to now use Westbury Nissan’s delivery truck to send the kit to the body shop in Smithtown some 25 miles away. There are also manpower and truck costs involved; I felt $50 was reasonable. There again I have not made a dime. As far as the tax, I have to charge tax on every purchase in New York, which is the law, I value my business and I want no trouble from my friends at the IRS. So, $300 for the air shipment plus $50 for delivery to the body shop and $30.63 in tax. So I hope this explains the “hidden cost”. Mr. Kim was aware of this and happily agreed because he paid me, again not a dime was made for Performance Motorsport.

As far as paint goes, James asked do you know a good body shop? We only use one, which is Performance Auto Body, and I gave him the phone number and contact person. At that point I really had nothing to do with it. The charge was not $2,500 but $2,200 in the first place, also I personally placed a phone call to Smithtown Nissan, Oscar Rubio, who owns Smithtown Nissan and the body shop for 40 years! Oscar took the time out to personally meet with James to discuss his car. I don’t know of any other dealer principal that would do this.

So the fact that we, Performance Motorsport, did not do the paintwork or that we charged him is untrue at the very least. Also, so many of your board members are right $2,200 is a lot to spray a body kit, however, James’ car was crashed before so the body kit was so far from perfect some pieces of the body kit were “rough” to say the least. There were no brackets (which had to be made) so extra time was needed to deliver the best job possible.

I did personally inspect the car and at that time James was happy. It was clean, clear and drip free; it had no “fish eyes” or “orange peels” in the paint. The fit was about an 8/9 on a scale of 10, but this was as close as we were going to get based on the shortcomings of the kit and the condition of the car (because of the crash). The only thing he mentioned was the exhaust.

Performance Motorsport did not do the job or take James’ money, so once again James is misguided. Just for the record, do you really think that a Nissan owned body shop in business for 40 years, that has performed hundreds of repairs on Nissan cars a year would not have the experience to fix or paint Mr. Kim’s car? Nissan waited 40 years for Mr. Kim to show up and screw him even after the owner got personally involved. If the paint was so obviously wrong why did James 1) accept the car and 2) why didn’t he complain to the body shop that he was so unhappy? The reason is because he wasn’t unhappy; he just wants people to feel sorry for him, much like he’s getting from you guys on this forum with this outrageous thread!

Now, let’s talk about the exhaust because the way the injen is laid out, the rear exhaust is on an angle. So we could not just cut and extend because the angle would be completely wrong. The only way would be to 1) replace the exhaust at large cost or 2) basically rebuild the exhaust from the cat back straight through to the back of the body kit. This was not feasible because the rear sway bar wouldn’t allow it. That’s why the exhaust is on an angle in the first place.

We decided to make a nice billet aluminum exhaust shield. We spend a number of hours cutting, fitting and then yes drilling, so we can affix the shield to the bumper with some 1/8” stainless rivets, so it would not rust. However, after we put the one side (exhaust) on we decided that although it was better it was not perfect and decided the only way to fix this problem was, in our opinion, just to redesign the entire cat back. That is what we told James, and by his own admission, completely paid for the bumper repair and repaint, which we did and the car was delivered back to James in the same condition that he dropped it off in. Again, I’m eating the labor for the fab time and also for the material and again I paid for the body repair. I also have that receipt, from the local body shop, which cost $275.00.

At this time, I would like the board members to know 1) We ordered what James wanted, he told me the site to go on and the model number. 2) If the exhaust or for that matter, anything else needed to be altered, fabricated, or if the kit had to be modified it was James’ responsible to conduct due diligence on his part! Did anyone hear from James on my350Z.com asking about this kit and asking how it fit? I believe he made a bad choice and really wants someone else to take responsibility.

I think Mr. Kim is so unhappy! I have only tried to help James out, I stuck my neck out by personally recommending James for a job at the dealership, which he got but did not work out which I think where most of his anger is stemming from.

So let’s recap:

1) Performance Motorsport did not charge James for anything but cost and shipping for his body kit.

2) Got the owner of Nissan involved with his project.

3) Performance Motorsport did not paint his car.

4) Performance Motorsport paid for all repairs for the bumper/exhaust situation.

5) Gave him a job, a salary & sales training.

6) Gave him $3,000 in rims for his car after he crashed it instead of stock rims.

So in closing, who’s being used? Not only did James use us, but also it cost Performance Motorsport money, customers, and on my part a poor choice of helping one that I thought needed a break, obviously, I was wrong. I wish James all the best, I truly do, and I hope he gets help for his issues. However, we have not one but two employees that are just installers, they do not travel or work on the race team at all. They are in the shop to service our customers, so I highly doubt Nick, our sales person, not our secretary told anyone different. One last thing, by going racing, we do this to push the envelope on what could be done with the VQ engine. Yes, we go racing for our own reasons but a lot of that technology winds up being used and implemented on customers cars. If we don’t find out what works and what’s going to fail than how can we honestly say to our customers what works and what doesn’t. We’re here to pioneer the VQ engine in less than one year. We accomplished the fastest 350Z we went 8.33 @ 176 with a BV Goodrich tire and weighing 3300 lbs. This record was set in October ’04 and stands today. We, Performance Motorsport build the quickest and fastest VQ or Nissan for that matter, and the first Nissan ever to go 6 seconds and break 200-mph barrier with 6.63 @ 215. These accomplishments I’m very proud of as well as everyone involved with the program, Performance Motorsport and Westbury Nissan especially because without them I could not have done it! So the people that cheer us on I will keep giving you something to cheer about. Those people that jump on the bandwagon of hate without proof of knowing both sides of the story…later.

Sincerely & Happy Holidays,

Vinny Ten
Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 AM
G I Love My Car

You can not respond more pollitely than that after being called out the way he was, I think some light has just been shed
Old 12-07-2005, 12:56 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Bravo Vinny. Its good to see both sides of the story. So Sandman (James) really needs to be addressing his issue with with the imperfections in his kit directly woth the bodyshop then right?.. not you guys?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i retract my previous statements... even so when ron commented on how good they treat him (we're on the same club)... therefore vinny i will be stopping first thing in spring to get the whole suspension installed. hopefully you guy can help me out... it'll be coilovers, camber arms, toe bolts, sway bars, and alignment, hopefully it'll be a start of a good relationship w/ a performance shop.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM
JDMFairlady21

btw- that really was a well said explaination. couldnt have explained it better
Old 12-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Blue 03 Z

Is this the same place as performance auto sales, pretty much right across from smithtown mitsubishi.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 PM
nissansource

Im soo sorry for your losses on those deals. This is why i do all my work and go to paint shops where i can see the work they do. i know its not even your fault its terrible that it happend.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:59 PM
1G-350Z

There are two sides to a story... We all have to realize that...

There is no exact science to modifing a car.... Weather it is Forced Induction, audio system, Suspension, Wheels, or a body kit... You have to be prepared for some obstacles.. I bought an Aerosync front bumper from Adam @ z1auto... My first paint job started peeling by the second day. My bodyshop guy was blaming it on the quality of the front bumper... After some bickering... He agreed to repaint it, he took a little more time to do the job (5 Days). It's been 4 months no problems...
Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
1G-350Z

Originally Posted by Blue 03 Z
Is this the same place as performance auto sales, pretty much right across from smithtown mitsubishi.
Perfomance Motorsports is in Westbury (Westbury Nissan Serv. Center)
Old 12-07-2005, 03:04 PM
ReavTek

Originally Posted by Nizmo1180
Mr. Kim put a $2,500 deposit down for the kit before I worked at Performance Motorsport. However, soon after I was hired I met Mr. Kim and tried to get to know him. I asked Nick what the cost was for the kit and he told me $2,500 with out hesitation I told James I would give him the kit at cost, no questions asked because he was a veteran and he crashed his car while working at Westbury Nissan. (I have the invoice from Bulletproof Auto Invoice # 3238 dated 5/19/05). This is the kit he wanted and even told me where to get it.
You can't get something for nothing. I find it hard to believe you made 0 profit at all from selling him the kit.

As far as hidden fees, when Bulletproof called me and told me the kit was in (from where I don’t know, could be Japan or China) I called James and told him the kit was in and how would he like it shipped from California to New York. I explained to James it would take anywhere from 10 to 15 days by ground. He instructed me to get it as soon as possible. I explained to him the best way would be to ship it by air. With that said, Bulletproof sent it air, and the air shipment cost was $300, which is also on the invoice #3238 from Bulletproof, which was agreed upon by James Kim. We added $50 because we had to now use Westbury Nissan’s delivery truck to send the kit to the body shop in Smithtown some 25 miles away. There are also manpower and truck costs involved; I felt $50 was reasonable. There again I have not made a dime. As far as the tax, I have to charge tax on every purchase in New York, which is the law, I value my business and I want no trouble from my friends at the IRS. So, $300 for the air shipment plus $50 for delivery to the body shop and $30.63 in tax. So I hope this explains the “hidden cost”. Mr. Kim was aware of this and happily agreed because he paid me, again not a dime was made for Performance Motorsport.
If I were to buy a kit for X amount of dollars with shipping included thats all I am paying, period. Any additional fees/charges/sur charges/manpower that was not added at the original time of payment is a "hidden cost"

As far as paint goes, James asked do you know a good body shop? We only use one, which is Performance Auto Body, and I gave him the phone number and contact person. At that point I really had nothing to do with it.
If you recommend a body shop to a customer you know so well to give parts at cost to, maybe you should recommend them a quality shop and ensure your customer is treated well.

I did personally inspect the car and at that time James was happy. It was clean, clear and drip free; it had no “fish eyes” or “orange peels” in the paint. The fit was about an 8/9 on a scale of 10, but this was as close as we were going to get based on the shortcomings of the kit and the condition of the car (because of the crash). The only thing he mentioned was the exhaust.
If the fit and finish is not a 10 then you have failed. The customer should be 100% happy with the work, if they are not refund their money or fix it. Again I know you are not the shop that did this, just saying in general. I know MANY shops that simply give you the keys and wring their hands if you complain, these are shops that will never receive my repeat business. Whether or not the shop thinks they did well does not matter. What does the customer think?

We decided to make a nice billet aluminum exhaust shield.
Was James informed of this before it occured?

We spend a number of hours cutting, fitting and then yes drilling, so we can affix the shield to the bumper with some 1/8” stainless rivets, so it would not rust. However, after we put the one side (exhaust) on we decided that although it was better it was not perfect and decided the only way to fix this problem was, in our opinion, just to redesign the entire cat back. That is what we told James, and by his own admission, completely paid for the bumper repair and repaint, which we did and the car was delivered back to James in the same condition that he dropped it off in.
Again, I’m eating the labor for the fab time and also for the material and again I paid for the body repair. I also have that receipt, from the local body shop, which cost $275.00.
A bad job was performed on the heat shield so it had to be fixed, no cost was "eaten".

I don't know Mr. Kim or anyone else in this drama but I do know people don't go around typed out essay sized posts detailing a horrible shop experience when nothing happened. I would advise Mr. Kim to seek legal counsel and receive a full refund from the body shop if they start giving you the run around. The fact of the matter is the customer is not happy with a job they paid top dollar for. If it was that the bumper was bad, the retailer should return it to bulletproof and get a quality, non-defective, INGS bumper (which they are known to be). If the paint job was bad and you "fixed" it 3 times, punched holes in it, "fixed" it again and the paint is still not up to snuff refund a certain amount of money so the individual can goto another shop to have it done right.

Best Regards,

Reav
Old 12-07-2005, 04:34 PM
SandMan

Ok the total cost of the kit was $2700, and that is NOT including the fee of the shipping +tax cost (I was told I needed to pay this the day the body kit was picked up.) I also have receipts.

The reason I took the car was because from what I could see (rain drenched car) wasn't too bad. Maybe the water blended in so well the the lumpy paint I couldn't see it. If anyone wants to see first hand how bad this paint I have no problems showing them.

Vinny I thank you very much for helping me get a job. I learned alot, but the job wasn't for me. It has nothing to do with the anger. I quit on my own because I don't like car sales business. But what does this have to do with the kit being so messed up? Please explain, I am not angry at all about the job I learned how the car business works, and I thank you for the experience.

I wasn't informed of any heat shield. I went to the shop and to my suprise found holes in my bumper I will post pictures of it, it's on my cell. Vinny said he would include me in the decision making AFTER the holes in the bumper. Remember Vinny?

Congrats on great runs in the 350Z. I was a customer of Performance Motorsport before Vinny was there. I was there before it was open to the public. It hurt me when I trusted you with my baby. You guys had something I put my soul into. Then my soul was shattered by this event. What do you want me to say? Would you like me to apologize for my feelings? Yes I am angry, not because of a job I had a year ago. But because I trusted you guys, and you let me down. That is all. If you think otherwise that is NOT my intent. I paid for top notch work, but instead I was let down.

Regards,
James
Old 12-07-2005, 04:58 PM
SandMan

Default Pics

Here are the pictures of the damage from the heatshield that I had no idea was going to be put on.

The second picture was the paint damage from the Injen exhaust that was put on, when I was told the Injen will be fabricated to fit. I had a feeling the paint would get messed up, but I trusted Performance Motorsport.

How do you think other customers would feel if they went through the same situation? What do you think they would say? Do you actually feel they would be happy? And how do you think they would react if they were told "race team comes first and customers are second?" We are enthusiasts, we take our passion for cars another level. When I heard that I was very unhappy.
Attached Thumbnails Horrible Bodykit experience-holes.jpg   Horrible Bodykit experience-paint.jpg  
Old 12-07-2005, 05:12 PM
SandMan

Originally Posted by Nizmo1180
I think Mr. Kim is so unhappy! I have only tried to help James out, I stuck my neck out by personally recommending James for a job at the dealership, which he got but did not work out which I think where most of his anger is stemming from.

So let’s recap:

1) Performance Motorsport did not charge James for anything but cost and shipping for his body kit.

2) Got the owner of Nissan involved with his project.

3) Performance Motorsport did not paint his car.

4) Performance Motorsport paid for all repairs for the bumper/exhaust situation.

5) Gave him a job, a salary & sales training.

6) Gave him $3,000 in rims for his car after he crashed it instead of stock rims.

So in closing, who’s being used? Not only did James use us, but also it cost Performance Motorsport money, customers, and on my part a poor choice of helping one that I thought needed a break, obviously, I was wrong. I wish James all the best, I truly do, and I hope he gets help for his issues. However, we have not one but two employees that are just installers, they do not travel or work on the race team at all. They are in the shop to service our customers, so I highly doubt Nick, our sales person, not our secretary told anyone different. One last thing, by going racing, we do this to push the envelope on what could be done with the VQ engine. Yes, we go racing for our own reasons but a lot of that technology winds up being used and implemented on customers cars. If we don’t find out what works and what’s going to fail than how can we honestly say to our customers what works and what doesn’t. We’re here to pioneer the VQ engine in less than one year. We accomplished the fastest 350Z we went 8.33 @ 176 with a BV Goodrich tire and weighing 3300 lbs. This record was set in October ’04 and stands today. We, Performance Motorsport build the quickest and fastest VQ or Nissan for that matter, and the first Nissan ever to go 6 seconds and break 200-mph barrier with 6.63 @ 215. These accomplishments I’m very proud of as well as everyone involved with the program, Performance Motorsport and Westbury Nissan especially because without them I could not have done it! So the people that cheer us on I will keep giving you something to cheer about. Those people that jump on the bandwagon of hate without proof of knowing both sides of the story…later.

Sincerely & Happy Holidays,

Vinny Ten
Hmm what does this have to do with the bodykit being ruined?

Please tell me who was overseeing my car being painted. I mean since Westbury/Smithtown Nissan/Performance Motorsport/Performance Autobody are all owned by the same person.

The rear bumper HAD to be repainted. Look at what happened to it! Do you think for a second that the other people on my350z.com wouldn't say something?

If Performance autobody had 40 years experience, then why did my paint turned into that? The paint looks so bad in person, I feel ashamed to drive my car. I bought this car because I fell in love with it at the 2001 NYIAS. Now I am ashamed to take it outside.

A kit this nice doesn't deserve to be treated like this.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Cannysage

- the bottom line is Sandman's not please with the job after dumping $2700.
- the shipping is the shop's fault! should not quote him the final $, if it's not the final $
- The terrible paint job and fitment is inexcusable, even if the car was once in 5 different pieces from a crash, especially with that outrageous charge!!
- color match.. a common issue and pretty hard to achieve perfection
Old 12-07-2005, 06:04 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

dude i feel your pain.. i am in the same boat currently but im worse off then you i blew my motor before i could take my car back to get the job done right.. so now its been since sept since i took my car from the body shop.. i complained when i took it but i needed it for HIN in atlantic city. they still need to put my license plate lights in and some other wire-ing... and also my rear bumper is a shade off.. i paid around the same as you.. so you are god damned right im gonna get that **** perfect.. if they give me ****.. i will sue and i will also get back at them other ways.. ill make them pay.. revenge is the sweetest joy next to gettin *****... yall ****ed with the wrong enthusiest... hahahha
Old 12-07-2005, 06:05 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

ohh and they had my car since may till sept.. talk about waiting to the last minute to do my work.. they are what is called lazy!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Beer Goggles

I think half the problem with color matching Silver Stones is the Nissan paint sucks so when you paint a kit with real paint it makes the rest look bad. I just had a bumper and side skirts put on, prepped correctly, fitted to with in reason, and painted for $1000. Sure the color is slightly off (similar to the pic from the side) but I'm okay with that. Hard to think you can match paint on a 2 year old car perfect.

Sucks to hear bad stories, but I don't know how the Performance Shop has anything to do with the paint.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:17 PM
SandMan

Originally Posted by paranormal
dude i feel your pain.. i am in the same boat currently but im worse off then you i blew my motor before i could take my car back to get the job done right.. so now its been since sept since i took my car from the body shop.. i complained when i took it but i needed it for HIN in atlantic city. they still need to put my license plate lights in and some other wire-ing... and also my rear bumper is a shade off.. i paid around the same as you.. so you are god damned right im gonna get that **** perfect.. if they give me ****.. i will sue and i will also get back at them other ways.. ill make them pay.. revenge is the sweetest joy next to gettin *****... yall ****ed with the wrong enthusiest... hahahha
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your stuff done?

Regards,
James

Quick Reply: Horrible Bodykit experience