Sponsored by:

Installed Seibon Hood...won't latch....help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM
atomicgoofball
defies gravity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robbinsj
Your having clearance issues after a battery change I would confirm that you replaced the battery cover correctly as it might be in the way. Next remove your strut tower bar. If it still does not fit then you need to check the underside of the hood for contact marks. Scuffs or scrapes where the hood is hitting somthing and if you need to confirm it was not there prior "on user hood" I use toothpaste on what I think is hitting then lower and see if it marked the underside. If no clearance issues then I would readjust your latch as it might of lowered when tightening and if that does not work then its time to remove the latch and run pure aerolock hood pins.
the hood wouldnt shut even before i changed the battery. Ive had the hood for a few months now, then the battery died...so i opened the hood to check it out and tried to shut the hood...it wont latch the 2nd click.
THen i changed the battery and tried it again, still wouldnt work. I messed with the latch to make sure it didnt lower, so i loosened them up, raised them as high as they can go and tried to shut. Still nothing, first latch is ok...2nd wont catch.

Nothing out of the ordinary since the first install, No change in strut bar, i removed the rubber around the battery covers and what not.. I changed nothign since then and still nada!?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
luv2bsidewaz

Not to ninja the thread but has anyone NOT had problems with cf hood fitments? I also have a Seibon TS hood and it doesn't fit well. The cracks have also appeared where the latch is. I loce the cf look on my car but am discouraged with the fitment problems I am haveing. Does anyone have any experience with cf hoods that actually fit? lol
Old 01-26-2009, 12:42 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My siebon hood fits perfectly. Its the vt style. I had to raise the latch a little but after that its been fine for over a year now. No hood pins and I've taken the car up to 155mph. I don't recommend this cause I'm actually getting hood pins put on now but Ihavn't had any problems. I still have the spring in also. I don't ever slam the hood. I lay it down and press firmly til it latches.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 PM
atomicgoofball
defies gravity

Originally Posted by redman333
My siebon hood fits perfectly. Its the vt style. I had to raise the latch a little but after that its been fine for over a year now. No hood pins and I've taken the car up to 155mph. I don't recommend this cause I'm actually getting hood pins put on now but Ihavn't had any problems. I still have the spring in also. I don't ever slam the hood. I lay it down and press firmly til it latches.
yeah thats what i did too, until this mysterious CRAP started to happen. The hood looked great and it fit pretty good! just had to push down firm to have it lock down...now nothing works!
i have flush aero latches coming, they will be here by thursday but the problem is getting the car to a shop to install the aero latches.

i dont want to drive the car with it gapped like that and only connected with the first latch.

suggestions? help?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 PM
z33allme

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
just loosen the 3 screws on the latch itself, raise it as high as it will go (probably only a 1/4 of an inch), and screw the 3 screws back in tight. Then try closing it.
+1... I did the same thing...
Old 01-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

how does changing the battery have anything to do with the hood fitting?

my only guess is you opened the hood all the way open and the 4 bolts/nuts holding the hood to the oem hinges SHIFTED since they might have been loose, so now the hood is now off center or no longer in the position in which it was that closed properly..

loosen the 4 bolts in the back, but not all the way. just enough so that the hood can shift forward or backward/left or right. have a friend help close the hood down on to the stock latch, sometimes the hood might be too far back..

if you see rubbing by the battery or brake fluid compartments, you can try putting some flat washers to raise the hood up where the hinges / bolts go to get the back slightly higher-

and if it is an FRP or CF hood. its always a safe idea to run hood pins to prevent separation of the underside's latch with the oem hook system due to air buffeting or cracked resin due to vibrations of normal driving.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 PM
atomicgoofball
defies gravity

Originally Posted by Chebosto
how does changing the battery have anything to do with the hood fitting?

my only guess is you opened the hood all the way open and the 4 bolts/nuts holding the hood to the oem hinges SHIFTED since they might have been loose, so now the hood is now off center or no longer in the position in which it was that closed properly..

loosen the 4 bolts in the back, but not all the way. just enough so that the hood can shift forward or backward/left or right. have a friend help close the hood down on to the stock latch, sometimes the hood might be too far back..

if you see rubbing by the battery or brake fluid compartments, you can try putting some flat washers to raise the hood up where the hinges / bolts go to get the back slightly higher-

and if it is an FRP or CF hood. its always a safe idea to run hood pins to prevent separation of the underside's latch with the oem hook system due to air buffeting or cracked resin due to vibrations of normal driving.

thanks chebosto! ill def try that, I have aero catch hoodpins on the way, but for peace of mind i want to make sure my factory latch works as well. Ill give this a try and report back!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:35 PM
potato

hate to bump this old thread but im having trouble with mine also. I raised the latch up as high as it would go, I even used a dremal (whatever its called) to actually make it go up higher. second latch still not catching, it only makes it about half way.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 AM
potato

IT HAS BEEN DONE. I got it latched

soooooooo heres what i had to do. Its hard to explain, I moved whatever is below the latch to the back of it so the latch was straight up and down. Then I spaced it out to push it out further and it started latching

Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, it's best to remove those three bolts on that pic and take the latch completely off. Use a dremel or whatever to route out the holes a bit so that the latch can move up. Keep at it until you find a point where you can press the hood down and have it latch BUT not put too much pressure on the hood latch itself.

You don't want to have the latch down so low that the hood is under stress when it catches the latch. It should latch firmly, but not be under much stress. It'll be tight, but not to the point of splintering or cracking.

Hood pins also help keep the hood stable, imo- aerocatch looks best. You may need to "bend" the aerocatch pins forward so that they align correctly with the hood latches themselves.