Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Problem w/ hatch since nismo spoiler install

Old 01-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep that must be it. It looks exactly like the bolt pattern I had.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:31 AM
zpennies

Same issue here. Nismo spoiler directions do recommend installing a heavier duty strut for the rear hatch along with the spoiler install. The extra weight of the spoiler causes the struts to fail especially in colder weather. You can pick up some heavy duty hatch struts for $80-90. It will be a good investment so you do get knocked in the head everytime you take something out of the back.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Escobar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hm, so its only 1.5 lbs. I doubt that will even make a difference
Old 03-04-2006, 06:34 AM
paulwissing

I saw a post that you made about putting in Heavy duty rear hatch struts for $80-$90. Where can I find thes? The Nismo ones are $229 way to high in my mind. Can you tell me where i can find the ones ofr under a $100. I assume you found some that just fit, if so can you give methe exact specs and maker and stuff? Also the littel black pop up pieces that push the spoiler up initially, did you have areplacement for these. I think the nismo wing is too heavy for these as well. Someone mentioned a "penny trick" do you knw what that is? When I open my trunk I have to use two hands becasue I think those littel black springs are'nt strong enough to push the wing up high enough without me using my hands to push the button with one and lift the spoiler with teh other. Have you been able to fix this as well. Please email me at [email protected], becasue I rarely check this form any more. Thanks and much appreciated for any help...
Old 03-04-2006, 08:15 AM
coachk
Banned

Its a waste of time to remove that weight.Just weighed it and it weighed in at a whopping 1.5 pounds.I also have the Nismo Wing and it is the wing that weighs too much.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 PM
wahooj

Default Crappy hatch struts

I don't have a wing and mine went at less than 8K miles. I have a feeling they are as well engineered as the window motors. How many people here put aftermarket wings on, had the struts fail, and then assumed they failed because of the wing? And then paid for new ones or better yet the $230 dollar ones? That would be like paying for new window motors when they break because you have tint. IIRC I read somewhere on here a dealer tried to pull that one on somebody.
Has anyone tried to get them replaced under warranty with a wing?
BTW I am getting mine replaced under warranty (as I mentioned no wing though), and they are on backorder - as are my replacement front tires - weird.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Mapleleaf

I have used this company to rebuild my OEM Shocks to withstand the weight
http://www.strutwise.com/index.php , call them ask for FRANK you send him your shocks and he will rebuild them cost app $80-90 dollars. They can usually do them the same week. They are located in British Columbia ,Canada .
Old 03-13-2006, 12:17 AM
dmoffitt

Originally Posted by coachk
Its a waste of time to remove that weight.Just weighed it and it weighed in at a whopping 1.5 pounds.
A common racer saying is "it's easier to find 16 places to remove 1lb than 1 place to remove 16"
Old 11-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's an option for anyone removing the rear wiper would probably help alot. The motor and wiper weigh about 17lbs?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:58 AM
betinhoZZZ

there is another thing you can do, under the hatch when u pop i open there is 2 springs one in each side that helps to pop the hatch, what i did was twist it out and take the plastic cover that covers the springs, and put some sort of stuff inside like pieces of cardboard
or anything stiff but at the same time something that is not gonna damage the plastic, so just rip a lot off small pieces of cardboard and stack em' inside, put the spring back inside and you good to go