Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint on trunk lid is wearing out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 03:49 AM
shagz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint on trunk lid is wearing out.

Another surprise....I was waxing my car last weekend and noticed that the paint on the trunk where I put my hand to shut it, is wearing out. You can feel the corrosion if you run a finger over it. and see it at an angle. It's all the way on the edge of the trunk lid. I took it to the dealer on Monday, and the service managers jaw just hit the floor when I showed him. They are calling Nissan to have a paint inspector to come out. Let's see what happens.
It's not that I open and shut the trunk lid for fun....just regular use like groceries, gym bag etc. Looks like Nissan maybe put only one coat of paint or something on it. This is ridiculous.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:04 AM
m'sZ

Can you post pics of it at an angle? Not sure if it would show up properly in a pic, but it's worth a shot.

Sounds like you have the dealerships backing though, which will make things easier on you.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:12 AM
phreezee

yeah, post pics please!!!

email them to me and I'll host them if need be.... Thanks!
Old 01-17-2003, 09:13 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont want finger prints, so I always close it using the nissan logo, makes a good handle actually.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:37 AM
shagz

The dealer called, they're waiting for the paint inspector to call back and set an appointment. The dealer has added orangepeel to the report. The best outcome would be if they want to repaint the whole car, then I'll go for the yellow that's on the S2000 or the vettes. I know it may raise questions if I sell the car, but it's better than explaining worn out paint on the trunk. If they just offer to paint the trunk lid, I'll ask them to remove the nissan badge and smooth out the indentation as if the badge was never there.
I've tried to take pictures but the angle causes a reflection. But upclose it looks like faint freckles. It's just that you can feel it more with your finger than you can see it.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:12 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck, highly unlikely theyll repaint your whole car. theyll replace as little as possible, and the quality will most likely not be exceptional unless they let you bring it somewhere good.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Mr Fairlady

Default NIssan handle for me!

yep,.I put my fingers on the Emblem and push down,...ya never know whats on your hands(dirt,sand,****,.haha etc) when your pressin on your trunk.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Omega350Z

I just pull the hatch down with the metal clasp loop on the inside. I just give it enough force and let it shut down on its own. Havent touched the paint wiht my hands yet (cept to admire it the first night i brought it home....)
Old 01-18-2003, 05:12 AM
shagz

All that is fine, but what pisses me off is that Nissan could put such substandard paint on their cars. It is as if they thought , let's make a great car, but skimp out on the paint, and let's have oil streaks on the windows, because the customer is prolly not going to notice it.
This is my second new car. The honda accord I bought in 94 was brand new, and the paint job was unbelievable, even till the end, when I traded it in for the Z.
I understand that everything goes thru normal attrition from use. But have the paint wear out in 2 months?? What's next?? Maybe the door handles will show the plastic under it? Any bets?

Originally posted by Omega350Z
I just pull the hatch down with the metal clasp loop on the inside. I just give it enough force and let it shut down on its own. Havent touched the paint wiht my hands yet (cept to admire it the first night i brought it home....)