Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Veilside V1 (FRP) Fitment quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:29 PM
InZpire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Veilside V1 (FRP) Fitment quality

Any of you guys got experience with the FRP version? Are the fitments tight and good?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:36 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the urethane, but know a guy with the FRP. Fitment is VERY tight and it's a good fit. Harder to install than urethane, though b/c you can't really flex it to get it on so a friend helps. Unless you live in Utah or someplace with absolutely no hills, curbs, steep drives, etc., I highly recommend getting the Urethane, if possible. The FRP one I saw had a few stress cracks, chips out where rocks had it and was scraped pretty darn thin in a couple places underneath. You can beat the urethane to death and it'll hold up fine.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:39 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where's the best place to order one of these lips??
Old 02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by z350boy
Where's the best place to order one of these lips??
www.intensepower.com

you can get it prepainted for $85 which is a good deal. they have sold many pre-painted body kits so their paint matching should be very good.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:50 PM
showstoppertk

I'm not an expert, but personally I would never order a body part prepainted. regardless of whether a shop follows the codes as specified by the manf, there is still a certain degree of variance in coloring from one batch of paint to another as well as a difference in how the paint is applied that can end up giving you a noticable difference in color. thats where a skilled body and paint guy can make a considerable difference, especially with a color like LS.

Last edited by showstoppertk; 02-09-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Strife350z

i have the FRP v1 and it's like what mustgofastr said... it's a tight fight... pretty snug, but you have to wrestle with it to get it on since it's so rigid

best thing to do is to remove the bumper if you can... that way you can flex the bumper rather than risk flexing the FRP
Old 02-09-2006, 04:27 PM
2 low Z

Originally Posted by Nexx
www.intensepower.com

you can get it prepainted for $85 which is a good deal. they have sold many pre-painted body kits so their paint matching should be very good.
Do you know if it has the Veilside logo stamped on the front? Hard to tell in the pics. I prefer to have it clean.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:09 PM
showstoppertk

if its a real veilside it will have the raised name on it, but you can get it shaved off.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:25 PM
InZpire

Since I'm thinking of having the FRP (prepped and) painted can't the body shop just fit (install) it for me?

Does the FRP have the "Veilside" name raised too?

I'm just worried that there will be flaws in the FRP that I can't do anything about that the urethane will give me a peace of mind. For the lack of a better word, yeah, i'm cheap, 100 bucks difference for two different qualities matter though.

Question is, will i get what I pay for? Or would it look snugged and fit after prep and paint like the urethane?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM
InZpire

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
I have the urethane, but know a guy with the FRP. Fitment is VERY tight and it's a good fit. Harder to install than urethane, though b/c you can't really flex it to get it on so a friend helps. Unless you live in Utah or someplace with absolutely no hills, curbs, steep drives, etc., I highly recommend getting the Urethane, if possible. The FRP one I saw had a few stress cracks, chips out where rocks had it and was scraped pretty darn thin in a couple places underneath. You can beat the urethane to death and it'll hold up fine.
Good point, I get what you're saying.

As far as the scrapes goes, the set up I have in mind might be a lil different.

I'm just worried about the FRP having warps, gaps and all those. Or does it?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
showstoppertk

YES, all authentic veilside V1 lips have the raised name. the body shop should be able to install it, but thats not difficult at all since it uses the factory bolts and double sided tape. as for the fitting, I can't speak for the urethane, but my FRP fit perfectly. however if you've never had a lip before or have a tendency to not know your spacial distances very well, then I would suggest the urethane. the Z is already fairly low in the front and with a lip you basically will have about 5 1/2 inches of clearance. that means you will always have to be cautious when driving and especially when parking because speed bumps, dips, and stall bumpers can cause havic on a lip/body kit. FRP will not give very much before it breaks versus urethane. think of it as a garbage can made of aluminum verus a rubber made one. I would suggest the urethane given you sound like you have never driven with a lip/kit before.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:46 PM
InZpire

I've driven car's with lips before. And yeah, my tail usually sticks out a bit more in the parking lot. :P

But thanks for your reply, I'm just concerned with the quality of fitment they have over urethane. I dont wanna see the FRP and say, i shouldve got a urethane instead.

Scraping and resistance to rocks / bumps etc. thats another story.

Where did you get your FRP by the way? 270 is a good price right? I don't think I can get any lower than that.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
showstoppertk

I got my FRP from dsmal (local forum member here in hawaii) for $200 (I think) and it was brand spanking new. my body shop charged me $100 to paint and install it.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get the urethane
Old 02-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Mr_Drifter

they need to come out with one of these for the '06's dammit!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InZpire
I just wet myself.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

I have a FRP that I am trying to get rid of for cheap. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
Andy/Tom
Old 02-13-2006, 01:27 PM
kbomb

can any vendor get a urethane one?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:56 PM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
YES, all authentic veilside V1 lips have the raised name. the body shop should be able to install it, but thats not difficult at all since it uses the factory bolts and double sided tape. as for the fitting, I can't speak for the urethane, but my FRP fit perfectly. however if you've never had a lip before or have a tendency to not know your spacial distances very well, then I would suggest the urethane. the Z is already fairly low in the front and with a lip you basically will have about 5 1/2 inches of clearance. that means you will always have to be cautious when driving and especially when parking because speed bumps, dips, and stall bumpers can cause havic on a lip/body kit. FRP will not give very much before it breaks versus urethane. think of it as a garbage can made of aluminum verus a rubber made one. I would suggest the urethane given you sound like you have never driven with a lip/kit before.
+1,232,234 Agreed with what he said.

I have the urethane one, had that thing been fiberglass for the roads around my town, it'd be in pieces somewhere on the side of a freeway.

No matter how lowered or stock you are, you'll always encounter a super steep driveway or dip that will put your front lip in contact with the asphalt/ cement.

My urethane just kinda flexes a little and rides it until I clear it. I put a little surf wax underneath the lip so it doesn't cause to much friction and snag on the lip.

It's been through alot, but I've grown to love the lip because of it's durability:

Last edited by 35oZephyR; 02-13-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Tortuga

Damn I really want the V1 urethane lip. I called around and couldn't find but one through a vendor and it was already spoken for. I was told that the molds for this lip are being sent over to the U.S. and will be produced here. ??? something to that affect. They won't be available again til a few more months. Anyone hear the same??

Quick Reply: Veilside V1 (FRP) Fitment quality