Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

PIAA 66000k D2R Super Cobalt Installed (56 maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006 | 08:59 PM
2 low Z

Thumbs up PIAA 66000k D2R Super Cobalt Installed (56 maybe)

Here is a short review on the PIAA’s. First off I know about the stock 4300k being “optimal” and the difference of projectors with and without reflectors, so we don’t need to get side tracked on lighting and all that. I would love to retro fit the Z with TL projectors, but this is a cheap, easy alternative.

I could not stand the yellowish hue, which I thought made the HID’s look cheap IMO. I originally was looking to get a bluish hue to go along with my LED’s that are in the parking lights. I saw a G with these installed on the boards (granted they were D2S) that looked blue; I don’t know if they weren’t warmed up or it was the camera, but these defiantly are purplish.

As far as lighting, if there is a loss of lighting, I sure can’t tell. I haven’t extensively drove at night and haven’t drove in the rain yet, but in a lot of ways lighting is actually improved, which probably has a lot to do with the quality of the PIAA’s.

Everything has a slight purple tint. Road signs, reflectors and white lines definitely stand our more. Yellow lines are not as defined as before, but only slightly less than stock. Illumination of the pavement is improved as well.

The purple is kinda growing on me, but I do think maybe the Phillips 6000k might match better with the LEDs.

Here are pics of the stock HIDs and the PIAA 6600k Super Cobalt. For each of the picks, the bulbs were on for 30 min or so. The camera kinda exaggerates color, the LEDs aren’t as blue, and the PIAAs aren’t as purple, but you get the idea. Tell me what you think.

STOCK (last pic I tried to show beam cut off and color at the same time, so that explains the sh1ty pic)

PIAA 6600k Super Cobalt

Old 02-22-2006 | 09:06 PM
BhashaZ

Looks nice! The cut-off also looks a bit more defined. How much were they? Also, is D2R for non-projector housings? I know even though we have "projectors", they're technically not really projectors.
Old 02-22-2006 | 09:31 PM
2 low Z

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Looks nice! The cut-off also looks a bit more defined. How much were they? Also, is D2R for non-projector housings? I know even though we have "projectors", they're technically not really projectors.
Hey BhashaZ, how are the winnings treating you? I hope you're not kicking yourself like I am for talking myself in going +29 and playing it "safe" instead of going with the +17.

I got them for around $250, hopefully I didn't get raped, but I've seen them at other vendors for over $300. I may have misspoke about the projector, you're right technically we have HID reflectors that use a lense to focus the light so D2R is what is required for 05' and under, not sure about the 06'.

I've heard of guys using D2S bulbs, but the beam pattern is not as defined. So they appear brighter from lack of the beam being focused, but you actually lose "usable" visibility. Hopefully that makes sense (a few drinks in me right now ). Maybe another member can chime in.

Take it easy.
Old 02-22-2006 | 09:38 PM
BhashaZ

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think we use D2R's for our cars since (2003-5) are not true projectors.

Winnings are great, but I'm in the same boat as you unfortunately...in fact, I've seriously been thinking about selling them and getting the +17s that my car truly deserves heheh...we'll see how things go
Old 02-22-2006 | 09:46 PM
2 low Z

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think we use D2R's for our cars since (2003-5) are not true projectors.

Winnings are great, but I'm in the same boat as you unfortunately...in fact, I've seriously been thinking about selling them and getting the +17s that my car truly deserves heheh...we'll see how things go
D2R's are definatly what it takes, at least the stock ones that came out of there were D2R's. On the bulbs, the only difference is a small shaded area along the bulb.

You're in the same boat as me, I've been considering selling mine as well. LOL. We'll see.
Old 02-23-2006 | 06:52 AM
GQ 350z

D2s is for true projectors.

I'm using D2r's, 6000k, and love them. They are a tad violet, looks SICK at night. I just wished my led's matched better..

Love my +17 hahaha. I actually want +11 or something in rear now =/
Old 02-23-2006 | 07:06 AM
titanjc

Looks great, I love the purple tint to the light. Makes it look much more "high-end".
Old 02-23-2006 | 07:33 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by titanjc
Looks great, I love the purple tint to the light. Makes it look much more "high-end".

let me point out, that what looks high end to one person looks cheap to another. I think this is a poor alternative to a true projector retrofit especially considering it cost you 250 bucks.

Just an FYI, I snapped some pics of my other car's headlights that have an A6 bixenon projector retrofit. I know the color in the cutoff is not what some like (yellow and red) but that is exactly the point. You all want color, but don't understand in a "high end" setup it comes from the projector, not the capsule; and yes, I can tell the difference. The sole purpose of an HID setup is to put as much light on the road as possible. The oem kelvin rating does this. Yout want a bright white color with a sharp controlled colorfull cutoff.

Old 02-23-2006 | 07:38 AM
Zivman

you guys want color?
Old 02-23-2006 | 07:41 AM
2 low Z

It's funny Basha, ravi and I seem to have simular taste. We always end up on the same threads. haha. +11 would be insane. Not to hijack my own thread, but ravi, how much are you lowered and how much fender modification did you have to do for the +17s? Did you have to use agressive camber?

Ravi, what bulbs are you using? I'm surprised the your 6000k are violet as well. If I switched, I was looking at the Phillips Ultinon's to match the LEDs. But then again the violet color for the PIAAs look bad a$$ and is growing on me.
Old 02-23-2006 | 07:53 AM
2 low Z

Originally Posted by Zivman
let me point out, that what looks high end to one person looks cheap to another. I think this is a poor alternative to a true projector retrofit especially considering it cost you 250 bucks.

Just an FYI, I snapped some pics of my other car's headlights that have an A6 bixenon projector retrofit. I know the color in the cutoff is not what some like (yellow and red) but that is exactly the point. You all want color, but don't understand in a "high end" setup it comes from the projector, not the capsule; and yes, I can tell the difference. The sole purpose of an HID setup is to put as much light on the road as possible. The oem kelvin rating does this. Yout want a bright white color with a sharp controlled colorfull cutoff.

Thanks Zivman for your input. I saw this coming, I understand projector beam cutoff and "optimal" kelvin rating and all of that. I was looking to the getting rid of the yellowish hue from that stock bulbs without retrofitting the housings and without losing a lot of light output. The PIAAs were able to do this and as a bonus thay actually improved light output
Old 02-23-2006 | 07:56 AM
2 low Z

you guys want color?
I would love to just "pop" in thos TL projectors, they are truly amazing. But not an easy thing to do.
Old 02-23-2006 | 08:02 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by 2 low Z
. The PIAAs were able to do this and as a bonus thay actually improved light output
The output decreased - going from a 4300 to a 6000 kelvin rating drops light output by 20%, so going to 6600 will put you into near 30% drop in light output vs oem.

Just because the light is more noticeble, due to the color, doesn't mean the output increased. The light that is being put out is less usable, scatters easier when your headlights get a bit dirty, when it rains, during fog, etc. Anyway you look at it, beyond "I have more color", going to a higher kelvin rating is a poor choice.

Last edited by Zivman; 02-23-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2006 | 08:08 AM
2 low Z

Here is a little higher res pic of the beam cut off. Granted not nearly as good as true projectors, especially not the TLs, but not bad for reflector based HIDs. I'll try to get a better pic.

Last edited by 2 low Z; 02-23-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2006 | 08:11 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by 2 low Z
Here is a little higher res pic of the beam cut off. Granted not nearly as good as true projectors, especially not the TLs, but not bad for reflector based HIDs. I'll try to get a better pic.
the cutoff should look identical to oem
Old 02-23-2006 | 08:18 AM
GQ 350z

2 Low,

There wasn't that much modification necessary at this point. However, I'm dropping the car even lower in a month or so, at which point we'll see what fender modification + 350z really means hahaha.. No joke though--excessive camber isn't an option with that offset--ist a necessity.

To be quite honest mine are actually really white, but with a slightly violet "tint" to them. It's very subtle, but of course I notice it. The led's are really bright white, with a blue-ish tint to them, so its off.

That annoys me, but once I get my luxeons from Phuong, it will be cool.

Other than that, I really wish I could throw the TSX projectors into my z housing...damn I'd kill for that..

Ravi
Old 02-23-2006 | 08:24 AM
2 low Z

The output decreased - going from a 4300 to a 6000 kelvin rating drops light output by 20%, so going to 6600 will put you into near 30% drop in light output vs oem.

Just because the light is more noticeble, due to the color, doesn't mean the output increased. The light that is being put out is less usable, scatters easier when your headlights get a bit dirty, when it rains, during fog, etc. Anyway you look at it, beyond "I have more color" going to a higher kelvin rating is a poor choice.
Ok, you’re right about light output as far as intensity. As far as noticed change I have not lost anything. As I said before, I did want a cleaner look than the OEM without retrofitting the housings so yes I made a compromise. If I notice poor performance down the road, I'll take them out.

Poor choice, well that's your opinion. If you don't like it, fine don't buy them. This thread was intended to give a short review on the bulbs to those that are willing to go this route and make a VERY small compromise in light output. As you should know by now, modding whether it is for appearance or performance is all about COMPROMISING between evils. Reliability, efficiency, durability ECT.
Old 02-23-2006 | 08:28 AM
2 low Z

the cutoff should look identical to oem
Sorry, should have been more specific. I was regarding color, as far as pattern yes it is identical.
Old 02-23-2006 | 08:29 AM
titanjc

2 low Z, you should know that every HID thread has to turn into the "don't go over 4300K or you aren't putting out enough light" debate...

I think it looks nice, good job.
Old 02-23-2006 | 08:34 AM
desiZ

2lowZ: The parking light replacement LED's ... are those the ones from the thread some time ago about replacement LED bulbs, that eventually started dying out pretty quick ? if not where'd you get those? price/link ?

Quick Reply: PIAA 66000k D2R Super Cobalt Installed (56 maybe)