Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a second battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
therock2689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Installing a second battery

Ok, just from the start, i have searched and came up with nothing, so here i go.
This is a general thing not just applying to 350Z's. I have an aftermarket sound system, pushen about ~1000 watts. I am planning on installing a second battery because the batt. thats in there now sucks and i cant do anyhting about it, its an 2000 MB c230K, and they say i have to keep it, what ever. So what i want to do is install a second batt, Optima Yellow Top, next to it, batt is in trunk. How would i go about it, i know to hold down the batt and all that but how would i isolate it. Would THIS work. Oh, and my alternator sucks a$$ to, its 90 amps output.
Would installing teh second batt help make a more stable voltage, and reduce strain on the alt and other batt. I have hear that it helps and other times i have heard it doesnt do anything and its not worth ur time and money.
Id like to hear from some pro's but all take any help.
P.S.- i had to take my car to the shop from some crap, and they are sayen i have to take all the system out. I'm ready to go over there kick them in the nutz and say "If a P.O.S. Civic can have teh same system and not crap out, then y can the 'automotive genious' of Mercades hold up, maybe i need to ditch this crap and get myself a Civic, or even better, a 350Z."

Srry, i kinda posted this in the wrong section, Mods, if you could please move this to the audio section, srry didnt realize this till after the post.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Srivero297

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well for running power from one battery to another battery youre gonna want some heavy duty wire, probably 0/1 AWG or 2 AWG. You basically run a line from the power terminal on your primary battery to the power terminal on your secondary battery and then ground your secondary battery. I have a similar setup- 3 batteries, all yellow-tops. First is in stock location, the other two are where the stock sub used to be. I ran the 0 AWG wire from the first battery down from the power terminal down and under the car and popped it up through a gromit in the trunk and then in through the back of the sub cubby into the second battery, and grounded the battery within the cubby itself. ***If you are gonna run the line under the car STAY AWAY FROM THE EXHAUST/HEADERS, they will melt the wire. Also, watch out for the Axles cause they could shred the wire when they spin.

If you've never done this before, take it to someone to hook it up for you.