Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McCullough 12,000k HID *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 PM
jakesford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW i have a feeling there is a lot more tint to the lights than those pics show...any camera on auto will auto adjust the white balance, and since you took a pic of headlights at night the camera adjusted to make the light white, taking out any color.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:39 PM
mprasadjr

Here's a quick pic of my 12k's
Attached Thumbnails McCullough 12,000k HID  *PICS*-dsc00042.jpg  
Old 04-29-2006, 05:53 PM
TiPIACE

Originally Posted by usmanasif
No offense, but these are the kind of things people do that really make me scratch my head. A 12K HID bulb produces considerably less light than even a $5 halogen bulb off the Wal-Mart shelf, so why oh why can that sound appealing to anyone? There is a reason why no stand-out company makes such high temp HIDs. And color at that temp looks no different than cheap HID lookalikes that ricers love so much.

I guess utility and looks can each be taken way too far. Be safe with those.
spot on!

reputable manufacturers like philips and raybrig only go up to 6000K. I had the Philips Ultinon 6000K then switched to Raybrig 6000K and the output was vastly improved - go the Raybrig

re the comment wishing the Z's HIDs look like Beamers - wont happen. Not on the 03-05 model anyway. BMWs use 4300K, just like 99% of oem HIDs, so the ground will be white/yellow. The reason the headlight itself looks blue is because of the projector lense. Have a look at an 06 Z and you'll see the same BMW look
Old 04-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you like the color, but believing that you have lost little to no light output compared to stock is ludicris. The total lumen output of a 12000k bulb compared to a stock 4300k bulb is about 25%. I really don't care how many compliments you get, the point is, your car is less safe than it used to be. Good job!

-Acree
Old 04-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Zincognito

Wow, no need to tell someone that the mod he or she chose is "less safe". We are modding our cars and some people could say the same thing about adding a turbo or wider wheels. So just chill and let him enjoy his mod.

G
Old 04-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Triji

Congrats man!

I think they look GREAT!

I have an 04' G Coupe and I just bought the 2006 projector headlight assembly to retro fit. I bought Piaa 6600K Super Cobalt blue/white for the projectors and Mtec 4750K for the H1 fogs...

Can't wait to get these puppies and install them!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Bboy Hustler

dont know what the laws are in US but 12000K here is instant defect...

also insurance does not cover you once you modify your headlights.

Just a thought
Old 04-29-2006, 10:52 PM
___DJK___

Originally Posted by Zincognito
Wow, no need to tell someone that the mod he or she chose is "less safe". We are modding our cars and some people could say the same thing about adding a turbo or wider wheels. So just chill and let him enjoy his mod.

G
Acree is a master of teh light, do not challenge him!!!

Acree, when is the GB starting for your led turn signals?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:53 PM
TiPIACE

Wow, no need to tell someone that the mod he or she chose is "less safe". We are modding our cars and some people could say the same thing about adding a turbo or wider wheels.
G
gotta give credit where it's due.........
Attached Thumbnails McCullough 12,000k HID  *PICS*-mc-own3d.jpg  
Old 04-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Chineseguy

Hope not to sound dumb but what about Bi-Xenons are there different blubs to replace it?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:17 PM
TiPIACE

oem bi-xenons just use a regular D2S/D3S globe. The extra output comes from a shutter which switches to allow more light out or angle the beam upward

but if you buy a HID kit for a halogen headlight which uses the same globe for low and high beam, a H4 usually, then those will be a special xenon globe
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

G
The truth of the matter is that its not safe. It lessens the visiblity of the driver and at night thats obviously very crucial.

The comparison to turbo or "wider wheels" is just stupid. Your turbo blows, it only hurts your engine. And how is wider wheels going to make it more dangerous?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:41 PM
barthelb
Master

I have a question, whats wrong with the stock HID's? Mine are a bluish/white color, so are mine aftermarket. Mine light up the road very well i don't understand why everyone is ditching theirs. Im starting to think mine aren't stock. I asked this question before, I'll try and take a picture. They look great to me.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by barthelb
I have a question, whats wrong with the stock HID's? Mine are a bluish/white color, so are mine aftermarket. Mine light up the road very well i don't understand why everyone is ditching theirs. Im starting to think mine aren't stock. I asked this question before, I'll try and take a picture. They look great to me.
That's the point. There's nothing wrong with them. People change them for one or both of these reasons: To get a light that looks like it's from a German car, or because they think the higher the number next to the bulb, the more light they'll get....a classic example of halogen thinking in an HID world.

The problem is, the faulty logic behind either of those isn't clearly understood by most of the people buying aftermarket HID bulbs, and the distributors are not honest enough to explain them.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:25 PM
streetracer

I dont see any difference in the ilumination of the road, which is what I would strive to improve. Maybe its the picture that is so dark.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:04 AM
TiPIACE

white/yellow light will be more noticeable on a black road, then navy blue/purple against black
Old 05-02-2006, 06:16 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Headlights, in terms of safety, are more about BEING seen than actually about seeing.

Actually the stock HIDs have really poor output IMO. Often times I cannot even tell that they are on.

On a dark road, even sh!tty halogen headlights will light up the road really well. On well lit city streets, there is almost no need for headlights because it is usually easy enough to see without them. BUT you need them so other drivers know where you are.

I don't think it would be dangerous driving with 12000K lights, but if the less light output bothers you - DONT DO IT.

In My neck of the woods, an extra 50 feet of light can mean the difference between comming home safe and having antlers stuck in your windshied. Deer ar a DAILY safety issue here. We only get releif from it for about 4 months after hunting season is over, then they are back up to populated strengh and its a constant hazard.

I have Traditional Bulbs (H7) in my volvo and the standard HID in my Z, The Z feels much safer at night going through the mountain roads and down the interstate. Street lights are a rarity here. My frind just converted from standard H7s to a 5K McCulluch Kit in his cougar, the light output is Well beyond double what it was. I have decided that i Will run HID in all of my future vehicles for safety. (And yes, Im young and have 15/20 vision).
Old 05-02-2006, 09:42 AM
atar350

Originally Posted by TiPIACE
white/yellow light will be more noticeable on a black road, then navy blue/purple against black
Exactly what I said earlier, and to improve on our point.

I think calling his 12K's "un-safe" is taking it just a little, just a little far, because as another driver your are DEFINITELY going to see where he is with those bright purple lights, but the light hitting the road is where it gets bad, the light is going to blend into the road, so he isnt going to be able to see giant potholes/Rocks/Roadkill, so really its probably worse for him then another driver. He is either going to bend a rim, or throw some nice skunk into his wheel well, I like the medium, a 6000-7000 K bulb that has nice blue color but still lights up the road decently(enough to keep from bending rims and hitting animals) is perfect, although I do want to see better and have color, so Ill be adding some 4300K fog lights someday.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:54 PM
d!abolic

Originally Posted by TiPIACE
gotta give credit where it's due.........
LOL
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 PM
iceman21_23

stock hids are perfect you just may have to aim them right like people are saying having 12k bulbs is just plain unsafe...

Quick Reply: McCullough 12,000k HID *PICS*