Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McCullough 12,000k HID *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 PM
d!abolic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCullough 12,000k HID *PICS*

Gorgeous, aren't they? I was really hoping they wouldn't turn out ricey and it looks like i got lucky!

http://www.worldsuccessalliance.com/...hp?p=32#post32
Old 04-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep us update. BTW, how much is it?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 PM
d!abolic

I had stock HID, so all i needed were the bulbs. Cost me something like $150. Money well spent. Now if i can only bring myself to take apart my headlights and destroy that ugly ****ing orange side diffuser strip...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

oh, if you only replace the bulb, no need to take apart your headlight. Just unplug the wire and get the bulb out.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:05 PM
d!abolic

No man, i'm talking about the orange strips that run along the edge of the headlight. I bought clear ones to replace em, but i have to take apart the headlights to do so.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

ic. good luck with it.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:46 PM
iceman21_23

so u can see what 10 ft infront of u now? just wondering on the distance cause i know with the higher temps u get less distance...
Old 04-28-2006, 11:10 PM
usmanasif

No offense, but these are the kind of things people do that really make me scratch my head. A 12K HID bulb produces considerably less light than even a $5 halogen bulb off the Wal-Mart shelf, so why oh why can that sound appealing to anyone? There is a reason why no stand-out company makes such high temp HIDs. And color at that temp looks no different than cheap HID lookalikes that ricers love so much.

I guess utility and looks can each be taken way too far. Be safe with those.

Last edited by usmanasif; 04-28-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:39 PM
d!abolic

A 12k HID bulb outputs about 2x more light than stock halogen...
Old 04-29-2006, 12:21 AM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by d!abolic
A 12k HID bulb outputs about 2x more light than stock halogen...
Yes, that's what www.xenonking.com says under their 12K HID bulb's description , but if they were a reputable supplier, they wouldn't be selling such high Kelvin bulbs, believe me. So their claim is absolutely false.

Lumens are physics's measure of brightness of a ray of light. A halogen bulb produces anywhere from 800-1600 lumens; avg is around 1200. Philips is the top HID manufacturer in the world, bar none. Their OEM D2S 4100K HID bulb produces 3200 lumens. Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K and produces 2400 lumens of light. So if such a slight increase in Kelvin rating reduces light output so drastically, one can only imagine how many lumens a bulb burning at more than twice the Ultinon's Kelvin rating produces. My educated guess is around 800 lumens or less.

People do different things for different reasons. To many of us, looks are the only thing that matters, and so be it. It's a perfectly good reason. But please don't let unscrupulous dealers convince you that you are trusting your life to something less safer than you believe it to be.

Last edited by usmanasif; 04-29-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:57 AM
r26

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Yes, that's what www.xenonking.com says under their 12K HID bulb's description , but if they were a reputable supplier, they wouldn't be selling such high Kelvin bulbs, believe me. So their claim is absolutely false.

Lumens are physics's measure of brightness of a ray of light. A halogen bulb produces anywhere from 800-1600 lumens; avg is around 1200. Philips is the top HID manufacturer in the world, bar none. Their OEM D2S 4100K HID bulb produces 3200 lumens. Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K and produces 2400 lumens of light. So if such a slight increase in Kelvin rating reduces light output so drastically, one can only imagine how many lumens a bulb burning at more than twice the Ultinon's Kelvin rating produces. My educated guess is around 800 lumens or less.

People do different things for different reasons. To many of us, looks are the only thing that matters, and so be it. It's a perfectly good reason. But please don't let unscrupulous dealers convince you that you are trusting your life to something less safer than you believe it to be.
turbonator says that you can gain 40 hp just from bolting on their product. haha. i like my stock hid. i aimed them upward a little; the visibility was increased drastically. and also, they are already blueish.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:53 AM
IceBurnzTT

To each their own. I have mcculloch 10k lights and not a single person that has seen them has called them rice. Nothing but compliments and its ignorant to say they are worthless. Maybe not everyone needs a ****ing 200 foot beam to know how to drive? The "lack of visibility" is easy to adjust to and the color and night is gorgeous. Say what you want about the reputation of the companies but at the end of the day i've had them for close to two years with no issues and they are one of my fav mods out of the 20+_k i've dropped into the car. And I am anything but rice...

p.s. The last line about trusting your life is classic. If you die because your headlights you shouldnt have been driving a car to begin with let alone a Z. Your eyes are your guide.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:04 AM
03_Track_Z

Originally Posted by IceBurnzTT
To each their own. I have mcculloch 10k lights and not a single person that has seen them has called them rice. Nothing but compliments and its ignorant to say they are worthless. Maybe not everyone needs a ****ing 200 foot beam to know how to drive? The "lack of visibility" is easy to adjust to and the color and night is gorgeous. Say what you want about the reputation of the companies but at the end of the day i've had them for close to two years with no issues and they are one of my fav mods out of the 20+_k i've dropped into the car. And I am anything but rice...

p.s. The last line about trusting your life is classic. If you die because your headlights you shouldnt have been driving a car to begin with let alone a Z. Your eyes are your guide.

EXACTLY, I'm sorry but my vision is not so impaired that I need to light up the ENTIRE stretch of road between stoplights. I'm also not going auto-x'ing or drifting AT NIGHT, so I really could care less if my light output drops to the point of a normal halogen, as long as I am totally happy with the way it now looks. I don't see people with normal halogen cars fearing for their lives at night because of their headlight output... thats just absurd.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 AM
atar350

I read what you typed on that forum, "12K's are slighty colored" haha, no, they are the most color you can get! lol

My 7000K's were a lot better then stock halogen, but because of the color, the light blends into the road instead of like stock HID's white that pops off it. My lights look more then great, I get compliments on them all the time, I have no trouble seeing, and when I'm next to, say a bmw/tl the light on the road is the same, as far as distance, and how wide they go, the only difference is mine being a little more blue, you dont see the road as clear, but the difference isnt that bad. I know if I had 12K HIDs I would want to add some extra 4100K fog lights that way I have color, but can also see pretty good. I know I want those right now with just 7K. Anymore pics?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:35 AM
usmanasif

Your eyes are your guide. Alas, they can't do a very good job of "guiding" at night travelling at 75mph (110ft per SECOND) if we deliberately and drastically cut down on how brightly the road in front of us is lit. So will you be safer with 3200 lumens illuminating the road ahead of you vs. 800? Any 8 yr. old will agree that you will. Every time I drive by a car at night that has HIDs, I so wish mine did too. They aren't just for 70 yr olds, you know. Our visual health has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Every time you turn on your headlights, you ARE trusting life to them...so don't kid yourself. Any dealer telling you that 10,000-12,000K bulbs are BETTER than halogens is a lying fool and is making money off your ignorance.

This thread isn't about "functionality" of high K bulbs, it is about their looks. 95% of people buying high K bulbs think they will get a helluva MORE light with them, NOT less (confusing Kelvin with wattage). By the way, most people are polite enough not to utter the word "rice" to anyone's face...

As I said before, do anything you want. But do it for the right reasons. Know the facts and don't let unscrupulous dealers deceive you.

Last edited by usmanasif; 04-29-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Headlights, in terms of safety, are more about BEING seen than actually about seeing.

Actually the stock HIDs have really poor output IMO. Often times I cannot even tell that they are on.

On a dark road, even sh!tty halogen headlights will light up the road really well. On well lit city streets, there is almost no need for headlights because it is usually easy enough to see without them. BUT you need them so other drivers know where you are.

I don't think it would be dangerous driving with 12000K lights, but if the less light output bothers you - DONT DO IT.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:22 AM
___DJK___

I have 6000k and definitely notice the diminished light output. With 12000K you might as well just drive with your parking lights on.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:36 AM
davidf

I've had 12000K's in my car for 3 yrs. now and when I bought my 06' headlites I installed new 12000K's in those and have enjoyed every moment of them, so despite everyones constructive criticism, I hope you enjoy yours as well as I.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:42 AM
skew12

Originally Posted by ___DJK___
I have 6000k and definitely notice the diminished light output. With 12000K you might as well just drive with your parking lights on.
i agree with this....the HID's that BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc...use are actually at about 4300K, which is as close to actual daylight as lights can get. which is when a human eye is at its best and can see the most detail. gettin bulbs at around 6-7K is not a bad drop off in light quality at all, especially once you see the blue cut-off. because the higher a set goes up in K (they age UP the scale) the actual light quality of the bulb goes down, even though they may "look" more visually appealing. also if you have a set any higher then 7-8K during a prolonged exposure to them....say a road trip atleast 2 hrs, the lights will actually start hurting your eyes, giving you a headache and significantly reducing the quality at which you can see things, which does effect how quickly you can respond to things on the road....affecting your safety and the safety of others. and this is way oem hid's are so much lower on the scale then the crap thats available on ebay.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:09 PM
jakesford

that blue light is very appealing to the human eye and thats why auto makers that use HID's design their optics to create that sharp blue cut off. The problem is nissan, unlike honda, bmw, ect uses cheap optics/reflector style housings and you just don't get that great look. while providing increased lighting.

To get good light output use 4300k bulbs, to get the look use 4300k bulbs with good optics...

<---- wishes Z's hids looked like a bimmer

Quick Reply: McCullough 12,000k HID *PICS*