Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bumper mod for better airflow

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:25 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bumper mod for better airflow

ok, before i get people saying it looks dumb or they would never do it to their car, remember it is my car, lol.
i have been having some probs with cooling temps lately and being still spring, it is going to get nothing but worse. on the greddy tt kit there is still about 5-6" of area that the intercooler is hidden behind the bumper, and the radiator still extends higher than that. i havn't seen any aftermarket bumpers that change or help this situation also. so when i was in a state of mind for cutting and modding, i just layed out some tape, thought it looked as good as it could, and went to town with the cut-off wheel. after using a fine file to clean the holes back up, this is what i was left with.
this by far gets alot more air traveling through the front, and to my surprise, came out pretty cool looking, and i might even step out on a ledge and say, abit menacing.

Name:  SVRTech063.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  63.0 KB
Old 05-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

are you allowed to run w/o a license plate? that probably adds to the restriction of air flow ... also do you run your stock undertray?

what temps are you seeing that you feel that extra cooling is necessary? and where are you taking the measurements from?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:30 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Swiss cheese perhaps? I am thinking the same, all that airflow wasted, but I thought to use this - imatation NISMO N1 intercooler vents for the GT-R. Wouldn't give as much air as your dremel work, but would give a Varis air duct look.
Attached Thumbnails bumper mod for better airflow-ag_1_b.jpg   bumper mod for better airflow-c5_1_b.jpg  
Old 05-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Damn man, I think that looks pretty sick.

I also like the idea of the imitation NISMO N1 intercooler vents.

gringott, where can I find those? I am about to send my car in to have the bumper cover and hood repainted due to rock chips so if I could get something like this I would be set.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
davidf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very very nice.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess with that fast of a car it wouldnt matter if half the people on this forum thought it was ugly because they would be seeing nothing but the a$$ end of your car anyways!! lol
Old 05-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good idea, but you will probably see MUCH better results simply by getting a vented hood...

Heat rises.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:23 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
Damn man, I think that looks pretty sick.

I also like the idea of the imitation NISMO N1 intercooler vents.

gringott, where can I find those? I am about to send my car in to have the bumper cover and hood repainted due to rock chips so if I could get something like this I would be set.
http://www.nissanforums.com/buyer-se...nts-cheap.html

That's where I found them. Then I found them from Japan on some GTR site, but a bit more expensive.
Attached Thumbnails bumper mod for better airflow-nismo_fb.jpg  
Old 05-01-2006, 03:26 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Good idea, but you will probably see MUCH better results simply by getting a vented hood...

Heat rises.
Vented hood helps, but no air flow at all through the top of the radiator and top of intercooler can hurt more than a vented hood helps, IMHO. At speed with airflow where he has made the openings has to help.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 PM
ZlleH

I was thinking the same thing. It would have made his car look very aggressive. IMHO, those holes make the front look flimsy. Should have went with a vented hood.

Heat rises.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:30 PM
NissanZfan

close up view? look nice btw
Old 05-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

may i suggest:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/gentech4.htm

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/naca.htm

for ducted air flow around your intercooler to the radiator and /or vital engine parts that need additional cooling:

Old 05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

helps keep your eyes off the mounting screws for the front lip.

looks sorta cwest?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Mr_Drifter

you know what would be awesome, some sideshots of your beautiful ride.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:41 PM
overZealous1

Heat rises.
i was on a "mechanics high" when i cut the bumper. it was the tail end of a 30 hour thrashing with a 4 hour nap. i almost went to town on the hood too, but felt i was too tired and should give more thought to the design of the hood cut out. i really prefer to handmake stuff than to purchase an already vented hood. i am getting ready for a pretty wild paint scheme, so look for the hood cut outs here shortly. the trick with a hood cut out is finding out which way the wind is trying to go at that certain spot. need to make a hole first and put streamers at the front of it to see if you are getting air out, or taking more in.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by Chebosto
are you allowed to run w/o a license plate? that probably adds to the restriction of air flow ... also do you run your stock undertray?

what temps are you seeing that you feel that extra cooling is necessary? and where are you taking the measurements from?
it is required in my state. didn't have it on for about a year and a half. then i finally got popped for it. don't need any more tickets.
yes running the undertray. i have fallen victim to the headlifting and just wanted to get a little more cooling ability. added a 16lb rad cap while i was at it.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:48 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
helps keep your eyes off the mounting screws for the front lip.

looks sorta cwest?
ya those screws are polished stainless allen head. i don't trust or like double sided tape on front spoilers. this is from experience of ripping them off. making it easily removable to fix damage and to repaint the spoiler when it gets nicked up.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:54 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by Mr_Drifter
you know what would be awesome, some sideshots of your beautiful ride.
here is a link to a slideshow allonblack (another 350z member) put togehter from a trip we did this last weekend. has a few pics of my car plus a little surprise at the end.
my car is going to be in a calendar with a bairily clothed lady here in a few weeks. will post pics from that.

http://allonblack.smugmug.com/photos...lbumID=1418094
Old 05-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by overZealous1
ok, before i get people saying it looks dumb or they would never do it to their car, remember it is my car, lol.
i have been having some probs with cooling temps lately and being still spring, it is going to get nothing but worse. on the greddy tt kit there is still about 5-6" of area that the intercooler is hidden behind the bumper, and the radiator still extends higher than that. i havn't seen any aftermarket bumpers that change or help this situation also. so when i was in a state of mind for cutting and modding, i just layed out some tape, thought it looked as good as it could, and went to town with the cut-off wheel. after using a fine file to clean the holes back up, this is what i was left with.
this by far gets alot more air traveling through the front, and to my surprise, came out pretty cool looking, and i might even step out on a ledge and say, abit menacing.

Looks great.
You may want to add a template to this to your product line-up. Considering that all the R&D is done, these should be so cheap to make, anything you make on it should be a profit...
Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by NissanZfan
close up view? look nice btw
thanks. don't really have much of a close up myself, but there is one in the link above.

Quick Reply: bumper mod for better airflow