Sponsored by:

No more replicas, by law???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Z33Benny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more replicas, by law???

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=55166

sorry.. dont know if its a repost. I searched and didnt find anything.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:51 PM
excid182

wow...crazy stuff...but if they alter it just a little bit then they can call it their own...i think.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:52 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Tell China about this, they dont pay attenton or care.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:52 PM
mahont

Wow ... not a repost to me. That's pretty funny G. Bush was involved with sema
Old 05-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is not cheap to register for patent. Good luck with this new law.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:42 AM
gt3

Dunno how much this will affect the current market for the 350Z. The replicas are primarily for Japanese imported products, and I don't see most of the Japanese companies filing for patents on their designs.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Zexy

Hello black market... This is ****ing stupid.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:04 AM
punksterz626
Banned

Hasnt conterfeiting law been around for ages? too many loopholes, wont work.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

if manf not greed too much then they can sell their stuff at affordable price then none of this "replica" stuff would happen.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:19 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

I don't think this law covers replicas unless they have been branded with product labels. So it's more of a trademark issue than a patent one. You could still sell the copy body kit as long as you don't slap a name brand label on it (or sell labels that could be applied).

Chris
Old 05-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I don't think this law covers replicas unless they have been branded with product labels. So it's more of a trademark issue than a patent one. You could still sell the copy body kit as long as you don't slap a name brand label on it (or sell labels that could be applied).

Chris
Yeah, I agree that it is more of a trademark issue. The only one that really comes to mind immediately (for Nissans/Infinitis) is all of the "NISMO" crap that is on Ebay, but I'm sure there is a plethora of other items being copied for all manufacturers.

It's crazy that they are just now creating a law allowing them to destroy the manufacturing equipment, but I'm not sure how they will ever regulate or destroy the manufacturing equipment in foreign countries such as China who benefits from the export of these goods.

As a sidenote, there is a great resource for finding manufacturers of aftermarket products there at this link: List of product manufacturers by item
Old 05-26-2006, 04:23 PM
topsecret2001
Sponsor
Bulletproof Automotive

it's very hard to cut down on the people creating the knock offs and we've actually brought several different companies to court regarding these. We're hoping with time it will be easier for the original designers to fight back against the replicators, it's a battle we've been involved in for quite a while with our different North American rep companies.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

but if they change the design slightly..hmm
Old 05-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, not to be rude or anything towards Top Secret because I think they are an awesome company, but with how amazingly high your prices are you can not really expect to gain business by doing so. If most z owners who are interested in a product similar to your (aka replica or knockoff) and have to resort to your high priced goods and expensive shipping, my guess is they would just find something else they like at a reasonable price.

Please keep in mind that I am not saying that your cost is not justified. I just don't think that top secret's prices are in reach or justifiable for most z owners.

For example, I believe that you offer a 100mm tb for some $600. What is not really mentioned on the site is that it is cable and requires a ton of switching to make work. So that cost is only face value in my eyes. The TB is more like a $1500 mod after switching everything. Not to mention that you can get a Q45 TB for what? $80? That knocks a bunch of money off that total if someone wanted to go this route.

That is just my opinion. I hope that no offense was taken.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 AM
lupinfresh

Originally Posted by Bubble
it is not cheap to register for patent. Good luck with this new law.
Who needs patents? This is for intellectual property...no patent necessary and if the company is known for the IP, it makes it that much easier to make a case. (not to mention, this is criminal law, not civil law so the counterfeit manufacturers could be looking at jail time, seizure of property, etc.)

Originally Posted by Bubble
if manf not greed too much then they can sell their stuff at affordable price then none of this "replica" stuff would happen.
Who is greedy here? The original manufacturer who pays money to design, develop, and market an original product.....or the company who steals all of that to make money? Counterfeiting doesn't just "happen." It's a simple case of someone/business plagiarizing something for profit.

As far as the original being affordable goes, if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Simple as that...what do you think this is, some sort of commie country where everyone has right to own anything just because they want it? If you want something that badly, work for it, save up and buy it.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:32 AM
topsecret2001
Sponsor
Bulletproof Automotive

Originally Posted by Quamen
Ok, not to be rude or anything towards Top Secret because I think they are an awesome company, but with how amazingly high your prices are you can not really expect to gain business by doing so. If most z owners who are interested in a product similar to your (aka replica or knockoff) and have to resort to your high priced goods and expensive shipping, my guess is they would just find something else they like at a reasonable price.

Please keep in mind that I am not saying that your cost is not justified. I just don't think that top secret's prices are in reach or justifiable for most z owners.

For example, I believe that you offer a 100mm tb for some $600. What is not really mentioned on the site is that it is cable and requires a ton of switching to make work. So that cost is only face value in my eyes. The TB is more like a $1500 mod after switching everything. Not to mention that you can get a Q45 TB for what? $80? That knocks a bunch of money off that total if someone wanted to go this route.

That is just my opinion. I hope that no offense was taken.
no offense taken at all, you make a valid point and argument for the suppliers of replica parts...but here is something that is left out of the equation, the loss of revenue that should've offset the intitial production cost of the kit...which can run in the $30k-$60k. that will of course have to be passed onto the consumer or else each kit will be a loss.

what will happen in the industry once the innovaters of these kits are put out of business by the replicators? the industry and the customers lose while the replicators move onto their next project to make a dollar.

this argument can go on for years and each side will present valid points. if people want to support others who are basically plagiarizing the work of others then that is their will, they will just never have the support of the legitimate base in the industry.