Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console Loose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:44 PM
UltraYellow350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console Loose?

After I installed a headunit in the car I noticed that the piece that had the 3 gauges won't clip all the way back in. It will stay in for about 5-10 minutes and slowly drop. (see picture)

Anybody have some techniques on how to get it to stay? I tried to put a piece of velcro on each side, but the velcro won't stick enough...

THANKS!!
Attached Thumbnails Center console Loose?-loose.jpg  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:12 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Do you have the screws in that go behind the cubby, next to the vents?
Those are the two in charge of keeping the top in place. If those are in, then you have something near the top pushing things out.

In my case, I have a screen in the cubby that blocks those access to the holes for those screws and until recently I had the same issue. To fix this, I zip tied a 2" spring (stretchy kind I got at OSH with a loop at either end) to each screw hole on the car side, cut off the screw holes in the console and once everything is back together I stretch the springs and zip tie them to the front of the console where the cubby finisher screws down.

How do I keep track of the springs while I am putting things back together? I put a long twist tie in the loop and just make sure I keep track of them while I fit it back together, making sure they are hanging out the front until I am ready to zip down the springs. Once they are tied I pull the long zip ties off and put the cubby finisher back on.

Hope that makes sense.

Chris
Old 06-30-2006, 03:47 AM
UltraYellow350z

I do have those screws near the A/C vents put in. Something is definitely pushing it out. Maybe you can help me determine this.

When I put in the H/U and used the Metra kit, I still used the 2 metal brackets that have this arc shape to it. Am I supposed to keep using that?

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
To fix this, I zip tied a 2" spring (stretchy kind I got at OSH with a loop at either end) to each screw hole on the car side, cut off the screw holes in the console and once everything is back together I stretch the springs and zip tie them to the front of the console where the cubby finisher screws down.
Where did you first tie your 2 spring to? I see it ends up to the cubby finisher, but where does it start?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!!
Old 06-30-2006, 03:59 AM
Cheapplayer
Banned

just push it, and put the screws in
Old 06-30-2006, 04:50 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Yeah, if you have the two screws next to the AC in, the spring thing is not going to help, the springs are only to compensate for the fact that those screws are hidden by a screen.

It sounds like you have something hung up just above the head unit, I would pull it back apart and make sure there are no wires keeping you from getting it seated all the way flush. Look at wires just above or directly behind the HU. It sounds like even though you can get screws in the AC locations, they are not getting all the way down. If they are even a 1/4 from being all the way tight, the top will not stay in.

It's been a long time since I installed my kit, over two years at this point, I am pretty sure I used all of the brackets that were on the car but don't quote me on that, hopefully someone with more recent knowledge will come along and confirm.

Word of warning by the way, do not push on the three gauges to try and seat the top, they can fall inside.

Chris
Old 06-30-2006, 04:59 AM
UltraYellow350z

Thanks for the advice. I think its the metal piece. (heres a picture of the stock piece).

I know the metra kit puts an extra maybe 1/8 of inch in where the screws near the a/c vent go. I think im not supposed to use those metal pieces when I install a headunit.

Can anyone chime in on this? Without it my headunit sits in too much.
Attached Thumbnails Center console Loose?-image018.jpg  
Old 06-30-2006, 05:19 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

This is what my kit looked like when I installed it, notice how the metal is under the plastic, that is all still in there. I had the HU in for a while before the screen and I know with those brackets there at that time, it all fit fine.

Chris
Old 06-30-2006, 05:23 AM
UltraYellow350z

Thats the exact same thing I did, but I just looked over the instruction from the Metra Site and it doesn't say to use the metal brackets again. Thats weird that yours fits on with that. Im going to try taking those off and seeing it if fit when I get home from work.

Thanks for the help, I hope this solves it.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:49 AM
jcs4

I didn't reuse the metal brakets on the side of the radio and mine fits fine.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 AM
UltraYellow350z

Originally Posted by jcs4
Does the faceplate sit too far "in"? Thats what I was afraid of. Because if I let it just clip in with the cage, it sits too far in. I used the metal brakets to screw it up farther.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by jcs4
+1
Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 PM
UltraYellow350z

Fixed it by taking out the brackets. Now it clips into the cage but it sits too far in...anyone know how to fix it?