Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Lambo Doors (good and bad news)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 05:22 AM
perucho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Update on Lambo Doors (good and bad news)

The following is an e-mail I send to streetdreams regarding the scissor style doors (just like Lambo doors):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I was looking to make my Nissan 350z door have an "Lambo
> Style door". I'm a bit concerned about a couple of things that
> maybe you can help >me by answering them:
> 1) Which kit would be appropiate?

I would recommend the Type 1B4 hinge for your car. It offers the most "outward motion" at the hinge point as it rotates. The amount outward motion is directly connected to angle of the hinge mounting and the lift and hold are provided via the gas springs or gas shocks as they are called. These setups are intended to be a less expensive means of accomplishing the Lambo style door with manual operation.
We are offering the Type 1B-4 and the 1B-6 hinges in a kit that
includes Hinges, Gas Springs, Steel plates with movable mounting studs for adjusting the fit, that you can cut to fit for mounting the hinges to the Door and the Jamb, some Brackets, Ball Studs, Rod ends and some Hardware with Installation Instructions for $650.00 with two 33" gas springs or $685.00 with four 20" gas springs. Plus Shipping and Handling.

> 2) After installing the kit, will I be able to lift my door without
> that much struggle?

The gas shocks will lift the door.

> 3) Where can I get this kit installed? if so for about how much?

The kit is intended for do-it-yourselfers, but if you don't think you have the right skills, body shops will do it. It is not possible to give you a price up front because of the custom nature of each project. IE. Do you want the door handles shaved, what about the paint work? You can expect to pay 3 to 10,000 just to get them installed.

For your car, I think you would like the new system that will lift the
door under power. we are working on this new system that could be a "bolt in" possibly requiring no modification of the "A" pillar. It is a more complex system involving an Electric latch release, and Electric lift. This one will move out first, then lift and rotate. I expect the price to be around $3,000. We are looking to have this ready to market in two to three months.

> 4) Will the door align perfectly when closed?

Depends on how well it is installed. It should.

> 5) Is there any other door stile you guys have similar to Lambo > doors?

We have style 2 hinges available, which are suicide door hinges. They are also on the website.
Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go guys. The good news is that in theory, it could cost you about $700 if you install it yourself. The bad news is that if you take it to a body shop it could cost you thousands, but I'm pretty sure everyone here could do it by themselves according to the salesguy. Anyways, I just thought you guys would like to know
Old 02-20-2003, 06:39 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:31 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, ALL cars should have these doors, specially ours. it would eliminate door dings(which I now have 3 of) and it would make it much easier to get in and out of the car...

Im actually considering this, not for the appearance, but just because I am tired of only being able to open the door to the first spot since its so long, and then twisting and squirming to get in and out of the car.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:42 AM
zeroday

I agree this should be on all cars, if done with safety in mind. If the car were to flip over on its roof in the event of an accident, how would you get out? It seems to me that this design presents some safety issues that should probably be at least discussed. Shaved handles for instance are illegal for some obvious safety reasons.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:01 AM
ares
Veteran

thats true, but I see no reason why the door couldnt be actuatted by the door handle.

but it would be better if it came from the factory with a design more specifidy designed for it.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:48 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by ares
thats true, but I see no reason why the door couldnt be actuatted by the door handle.

but it would be better if it came from the factory with a design more specifidy designed for it.
My point was more that when the car is upside down, because the door swings up for the occupant to get out, it would not open, the ground would stop it from doing so.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:13 AM
perucho

Well, the reason why I wanted to do it was for the looks. But now that you bring in those safety points, it makes me want it even more
Old 02-20-2003, 10:16 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by perucho
Well, the reason why I wanted to do it was for the looks. But now that you bring in those safety points, it makes me want it even more
can't argue with that logic
Old 02-20-2003, 06:00 PM
dczoner

I still wanna know how much the thing weighs! That's the trick of it all, isn't it? Honestly, I have access to a prototyping & metalforming shop @ cal state long beach in my design department. If I can get some schematics & attachment point ideas, as well as all the "physics" numbers, namely weight, then I can probably construct something custom built for the Z within a month or two. I just don't have access to an auto shop or a garage @ home (apt complex), so for me pulling the doors is impossible.

Also, if you look at the amount of work involved in doing this conversion, my fear would be a lot could go wrong. Thats why I like the idea of starting from scratch on a complete system designed specifically for the 350z.

But, nonetheless thanks for the update & information. Gives us all something to think about - $700 for the sheer parts really isn't that much. Alright, who's got a shop I can borrow?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:49 PM
ares
Veteran

having it done by myself or a shop still concernes me that the seal would be off.

oh and as for opening the door if the car flips, what about if you hit a car and are wedged against it, or a pole, or land on the side? theres plenty of ways the door can get stuck shut as it is. sometimes itll just jam if its hit even if its clear to open.

tho you have to question safety when you remove the hinge that holds it on, could the door push into the cabin now?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:27 PM
perucho

If you are afraid of the door not opening in case of an accident then you can break the windows

Besides, if it's my turn to die to so be it. I'm not going to worry about every single possible scenario because if I do I would not have gotten so fast of a car (my $0.02 anyways).

Old 02-20-2003, 09:13 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

you could always install Hydraulics that are strong enough to pick up the entire car
Old 02-21-2003, 06:17 AM
ares
Veteran

now THAT would be a neat trick, flip over on the track, and suddenly the door opens and puts you back right side up.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:25 PM
dczoner

Originally posted by ares
now THAT would be a neat trick, flip over on the track, and suddenly the door opens and puts you back right side up.
I think I saw that on a remote control car once... Plus lets not forget the amazing things they can do on "Robot Wars"

What about those hydraulics they use to open minivan doors un-assisted? I saw an ad for - I think its a Chrysler minivan - that you press a button on the remote and the rear hatch swings open automatically. I mean, of course the dynamics are different, but maybe there's some parts there that could go towards this little maniacal project.