Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My aftermarket bodykit problems...(rant)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My aftermarket bodykit problems...(rant)

I have been admiring the INGS LX half kit for a very long time. After 2 years of use, my car is showing its miles in the way of rock chips, curb rash, and two bolt depressions due to a early 90s corolla and two very large and very uninsured men in Dallas.

I decided that if I was going to have the bumpers repainted, I might as well add a body kit. I bought my kit(and I am not going to name who I bought the kit from until I hear back from the guy) and waited for it to come. After waiting and thus missing the window to get the kit installed the first time I finally was able to install the kit this week.

I took the kit to the local(Abilene) Nissan dealer. They can match pikes peak white with no problem because they do it all day long at the dealership. The body shops guys were nice and helpful and were willing to give the kit a shot.

The problems started when they went to prime the peices. The painter followed the instructions and still had issue with pin holes in the urathan(sp). They called me to come look at it and judge if they should keep going on the project. I said let me call the guy I bought the kit from and see if this is normal. I called and that guy forwarded me to some guy in California who told me my painter was not correctly painting my peices. Hmmm okay. At $1200 I should not have to pay extra for the paint to fill in pin holes.

Anyway, the painter says he will try to smooth out the problems and carries on.

Today we fitted the front and the rear lips. The plan was to fit the lips then paint the lips on the bumpers so the bumpers could get a fresh coat of paint. The front lip went on okay. The corners lined up okay but it really didn't look like it was worth what I paid. We carried on the job hoping the rear lip would go much smoother.

While the painter was messing with the lip I managed to install my HID kit from Jun. That went smoothly enough and the guys in the shop let me borrow their tools to get the job done.

After lunch we started the rear bumper and after closely inspecting all the peices it became clear to me that I was dealing with a inferior product. Yeah, I am kinda slow I should have picked up on that after seeing the front lip. I guess after reading about how everyone has issues with their kits I thought it was normal. We tried to get the rear lip to fit with the double sided tape. Their was no way that was going to work. Even with screwes, it might have held for a little bit, but in 3 months my car would have been falling apart. The rear lip was too long and hung off on one side by an inch. We twisted the peice around trying to make it work for over an hour. The painter sanded here and sanded their and got the peice to fit a little bit better but no matter what the lip was too long by an inch.

The rocker panels/side skirts were never fitted. I had enough disappointment for the day so I came home to drink a Sol and see if I could contact the guy I bought the kit from. In the process I felt like posting here. Pardon my poor english and poor spelling.

Hopefully I can get my money back. I was hoping the the wait would be worth it because the kit would fit perfectly as advertised but no.

Pardon my poor english and poor spelling. If anyone in the West Texas area needs some painting done, go to the Nissan dealership in Abilene.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:30 PM
ClaytonC01

its an authentic kit right? or is it a knock off.. knockoffs dont normally fit well
Old 07-11-2006, 01:34 PM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer.

Sounds like you have a great shop, just an FYI I paid more and installed the kit myself. The rear is tough, and with mine being fiberglass I thought it was going to snap I was applying so my much pressure. With the sides, I have them "loosely" bolted on. If I go over the dreadful speed hump they have some "play" so they don't shatter. Works great.

The front lip is poly and I had use a heat gun to make it near perfect. I also had to remove the the tape and install wider double sided tape.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

It is is a replica. According to the vendor the kit fits exactly like the original INGs kit. 05-z do you mind taking some up close pictures of the fitment on the front lip?

Perhaps nothing fits like I want it to. I was going to mold this thing but fitting the kit was impossible!

My kit was already primed so I am going to have some problems returning it unless I can convince the manufacture my kit is defective...

I bought the kit from automotive mods. They were helpful and their body shop guy was understanding and very helpful. Props the them.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:50 PM
one350zfan

I guess you didn't go with the Vader lip! I actually bought a replica ings1/2 lip from z33chilin. This one fit pretty good. The only area that looks off is the return into the grill area.
Attached Thumbnails My aftermarket bodykit problems...(rant)-lots-of-pics-069-large-.jpg   My aftermarket bodykit problems...(rant)-lots-of-pics-068-large-.jpg   My aftermarket bodykit problems...(rant)-lots-of-pics-067-large-.jpg  
Old 07-11-2006, 01:53 PM
ClaytonC01

youre not gonna do very well with a replica kit and fitment.. sorry.. but spend the extra cash on the real thing, cause itll fit..
Old 07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
SH82N-Z
Banned

Any pictures of the full thing after going through all that trouble?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Yeah I know clayton. I guess I knew that but I guess I had to figure that out for myself.

I was too pissed off to go home and get my camera. I can take pictures of the pile of ****(the kit) next to the garage if you like?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
SH82N-Z
Banned

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
Yeah I know clayton. I guess I knew that but I guess I had to figure that out for myself.

I was too pissed off to go home and get my camera. I can take pictures of the pile of ****(the kit) next to the garage if you like?
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. I thought you finally made it work. I didn't know you gave up. How sad I know the feeling when my body shop called and said my front wasn't going to work either. It was such a sad day.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Ings replica (half/full kit) has been out for awhile and the mold is getting old = poor fitment, quality. It's hit/miss when you're buying Ings style nowadays.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by Bubble
Ings replica (half/full kit) has been out for awhile and the mold is getting old = poor fitment, quality. It's hit/miss when you're buying Ings style nowadays.
I think someone needs to update their molds.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
I think someone needs to update their molds.
at least 5K to do a new mold. Most of the mold is in China / taiwan. Even Seibon/VIS has their stuff made in China / taiwan.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:56 PM
b_nazty

has anyone else had this problem with the kit from automotive mods???
Old 07-11-2006, 07:03 PM
ClaytonC01

yeah.. like bubble said.. old molds = bad fit... i think alot of companies will buy old molds from authentic kits to make the replicas
Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

as of now, i can only vouch for these replicas:

1. Nismo style
2. Veilside from 1 to 3

From my source ofcourse. lolz
Old 07-11-2006, 08:14 PM
AutoMotiveMods

Hello Guys,

We are fully aware of the problem as this kit is fairly new to us. We produce top quality products as you can see from our iTrader Rating. So, we are doing our homework and finding out what the problem is. You could have received a bad mold which does happen ever so often. We are offering to send you a brand new full kit replacement on us as we think that this is the problem. All of our products have been top notch up to this point and we plan on keeping it that way. Customer feedbacks are very important to us to help us understand issues and find solutions and improve customer service. Thank You all for your time.

Mitch

Last edited by AutoMotiveMods; 07-11-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:19 PM
SH82N-Z
Banned

Originally Posted by AutoMotiveMods
Hello Guys,

We are fully aware of the problem as this kit is fairly new to us. We produce top quality products as you can see from our iTrader rating. So, we are doing our homework and finding out what the problem is. You could have received a bad mold which does happen ever so often. We are offering to send you a brand new full kit replacement on us as we think that this is the problem. All of our products have been top notch up to this point and we plan on keeping it that way. Customer feedbacks are very important to us to help us understand issues and find solutions and improve customer service. Thank You all for your time.

Mitch
Mr. Mitch is correct. I personally had an Issue with a front lip of this same INGS +1(MisUndrestanding) and they in process managing to resolve it for me beautiful as I'm waiting for their procedure for the upcoming Friday. I purchased the front lip knowing that it was only meant for the 03-05 350Z models however i thought i would give it a go because i like it so much however it is true, it is only meant for the 03-05 Hoping for things to go well as I have faith in these young hard workers who are trying their best to make a clean money and give beautiful customer service. Mr. Mitch, I will be waiting for the instructions on sending back the lip.

Now in my case for an example the back and sides went in like glove. The sides went in like the body of fruit being touched by a knife that it perfectly shapes the knife, that's how it went in. Mr. Mitch and Kenny have decided to take my whole kit back for a full refund because I wanted the kit for the front only. They are willing to go to that extra step and losing that a few dollars but keeping you happy which I think is why their business is booming. Not to mention they gave me a huge discount at the begining. I think at the end you'll come to this thread and laugh and look at your beaufiul car when it's finished and be really satisfied with your end prouct.

These are some pics of my back and side work, keep in mine we didn't even use the double sided tape that came with the kit. The kit it self is hugging the car's body. I can say I got the best mold for the back and side lol
Attached Thumbnails My aftermarket bodykit problems...(rant)-photo_071006_004.jpg   My aftermarket bodykit problems...(rant)-photo_071006_003.jpg  

Last edited by SH82N-Z; 07-11-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:23 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

shayanz, if you could take some close up pictures of the fitment around the lights. I would like to compare that with mine.

Anyone who is reading this thread... I will be updating this as I find out new information.

Last edited by Ahsmo; 07-12-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Here is the driver's side. The corners dont match up right even after sanding a bit more there is no way it would look clean.

again:

and the other side:

Remember it only was primed and in these pictures I dont have the lip totally shoved on with the tape. It looks fine from 20 feet away but any closer and the gaps are there. If this is perfect fitment....

Also the kit did not include installation instructions. It included painting instructions which really were just instructions on how to fix the pin hole problems. At 1200 dollars, I should not have to pay a shop to fix manufacturing problems. I expected to be able to paint these then stick em on. Perhaps I am totally naive but 'perfect fitment' is an absolute.

The rear is similar except none of the corners line up and their is too much material so the peice bows out in places and hangs of on one side by about an inch.

The side skirts would prob make me cry if I put them up.

Last edited by Ahsmo; 07-12-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Automotivemods is working with me as we speak. This is not their fault, I just happened to be on the recieving end of a bad mold perhaps.

Quick Reply: My aftermarket bodykit problems...(rant)