Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a disappointing and frustrated situation I found myself in.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:22 PM
photo2u

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What a disappointing and frustrated situation I found myself in.

Friends,

A professional detailer brought up to my attention that my brand new car door had previously been repainted. How is this possible? The dealer did not tell me when I picked it up brand new from their lot. This is the third significant flaw on this vehicle. These problems just made me furious. The paint job on the door was somewhat ok since I did not notice it before. Now that I can see it, it does stand out at some angles. I will take the car into the dealership tomorrow. I will not settle unless I get a new same color door.
I will not name the dealership because they solved my previous problem and I have been very satisfied of the end result.

George
Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 PM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask for a new car. If you paid for a new undamaged car, you best get 1.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the door get chip off and they contract it out to touch up. So you're going to believe the car detailer? How can he tell?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:44 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hate to say it, but it is quite common for cars to be damaged whilst being delivered or moved around on the lot. Might have been the case with your Z if there is only one panel like that. If it is only one panel the quickest and easiest way to check what colour it was originally look inside the door jam, near the hinges or on try some gymnastics and look at the bottom on the inside of the door, just below all of the plastic.

If you have any doubt about any of the other panels one of the quickest ways is to extremely gently (NOT WITH A SHARP OBJECT ) slightly raise the edge of some of the rubber. Checked lots of cars originally colours this way, lots of people cheat. Did this to one of my mates S15's and it started it's life like a sharp white with a blue tint, hehe, it ain't now, slightly more yellowish hue to it now.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:08 PM
photo2u

Default several opinions from trusted Auto repair people.

Originally Posted by Bubble
maybe the door get chip off and they contract it out to touch up. So you're going to believe the car detailer? How can he tell?

Friend,

The first person that noticed the damage was the Alarm installer. He just pointed out and told me it was very easy for him to tell the two different shades of silver. He also pointed out the area where both different paints met. I then took the car to my car detailer and he showed me ways to tell the inperfections on the paint. One quick way to check for the different paint was to feel with your firger tips. When I felt the paint, the paint on the car was very smooth, the paint on the area in question, was not the same and was not smooth. After viewing the area in question, in diffent angles and profiles, the paint did look diffent. I will ask the dealer to remove the door's panel, sometimes you can see the indentations on the door's dings

George
Old 08-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plumpzz
+1

Are the other flaws body work related too? I would demand a new car and if they don't give you one, sue their a$$ off. It is illigal for them to sell a brand new, damaged, then repaied car, unless they tell you that it was damaged.

You didn't spend 30 grand on a Bono'ed up POS did you?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:28 AM
ZDUB

Originally Posted by Chad68
+1

Are the other flaws body work related too? I would demand a new car and if they don't give you one, sue their a$$ off. It is illigal for them to sell a brand new, damaged, then repaied car, unless they tell you that it was damaged.

You didn't spend 30 grand on a Bono'ed up POS did you?
Old 08-05-2006, 05:29 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long have you had your car? be realistic about it, your not going to get a new car. Having worked for a dealership for 6 years I can tell you, cars get repainted/body work all the time. You should have noticed the paint problem before you purchased it. Now im not saying it's your fault, but your not going to get a new car. You may be able to talk them into repainting the door, but you're lucky if that happens. Good luck
Jim
Old 08-05-2006, 05:56 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Agree. The damage happens during delivery or when the car is being moved around the lot. If you paid for a new car - you should get a new car.

The professional who says the the door has been painted should put it in writing. Take the statement to the dealer and work something out. A coupon for 10 free oil changes?

Last edited by davidv; 08-05-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:16 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dealers normally outsource their body work to local shops near their area...hopefully theyll go to a shop that paint matches using PPG brand paint...it's the only type that many of us have come across that can paint match the Z's hue's properly....learned this the hard way through many different brands of paint coats from the same shop
Old 08-05-2006, 01:13 PM
photo2u

Default update

Friends,

I just wanted to let you know what the dealer had to say about my car.
The dealer’s service manager said that the car had over spray from the previous hood paint repair. The dealer will take the car back to the body shop to have the car wet sanded to remove the over spray.

I will keep you posted,

George
Old 08-05-2006, 01:54 PM
liquidsilver350

Whats Really Sad Is The Dealer Isnt Smart Enough To Have Quality Repair Work Done, You Would Have Never Noticed If They Had Done The Right Job. This Is Typical Of Nissan Dealers Everywhere. My Dealer Damaged All 4 Of My Rims "they Admited To It" And On A Later Visit Scuffed My Rear Bumper!
Old 08-05-2006, 02:13 PM
hurahn

Originally Posted by liquidsilver350
Whats Really Sad Is The Dealer Isnt Smart Enough To Have Quality Repair Work Done, You Would Have Never Noticed If They Had Done The Right Job. This Is Typical Of Nissan Dealers Everywhere. My Dealer Damaged All 4 Of My Rims "they Admited To It" And On A Later Visit Scuffed My Rear Bumper!
That's typical of dealerships anywhere. Unfortunately, a lot of dealerships do the mass repair thing. If you really want it done right, independent body shops "usually" do better.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:21 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

If they repaint your door/bonnet and it's as good as new and matches perfectly if the car painter is half pie decent at his job, theroretically you shouldn't be able to tell. So did they tell you what happened to the bonnet? Good luck!!

Sorry to jack your thread Photo2U.

liquidsilver350, unforutanely that's not unusual, my car was one particular dealer a couple of months ago, and because I spend a huge amount of time grooming my zed I noticed when I got it back that night some delightful person had taken my car fanging through gravel, chips everywhere, and a big scratch about 15 cms long and right through to the primer on the back bumper. Got the service manager to cough up to what he had done after hassling the dealer principal to find out, but do you think they'd pay for the damage. Needless to say dealer was told I'm not setting tyre back in their dealership ever again. Rather rude. But they will get their comupence.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:29 PM
jtkf81

Silver is hard to match, that's why they have to 'blend it out' to match the color. i happened to have bought a car like that, Accord. my car came from Chicago, IL, and my dealer later found out whole quarter panel was fixed and repainted, and Chicago dealer traded that car to them as new. Well, my Honda dealer offered me a new car and I took it. It depends on how nice your dealer is. I bought 3 Honda cars from this dealer, so they gave me a deal; for being a good customer to them. Hope you get a new car,cuz you deserve it.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
photo2u

Default update

Friends,

The dealer has not contact me to update me on the car. I will contact them tomorrow to see what is going on.
Don’t you just hate when dealers do not take any responsibility for their actions. In my case, some of the management of the dealer would not acknowledge the damage that the paint shop had created on my car. Some of their stupid comments were: “I can not tell where the damage is”. : I can see anything wrong” I must say the service rep did stand up and said that the car was had overspray all over. Car was repaired and is ok. The over sprayed is gone. the car feels smooth. At close inspection I did notice possible sand paper scratches on my black trim. I am tired and will buff my self.

I think that the service Dept. could be more open and just said some one did a mistake. No big deal but when damage is so evident and insult your comon sense that is not cool.

George

Last edited by photo2u; 08-17-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:13 AM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Hmm, is it too subtle to take photos as evidence, especially if there is a bit where the colour has been badly blended or the surface is slightly uneven.