Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question - Aftermarket Steering Wheel install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Dr. RPM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question - Aftermarket Steering Wheel install.

What do you do with the SRS Airbag light in the dash after installing aftermarket steering wheel or seats?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:27 AM
silver nismo

Default hey man

Originally Posted by Dr. RPM
What do you do with the SRS Airbag light in the dash after installing aftermarket steering wheel or seats?
Hey man i think if its just a default then you ca easly switch it of by the computer they have in the dealer or any garage that has it.
Unless its a problem by it self is there and thats because of a senssor going off for what so ever reason.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:50 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to get the proper resistors for the airbag sensors. For the steering wheel you can purchase the kit from www.airbagonoff.com which will provide you with 2 resistors to eliminate the blinking light. I believe you can get the proper resistor for the seats from www.performancenissanparts.com.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the OEM steering wheel that bad that you can justify removing the airbags??? To me, taking out the airbags is just plain stupid if the car is going to be driven regularly on public roads.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:58 AM
suprpwr

Originally Posted by roncfpz
You will need to get the proper resistors for the airbag sensors. For the steering wheel you can purchase the kit from www.airbagonoff.com which will provide you with 2 resistors to eliminate the blinking light. I believe you can get the proper resistor for the seats from www.performancenissanparts.com.

Good luck!
that site seems to indicate if you to apply to get those parts. have you gotten it from them, and if so, is it that complicated?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:00 AM
roncfpz

Originally Posted by suprpwr
that site seems to indicate if you to apply to get those parts. have you gotten it from them, and if so, is it that complicated?
You do NOT have to apply. Just give them a call. They will sell you the kit. I purchased my kit from them and they even walked me through the process over the phone.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Dr. RPM

Originally Posted by teh215
Is the OEM steering wheel that bad that you can justify removing the airbags??? To me, taking out the airbags is just plain stupid if the car is going to be driven regularly on public roads.
Actually...yes. The stock steering wheel is quite boring. I'm considering a nice aftermarket wheel which of course won't have an airbag in it.

I don't know how old you are...but in your spare time check the accident fatality stats from 20 years ago as compared to today. You might be surprised.

I see you're a Premium Member with over 4,000 posts, and I'm just a newbie who probably doesn't know much, so I'm almost afraid to ask you about such "safety" issues as smoked headlights/tail lights (hot!...but probably very unsafe), large rear spoilers (that inhibit vision), premium aftermarket sound systems (can't hear emergency vehicles at all).
Old 08-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Dr. RPM

Good luck!
Thank muchly for the tip! It looks like they can help eliminate the seat bolster bag light, as well.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Dr. RPM

Good luck!
By the way...how do you like your twin turbo set-up? I'm really considering it for mine. Who did the install?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
roncfpz

By the way...how do you like your twin turbo set-up? I'm really considering it for mine. Who did the install?
Absolutely love it......really transforms the car. I highly recommend www.forgedperformance.com and speak with Sharif. His is one of the top tuners around for the 350Z.

Glad I could help.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:00 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by teh215
I see nothing with exchanging the stock steering with for an aftermarket with no airbag. You are not harming the public, and last time I checked, we didn't have the luxury of airbags 20 years ago

To be honest, I'm getting bored of the stock wheel too. I want one that is just a tad bit smaller
Old 08-12-2006, 01:13 PM
002-M-P

Get harnesses and a harness bar...then the stock airbags actually becomes more dangerous if installed. You'll never hit the wheel with that setup but the airbag may still hit you for no reason, harming you. This is what I did in my RX7 and I am currently going towards this setup in the Z.

EDIT: +1 for Sharif at Forged Performance if you are interested in any extra performance.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Dr. RPM

Actually, the harness sounds like an awesome idea...much better for auto-crossing and weekend road-racing, too.

How may pounds you figure you will lose with your lighter parts? No power steering? Oh, boy. Hope your women like the big bulging forearms! (haha)
Old 09-19-2006, 04:04 PM
jdm4eva

Actually...yes. The stock steering wheel is quite boring. I'm considering a nice aftermarket wheel which of course won't have an airbag in it.

I don't know how old you are...but in your spare time check the accident fatality stats from 20 years ago as compared to today. You might be surprised.

I see you're a Premium Member with over 4,000 posts, and I'm just a newbie who probably doesn't know much, so I'm almost afraid to ask you about such "safety" issues as smoked headlights/tail lights (hot!...but probably very unsafe), large rear spoilers (that inhibit vision), premium aftermarket sound systems (can't hear emergency vehicles at all).
aahahhahahahahahahahahaha
Old 09-19-2006, 11:57 PM
vkzawa

Actually, the harness sounds like an awesome idea...much better for auto-crossing and weekend road-racing, too.

How may pounds you figure you will lose with your lighter parts? No power steering? Oh, boy. Hope your women like the big bulging forearms! (haha)
I'm curious how the car would behave with no power steering unit. Don't we have some sort of feature that adjusts the steering response relative to our speed? Or would that just be cut outta the picture without the power steering parts?