Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has an engine start button wired in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:42 AM
ObiRedKenobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a useless mod but thats half the fun. If I didn't have so much other stuff going on right now I would probably enjoy the challenge of doing it.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:01 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Actually, if you trust the chip to protect your car, you could eliminate the key tumbler all together. The key only needs to be nearby, it does not need to be physically attached to the car. Then add an Off On On switch next to your start button. You get in and sit down and turn on your car and push the button. As long as you have your key in your pocket, it should start.
To shut down, just flip the switch back off.

Chris
I don't believe that is how our keys work. It isn't like the intelligent key that Infiniti uses that transmits a signal which is picked up by the car. AFAIK, it is a passive chip that is detected via conduction/electrical impulses once the key is inserted in the ignition cylinder. Remote start systems wire in and use their own slot the key plugs into to be detected (that stays concealed in the car) as well; it doesn't work to just throw one of the keys in the glove box.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...re_Transponder

Actually, the real question is range, I may be optimistic in my few feet, but if you had the loop installed in seat and had the key in your pocket, it might work.

EDIT, this stuff is not all that new, Nissan has been using the "Speed Pass" type transponder since 99. Oh, yeah, its been hacked, so theoretically, someone can get near you, sniff your code and go start your car, provided they break in and all turn the tumblers.

Chris

Last edited by HyperSprite; 09-13-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:56 PM
dragone2717

Actually, the real question is range, I may be optimistic in my few feet, but if you had the loop installed in seat and had the key in your pocket, it might work.

EDIT, this stuff is not all that new, Nissan has been using the "Speed Pass" type transponder since 99. Oh, yeah, its been hacked, so theoretically, someone can get near you, sniff your code and go start your car, provided they break in and all turn the tumblers.

Chris
So Your first idea about eliminating the tumblers, is a bad idea.?.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:41 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

It's hard to say, if you can get the loop to pick up the key in your pocket, your golden, if not, you need to put the chip someplace close enough to the loop for it to be picked up.

On the security side of things, as I said in my first post, "if you trust the chip to protect your car", it's been hacked as a university project but no one has said anything about any code sniffers out in the wild, yet. At the same time, tumblers have been hacked since the invention of the slide hammer. You could combine this with an aftermarket alarm with its own starter disable feature and you would end up with more security than the car has stock, even without the tumbler.

It's all a matter of how much R&D you are willing to do. As with any mod, it's hard to be the first guy to do something new but it's damn cool when you get it done.

Chris
Old 09-13-2006, 03:40 PM
MustGoFastR

Chris
Well, there's a very easy way to test your hypothesis. Just get a copy of your key made at wal-mart to use in the cylinder, then experiment with proximity of your chipped key.

Even if it does work, I think I'd rather just put the key in and turn it to pos. 2 than add another switch; it would just be a cleaner install, IMO, and like I said, it's how alot of button start cars work.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:08 PM
MustGoFastR

Ok, finally tore into my dash today to check out the wiring and such. Access to the ignition wiring harness is very easy (though I did break a small trip piece while pulling on the panels that I'll have to replace now... ). Looks like it should be a fairly easy mod, so I went ahead and ordered the start button/relay kit and should have it in a few days. Stay tuned for updates.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Marbleshade

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Ok, finally tore into my dash today to check out the wiring and such. Access to the ignition wiring harness is very easy (though I did break a small trip piece while pulling on the panels that I'll have to replace now... ). Looks like it should be a fairly easy mod, so I went ahead and ordered the start button/relay kit and should have it in a few days. Stay tuned for updates.
Subscribing
Old 09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marbleshade
Subscribing
Old 09-25-2006, 04:14 AM
Zincognito

Subscribing!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:41 AM
savvy

subscribing
Old 09-25-2006, 04:58 AM
davidf

So where do you plan on mounting the button now since your dash will be covered in carbon?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:01 AM
davidf

I got my answer.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:14 AM
MustGoFastR

Ha, yeah, that's going to be a bit scary cutting a hole in my expensive CF dash overlay... I still plan on mounting it under the climate controls like the other car pictured at the beginning of this thread. I'll get the button long before the CF comes in, so I'll go ahead and mount it up, then when the CF comes, all I'll have to do is pop that panel back off, remove the button, apply the CF and cut through it to match the existing hole, then pop the button back in. The button has a little trim ring that is bigger than the hole, so it should be clean. Good thing is that if, for some reason, something goes wrong with the original install or that mounting location doesn't work out for the button, I'll have the CF to cover up the hole.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:17 AM
THE TECH

Can't wait to see your write up.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:25 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

subscribing......

Interested to see the results.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:39 AM
MustGoFastR

Ahh; the pressure!!! Dang, had no idea there were this many people interested in this... When I researched it, I found a few old threads, but it didn't seem like many people were into it.

I'll do a full install write-up with step by step pics and detail what is needed and where to get it. If I get everything this week, I may be able to do the install next weekend.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:46 AM
Krank
^ my last name

subscribing
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 AM
ryanmac516
i like boobies

yea i wanna see this
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 AM
350Z_LMS

subscribing!!!

Quick Reply: Who has an engine start button wired in?