Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX8 to 350Z Feedbacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 AM
reptile718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had originally purchased a fully loaded RX-8 last year. I liked the overall appearance of the car. It was an auto with the paddle shifters which where fun to play with. One major disappointment was the lack of aftermarket mods. The things that where available barely made any power over the stock pieces and cost a bundle. Even after some serious modifications it could barely keep up with a stock Z. The handling however was excellent and I do miss that, the interior was also nice and the sounds system rocked. I had every intention of keeping my go kart then the problems came. In less then one month after I had purchased it my radio died then the 8 left me stranded on the side of the road. The dealer explained to me that the oil pump was faulty and was not lubricating the engine causing the seals to blow from pressure, I was like WTF?!?!?!? I never got so much as a warning light. They told me this was rare and took full responsibility for the vehicle considering I only had it less then a month and barely put any mileage on it. Since it was bought used they could not replace it with a new one instead I got my money back and looked for either an S2K or a 350z. The S2K felt to much like the go kart I had before so I went with the Z and could not be happier. If they ever perfect the rotary design and beef up the power I will be the first in line but for now ill stick with the Z, it has yet to give me any serious problems.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
I guess then this site is spreading misinformation.

http://rotarynews.com/node/view/826

August 25, 2006

"RotaryNews.com has confirmed that there will be a recall on the 2004, 2005 and some 2006 Mazda RX-8s. Not every RX-8 will need a new engine, only those that fail a series of tests, including a new vacuum test.. The replacement engines will correct for issues ranging from flooding, hard starting, complete loss of compression, and use of Synthetic Oil in hot climates. For those that do not require an engine replacement, the ECU will be reflashed to provide for more lubrication (an already released Flash). Recall notice letters will be sent out to owners on a staggered schedule. At this point some dealers do not know about the recall, as the bulletin has not been sent."

I'm just going off of the actual recall letter:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...ecall4206F.pdf

2004-2006 RX-8 Voluntary Emission Recall Campaign 4206F

Dear Mazda Owner:
Mazda Motor Corporation has decided to conduct an Emission Recall Campaign to reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and replace the spark plugs on certain 2004-2006 RX-8 vehicles produced from April 10, 2003 through June 1, 2006. If you are a recipient of this notice, your vehicle is included in this recall.

What is the problem?
Due to PCM software calibration issues, the following conditions may result:
i) The oil-injection metering system may be inaccurate causing poor engine sealing of the combustion chambers resulting in drivability or emissions problems.
ii) Too much fuel may be injected at the time of engine start causing carbon to be deposited on spark plugs or plugs may be flooded, causing a difficult start condition. In addition, the catalytic converter may be degraded on some vehicles.
iii) (Only 2006 RX-8 vehicles are affected.) A test value indicating engine coolant temperature may be incorrectly shown on the service tool when a diagnostic function test is performed at dealership.

What will Mazda do?
Your Mazda dealer will reprogram the PCM to include the latest calibration. In addition, the following components will be inspected and repaired or replaced if necessary: spark plugs, engine, and catalytic converter. All of these inspection/repairs are carried out free of charge.
The repair should take approximately 1 hour to complete at minimum. However, it may take longer depending on the necessary repairs and service workload at your Mazda dealership.
Mazda is offering a Daily Rental Program to provide alternate transportation when your vehicle is at an authorized Mazda dealership for this recall. Ask your dealer for details about this program.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:09 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro194
I'm just going off of the actual recall letter:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...ecall4206F.pdf

2004-2006 RX-8 Voluntary Emission Recall Campaign 4206F
I seems Mazda doesn't want to announce a huge recall. Instead they're doing it on a case-by-case basis.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Swiffer

They did mail out a notice to all RX-8 owners informing them of this recall. I'd say its publicly known. Granted there is no need to replace the engine in every car, they are still going to test it to see if it does. And based on the number of people who have voted on an RX-8 site, about 10% did have theirs replaced (not sure how valid the results are).
Old 10-23-2006, 04:42 PM
swipe112

Originally Posted by Paul_in_DC
Check out the Solo2 nationals results from SCCA. RX8's practically owned B-Stock, with something like 8 of the top 10 positions. Z's were an "also ran," like the MR2's.
Thank you. My point exactly. But.....I still prefer my Z.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:09 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

And how many 8s? Zs? MR2s? Out of sheer numbers, the MR-2 rocked (1 out of 2 cars, 1 out of 4 drivers).

Of COURSE they had more trophy positions! There simply weren't enough outstanding Z and MR2 drivers!

We won't even talk about the tire size that is better for the 8, or the fact that the top drivers in the nation are driving RX-8s instead of Zs (something about $$$ draws a lot of top drivers).
Old 10-24-2006, 06:34 AM
tropicalypso

Everyone claiming that the the RX-8 is a better track car then the Z should pick up the November edition of Car and Driver. In an articled titled "The Lightning Lap", the editors compared 17 different sports cars on Virginia International Raceway (pretty much the closest thing American's have to the Nurburgring). The cars were segmented by price, with the Z paired up in a group containing the Mitsu' Evo MR, the RX-8, the Cobalt SS, the 'Stang GT, the Volkswagen GTI, the Civic Si, and the Mazda MX-5.

Participants (experienced drivers) drove the cars while logging comments and storing data for each car as it passed through one of five different sections on the course. Each section possessed a different characteristic (horseshoe turns, uphill sweepers, blind downhill turns, high speed straights, etc...). For each section, various hard data figures were recorded (entry speed, average speed, exit speed, lateral grip, etc...).

In the end, the Z ranked as the top contender for most of the recorded figures, and was never out of the top 3. Most importantly, it recorded the fastest laptime, beating the RX-8 by six and a half seconds.

...and for those are interested, it beat the venerable Evo MR by a full second around the course
Old 10-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Xoulrath

+1, tropicalypso.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 AM
titanjc

tropicalypso, I saw that test too. I'm happy one of the magazines finally gave the Z some respect. Somehow it never comes out in a favorable light against other cars, and I think that's part of the reason that a lot of people have a negative attitude towards the Z. I know that on a lot of other forums, people have a lot of misconceptions about the performance numbers, handling, and just general stats on the Z, and it's very frustrating trying to correct them.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 AM
titanjc

My impressions from the RX-8:

I test-drove a 6M a while back, when they first came out, and was completely unimpressed. The car has a nice interior, but they really need to do away with that back seat. No adult can comfortably sit back there, and seriously, how many people with kids are going to use the RX-8 as their family hauler? Ridiculous concept Mazda. The engine was gutless, I personally HATE having to rev to 10000000 RPM to make power, give me torque down low any day. It did have a very nice feel to it while driving though, and although I live in the flattest part of the country and there are NO good twisty roads, the car felt tight.

Even worse though was the automatic. My cousin actually leased one of those about 2 years ago, and wow. No power at all. Might as well have been driving a Civic EX.

Overall, I think Mazda needs to reevaluate their RX idea and get back to its roots. They need a 2-door car that looks as good on the outside as the RX-8 (because I DO love the looks), handles as well, and makes a lot more power. Putting down less than 200 whp just isn't acceptable in an RX-car, especially after the FD RX-7 TT.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 AM
efx

Originally Posted by 350V
350Z has better wet traction than almost any other sports car. Challenge him after it has rained, then see what he says.

I have the base model 06. This is weird that I read this, I went to a party and theres this girl who drove a Z who parked right next to me on a the bottomside of the hill. (Wet WA state grass + slight dirt) She probably had an enthu and had tcs on. She made it up the hill easily. I burned my clutch soo bad that day. I had it on first and went a little over 1k rpm. I would do fine and when I hit that nasty side of the grass, it would just burn out. I tried releasing the clutch so it would stick, but theres too much damn hp it would just keep spinning. Good thing it was a semi-sausage fest, I had some dudes help push me up.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 AM
efx

Originally Posted by 3FITTTY
well i dont think the pop charger will assist you any in "smoking" his ***..

LOL!! 306.5 bhp!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by efx
I have the base model 06. This is weird that I read this, I went to a party and theres this girl who drove a Z who parked right next to me on a the bottomside of the hill. (Wet WA state grass + slight dirt) She probably had an enthu and had tcs on. She made it up the hill easily. I burned my clutch soo bad that day. I had it on first and went a little over 1k rpm. I would do fine and when I hit that nasty side of the grass, it would just burn out. I tried releasing the clutch so it would stick, but theres too much damn hp it would just keep spinning. Good thing it was a semi-sausage fest, I had some dudes help push me up.
Next time your in a situation where its hard to get traction because of the power, try starting in second gear.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:55 AM
efx

Originally Posted by camaro194
Next time your in a situation where its hard to get traction because of the power, try starting in second gear.

The roads were too wet. I did that, I should have tried third. Damn RWD (sometimes). I tried different angles. I think at a certain rpm the clutch will auto-kick in and will add more rpm on the wheels. If it maintained a slow speed, i probably would have made it.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Black Duck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2emH...ssan%20topgear

Check this out. Apologize if anyone has already posted this!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 PM
efx

Originally Posted by Black Duck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2emH...ssan%20topgear

Check this out. Apologize if anyone has already posted this!

seen it. I watched this before I bought the Z. I was thinking of getting an rx8 from this commercial. lol. I want his job!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:26 PM
stan

Originally Posted by myZter
if ur getting an 06 you will have no problems. if ur getting used then hopefully ur getting 05 and if getting 03 or 04 then hope they got it fixed.

tell that to my 06 that's been sitting for 18 days waiting for a new longblock
Old 10-24-2006, 02:48 PM
shinkuu

what happened stan?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Xoulrath

Originally Posted by shinkuu
what happened stan?
I would imagine he had an oil consumption problem. I am still praying that I have no problems, as mine has less than 1,500 on it, so I haven't really been able to see if there is consumption. If it does, and I need to get an engine, I will probably just try to get the car bought back and get into an 07.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:46 PM
efx

Originally Posted by Xoulrath
I would imagine he had an oil consumption problem. I am still praying that I have no problems, as mine has less than 1,500 on it, so I haven't really been able to see if there is consumption. If it does, and I need to get an engine, I will probably just try to get the car bought back and get into an 07.

lol im on 27xx. No oil consumption yet...

Quick Reply: RX8 to 350Z Feedbacks