Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to paint engine cover and battery/master cylinder covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:14 AM
2005daytonaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just putting on some final coats of clear and ill upload all the pics I took...Not a whole lot of them but some after each color. Only did the engine cover but will most likely do the battery and master cylinder covers soon..It's been cold and windy out here so doing this has been a PITA since I dont have a garage that can be used to paint in. I'll get back to it and show you guys the results.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:14 AM
clipso 01

can't wait
Old 01-10-2007, 12:22 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by 2005daytonaZ
just putting on some final coats of clear and ill upload all the pics I took...Not a whole lot of them but some after each color. Only did the engine cover but will most likely do the battery and master cylinder covers soon..It's been cold and windy out here so doing this has been a PITA since I dont have a garage that can be used to paint in. I'll get back to it and show you guys the results.
I have not painted my engine cover yet but I'm curious to know what you did with the emblems. Did you paint over them or did you cover them with a tape before painting? I really have not looked at them closely to know if they can be removed or not.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
clipso 01

i think you can remove them, i'll have to go and check
Old 01-10-2007, 01:32 PM
2005daytonaZ

i removed the nissan emblem but taped out around the 3.5 v6 stuff..I have pics to post up in a little...just now getting the to a host site.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
2005daytonaZ

Sorry about only posting the link but for some reason I cant seem to get them up on here. Didnt take a picture of a before while the numbers were taped off so sorry about that. But I started with the Satin white which bonds to the plastic. Then went to the metalic silver all around as a base for the blue also. Next I masked off the silver part I wanted to keep with good ole painters tape and newspaper then went on with the metalic blue. Finally I unmasked and did the clear. Then put the Nissan symbol back on with a little super glue and thats it. My only thing I would redo is to let the silver dry longer since I only waited 2 hours to mask it off and it kind of put some wrinkles in the paint . Other than that I'm really happy with how the project turned out and I only spent about $20 on it plus I got the satisfaction of doing it on my own . Hopefully the paint will last and not peel but I'll be sure to keep your guys posted on how that works out when I reinstall it tomorrow.

Oh yeah I forgot to add...I did 3 coats of every color just to be sure...I know it's probably overkill but WTH.

Again sorry for making you click but I hope the link works. If not I'll have to try somthing else. Enjoy. And comments are welcome.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556942348aqtKoL
Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
linknpark15

that looks awesome...im gonna try an do it 2morr...thanks for the pix!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:43 PM
zimmie18

guys? can you paint the tubing of a popcharger or would it not be a smart idea...its essentially the same material as the engine cover right?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:52 AM
z-u-later

Sorry about only posting the link but for some reason I cant seem to get them up on here. Didnt take a picture of a before while the numbers were taped off so sorry about that. But I started with the Satin white which bonds to the plastic. Then went to the metalic silver all around as a base for the blue also. Next I masked off the silver part I wanted to keep with good ole painters tape and newspaper then went on with the metalic blue. Finally I unmasked and did the clear. Then put the Nissan symbol back on with a little super glue and thats it. My only thing I would redo is to let the silver dry longer since I only waited 2 hours to mask it off and it kind of put some wrinkles in the paint . Other than that I'm really happy with how the project turned out and I only spent about $20 on it plus I got the satisfaction of doing it on my own . Hopefully the paint will last and not peel but I'll be sure to keep your guys posted on how that works out when I reinstall it tomorrow.

Oh yeah I forgot to add...I did 3 coats of every color just to be sure...I know it's probably overkill but WTH.

Again sorry for making you click but I hope the link works. If not I'll have to try somthing else. Enjoy. And comments are welcome.

I believe the forum will only let you upload pics that are less than 200K in size. There are a couple of sites that will let you shrink your digital picture to smaller scale. Just google it and you'll find them.

Although I can't get to the link you posted (blocked by work site), looks like you did a great job. It's definitely a "feel good" DIY project that is fairly easy and inexpensive. One of these days, I'll get to paint my engine cover also!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by zimmie18
guys? can you paint the tubing of a popcharger or would it not be a smart idea...its essentially the same material as the engine cover right?
You know, this is a good question that I've been wanting to know also. I have a UTR chrome short ram tube that I bought and installed. It looks good but I'm not sure if it's efficient since it feels like it gets hotter than the OEM Z-tube. This is why I re-installed my Z-tube recently. Has anyone painted their Z-tube?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great! How's it holding up?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:15 AM
2005daytonaZ

Haven't put it back on just yet, getting around to it today. I wanted to let the paint cure for about 24 hours before I exposed it to the heat. So hopefully after today I'll be able to see if anything goes wrong.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:08 AM
2005daytonaZ

Just an update I put the cover on yesterday and after driving around from then and today there doesnt seem to be any problems yet (knocks on wood). The plastic does get warm but doesnt seem to be bothering the paint any. Hopefully it stays this way and I dont have any issues.

Update...Almost been on for a month with regular driving and haven't had any issues. If someone is looking to do this it can be done very easily and a lot cheaper than having someone do it for you.

Last edited by 2005daytonaZ; 02-02-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Turboimpreza07

here's a question...

So the cover's on the engine and the paint looks good. It's not peeling or anything, so you decide to wash your car. How to you take care of these newly painted items??? WAX??? Spray Detailer??? What do you do??? What are some steps in maintaining the shine and quality???
Old 02-12-2007, 06:20 AM
azula

Originally Posted by linknpark15
thats exactally the blue that i want for mine...^^^^^^ is sanding required to achieve that shine..?

i have the exact same setup, mine was sanded and it cost me 250 for everything
Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 AM
orngez

50 bucks worth of stuff from paintscratch.com...

Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
2005daytonaZ

Originally Posted by Turboimpreza07
here's a question...

So the cover's on the engine and the paint looks good. It's not peeling or anything, so you decide to wash your car. How to you take care of these newly painted items??? WAX??? Spray Detailer??? What do you do??? What are some steps in maintaining the shine and quality???
Unless your engine bay gets really dirty...Just pray if off...give the paint a few days to cure all the way and im sure washing it wont be too harsh...unless you use come kind of chemical the paint shouldnt come off.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
razor1965

Whent to Auto Zone and it cost 20 bus for the paint. Pretty easy to do.
Attached Thumbnails Cost to paint engine cover and battery/master cylinder covers?-engine1.jpg   Cost to paint engine cover and battery/master cylinder covers?-engine.jpg  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Lee R

Originally Posted by razor1965
Whent to Auto Zone and it cost 20 bus for the paint. Pretty easy to do.
3 year bump!!! Strut bar throws it all off.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:41 AM
edgui12

anyone kno how they got the little battery and brake fluid letters painted??

Quick Reply: Cost to paint engine cover and battery/master cylinder covers?