Old 06-22-2008, 03:40 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fail.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:44 PM
3m wol8

i'm thinking this guy never got it done or he would have surely came back.. he was online JUST today... you'd think if he did have a Targa done.. that he'd be bragging about it
Old 06-22-2008, 04:07 PM
SweetDreamZ

nope, haven't had it done yet. no one ever showed enough interest to have the shop do the research on my car. It still may be done at some time...but I have other things to do first...like forced induction etc. the body kit all came together...and the supercharger went on this last weekend. hopefully soon the targa will happen too...

and yeah, this thread is WAY old!!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:00 PM
ZTEALTH

there really isn't a "chassis" to stiffen up, Z's are unibody cars. the convertibles have different sheetmetal stamped floors from the factory. i wouldn't do it. i'm sure the shop that will take on the job doesn't have a chassis stiffness test facility like nissan has.
maybe take a convertible and make it a targa?
just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by ZTEALTH
there really isn't a "chassis" to stiffen up, Z's are unibody cars. the convertibles have different sheetmetal stamped floors from the factory. i wouldn't do it. i'm sure the shop that will take on the job doesn't have a chassis stiffness test facility like nissan has.
maybe take a convertible and make it a targa?
just my opinion.
this post makes NO sense in my opinion...just because it's a unibody doesn't mean you can't stiffen it up...are you serious?
Old 06-22-2008, 06:11 PM
App6MT

Thought the first pic looked really hot.

DO IT
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Concave
Banned

The red Z, someone said their shop quoted them something like 7 grand to get it done.
Im sure it can be done cheaper.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:27 PM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is never going to be a way to have a targa down in a "group buy"-type situation like you are/were suggesting OP. Or at least not in a way that people would climb on board with a particular shop if they aren't halfway nearby--especially without someone taking the plunge and being the guinea pig first.

This topic has been discussed for years and I have only seen one Z actually go through with it (the one that 05Z33 posted). That doesn't mean it can't be done by any means, just that every single person that says "I'M DOIN IT!!1!1one!" never follows through.

For what it's worth, there has been a guy on 3SI that put a targa on his 3KGT...he's had to do quite a bit of work to make it structurally sound, but it looks rather fantastic.

A synopsis of what he did structurally:
Reinforcement:
All pillars were reinforced with cold-rolled steel plate. The interior of the floorpan had 4 inch steel c-channel welded in parallel to the length of the car and steel plate was welded laterally at the front and rear of the floorpan. Beneath the car, two trapezoidal frames made of square steel tubing were welded on either side of the exhaust/driveshaft channel and tied together with steel plate used as tension straps. This prevents flex sideways and front-to-back with the roof removed. The rear roof section had a custom piece welded in to it to reinforce and provide the roof with an attachment point.
Someone other than that ugly showcar will get this done eventually, just a matter of someone willing to chop up their Z.

Personally I would love to see someone just do the center section and leave the door frames (like the newer 911 targas); this seems like it would not hurt rigidity as much as cutting the entire roof off, and would not have NEARLY as many problems getting the top to fit back on because the fastening system would be a lift-out/drop-in.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:30 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by moforeynolds
There is never going to be a way to have a targa down in a "group buy"-type situation like you are/were suggesting OP. Or at least not in a way that people would climb on board with a particular shop if they aren't halfway nearby--especially without someone taking the plunge and being the guinea pig first.

This topic has been discussed for years and I have only seen one Z actually go through with it (the one that 05Z33 posted). That doesn't mean it can't be done by any means, just that every single person that says "I'M DOIN IT!!1!1one!" never follows through.

For what it's worth, there has been a guy on 3SI that put a targa on his 3KGT...he's had to do quite a bit of work to make it structurally sound, but it looks rather fantastic.

A synopsis of what he did structurally:

Someone other than that ugly showcar will get this done eventually, just a matter of someone willing to chop up their Z.

Personally I would love to see someone just do the center section and leave the door frames (like the newer 911 targas); this seems like it would not hurt rigidity as much as cutting the entire roof off, and would not have NEARLY as many problems getting the top to fit back on because the fastening system would be a lift-out/drop-in.

Looks like an NSX
Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 PM
moforeynolds

Originally Posted by turismo
Looks like an NSX

It REALLY looks like an NSX. My friend has pictures of it when the owner showed up at one of the 3SI Gatherings, at first glance from the rear it really resembles that.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Mr Pickles

I hope to see the Targa around town if/when you decide to go through with it
Old 06-24-2008, 03:47 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by Mr Pickles
I hope to see the Targa around town if/when you decide to go through with it

it's a ways out if it happens...still trying to get some performance in place. Then more looks...you might have seen my Z around already tho.

You have one? what color? where in the fort are you??
Old 06-24-2008, 04:10 PM
jgregory124

I would if it was clean install....or great kit
Old 06-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My body shop said they wouldn't do it because the roof provides alot of the bridging support between the front and back..and the rear and sidewall bracing that would have to happen to compensate for the lack of rigidity it would almost be like a mini-cage setup. plus I'd want the ability to remove the top in 2 peices so it fits in the back....Alot of work and $$$.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Mr Pickles

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
it's a ways out if it happens...still trying to get some performance in place. Then more looks...you might have seen my Z around already tho.

You have one? what color? where in the fort are you??

I'm northwest area, a mile or so away from Northside High school if you're familiar with that area. I've seen one Daytona Blue one around before, but lately the ones I happen to see (which isn't too often) have been Silver.

And nope not yet. Planning on getting one within the year. Not sure if I'll end up doing it tho depending on how it handles during winter. I may wait till next spring. Is the Z a realistic Fort Wayne winter car? I've seen people say yes and no for the winter months.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 AM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by Mr Pickles
I'm northwest area, a mile or so away from Northside High school if you're familiar with that area. I've seen one Daytona Blue one around before, but lately the ones I happen to see (which isn't too often) have been Silver.

And nope not yet. Planning on getting one within the year. Not sure if I'll end up doing it tho depending on how it handles during winter. I may wait till next spring. Is the Z a realistic Fort Wayne winter car? I've seen people say yes and no for the winter months.

Mine is lowered with a body kit...and I drive it in the winter...but do have issues on days w/ deep snow. When it wasn't lowered and body kit....i never had a day I couldn't get around on...but...i've been driving rear wheel drive cars for years...in the snow. So it depends on your comfort level.

I think there are 2 (at least) DB in town...mine, which doesn't look stock at all...and then one other that is bone stock.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Mr Pickles

oh alright, cool. Maybe I'll pick one up later this year then. I saw a DB back in 03 I think it was, and it was stock (except rims). And didn't see another in town for a few years, but that one was also stock so I don't think I've seen yours around.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Concave
Banned

i had pics of that red/black one that has done the targa top from tulsa, OK.
but i cannot find it now.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 PM
snakeman

Nice, go for it. I miss my t-top z.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Silver350zed

Someone has to have this done by now !

Quick Reply: Who would REALLY pay for Targa?