Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who would REALLY pay for Targa?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:58 PM
SweetDreamZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who would REALLY pay for Targa?

I've been doing alot of research on how much it costs to go Targa top on the coupe Z. After I saw the photoshop of it, I knew it was for me! I've finally found a place local to me who is talking about being willing to do it. I've done research and located the major structural differences between the roadster and the coupe. This will enable me and the shop to know what needs to be done to stiffen the chassis enough. We agree that the chassis can be stiffened enough by using some of the GT Spec chassis braces that are available for a fairly low price. The main work of doing the targa conversion will be in the integration of a roll bar. We took a look at it today after work and think that it can be concealed in the B pillars and in the re-finished roof liner that will also house the inlets for the hooks to be attached to the roof panel.

The shop I have been talking to said that they would probably be interested in doing this...especially if there is interest in this from other members here on the board. He said(this seems pretty obvious) that he would probably lose money on the first one or two that he did just b/c people wouldn't be willing to pay what it would cost him(man-hours wise) to figure out how to do all this properly. However, after he has it figured out, he will be able to make a few bucks by doing it. I told him that there had seemed to be quite some interest in this project from the one guy who "seriously pursued it". Although, he fell through in the end.

What I need to know is...how many people would be definitely in for having this conversion done(pending seeing mine turn out looking good)? What would your cut off price be? We are meeting later this week to get a better estimate of total costs involved...which could be somewhat dependant on the number of takers we have. He said for me to do some research as to how many of you would definitely be in for something like this. Also, does anyone have some pictures of the inside of the car with the plastics off and the headliner out? He'd like to see what it looks like behind the B-pillar plastics(seatbelt area), the floor around that area, and also the roofline.

Here's a pic of the photoshop that inspired me to pursue this...thanks to who ever did this pic...and to the owner of the car.

Last edited by SweetDreamZ; 11-06-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:02 PM
s2kphil

it looks sick but will it work ???? thats the question lol
Old 11-06-2006, 06:08 PM
SweetDreamZ

That was the question of most of the shops I went to. Luckily, the guys at my local Nissan dealership have been realllllly cool to work with. They just got me my new transmission for the 03 Z issues. No hassle from them really.

Anyways...while i was there dropping the Z off for the tranny...i popped into the parts department and started talking to a guy that works there. I asked him what were the differences between the roadster and coupe Z's. He says not much. Didn't seem too responsive...UNTIL...I told him why I was asking. I hopped on the net and showed him the photoshop and what I wanted to do. He got kinda excited about it...and said he'd look it up. I get a call later that week telling me the main differences between the versions of the Z...which turned out to be pretty minimal. So I went back in...and he gives me a copy of the Mitchell Book. Basically, it's a book that lists EVERY part of the car. If there is a difference between the roadster and the coupe...it lists the two different part numbers. So this is how I'm able to say...hmm...this is not going to be a structural challenge(not mainly anyways). The biggest factor is going to be the aesthetics of it...and integrating in that roll-bar.

In short....Yes, it should work. I can't get the image I posted out of my mind, and dreams! I want to have a Targa Z...they should have offered this from the factory IMO.

Originally Posted by s2kphil
it looks sick but will it work ???? thats the question lol
Old 11-06-2006, 06:18 PM
smokedout350z

The biggest factor is going to be the aesthetics of it...and integrating in that roll-bar<------------------what he say about the roll bar???? the one in the back right? give me some details...how much u think it should cost
Old 11-06-2006, 06:20 PM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since there have been numerous discussions of who would like to do a targa, I would suggest just going ahead and getting it done, and after the fact advertise it, and the shop that did it. With something as wild as a targa conversion, if it's executed correctly, you'll have more than enough interest.

Is this shop in Ft. WEEEEEZY?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by smokedout350z
The biggest factor is going to be the aesthetics of it...and integrating in that roll-bar<------------------what he say about the roll bar???? the one in the back right? give me some details...how much u think it should cost

I agree....aesthetics are a BIG factor...i don't want some UGLY targa. I gave him the picture I posted above as a starting ground...and said that if need be, i have friends with Targa Supras that we could bring in for ideas. He showed me some of the custom work he had done previously...and it looks like he does some really quality work...

Roll bar...yes...the one in the back. I wanted mine to be hidden in the headliner. So...instead of having something low like the roadster, it'll be hidden behind the new upholstry of the headliner.

Cost...not positive yet...he wants to meet again later this week to finalize some of those details...it will be partially dependant upon TRUE interest on the forum here...

I threw out the number of $2k...saying that since he wouldn't really have to do any chassis work aside from the roll bar...that it's not gonna be a HUGE job...just needs to be a clean job. He didn't say one way or another...but seemed agreeable on the guesstimate.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:30 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by jtabraham
Since there have been numerous discussions of who would like to do a targa, I would suggest just going ahead and getting it done, and after the fact advertise it, and the shop that did it. With something as wild as a targa conversion, if it's executed correctly, you'll have more than enough interest.

Is this shop in Ft. WEEEEEZY?

I am definitely going to have this done(barring an OUTRAGEOUS quote, like the $8k i've heard tossed around previously). I don't think it will become outrageous like that since i've already done the research on what we're getting into and it's mainly...cut...and then make pretty again. The only reason I ask...is because I know that he will be willing to work on the price(and probably quality) if he knows that there are 10 more jobs waiting in line pending a successful transition....

Yeah...the shops in the Fort.....i take it you know the area??
Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM
jtabraham

nah, i went to school at Purdue in West Lafayette. I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed by body shops in Indiana, so I'm hopeful that this will turn out awesome
Old 11-06-2006, 06:42 PM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
Here's a pic of the photoshop that inspired me to pursue this...thanks to who ever did this pic...and to the owner of the car.
Why...your welcome.

I want to thank the owner of the car, since I chopped up his Z, but i have no idea who he is either.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:48 PM
03performz

I am definitely going to have this done(barring an OUTRAGEOUS quote, like the $8k i've heard tossed around previously). I don't think it will become outrageous like that since i've already done the research on what we're getting into and it's mainly...cut...and then make pretty again. The only reason I ask...is because I know that he will be willing to work on the price(and probably quality) if he knows that there are 10 more jobs waiting in line pending a successful transition....

Yeah...the shops in the Fort.....i take it you know the area??
It's not only "cut and make pretty again" because you have to preserve the part of the roof that was cut out, in order for it to be reattached no? It seems that NO mistakes can be made here or your PHUCKED. I think it looks well enough that the factory should have done this from the get-go. I am not only envious of my buddy for having an MKIV TT Supra but he has the targa top as well. At least maybe I could get the targa, then we'll see about TT'n the Z.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
smokedout350z

damm.....i can't wait ..hope u get it done...i'm very interested
Old 11-06-2006, 06:59 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by 03performz
It's not only "cut and make pretty again" because you have to preserve the part of the roof that was cut out, in order for it to be reattached no? It seems that NO mistakes can be made here or your PHUCKED. I think it looks well enough that the factory should have done this from the get-go. I am not only envious of my buddy for having an MKIV TT Supra but he has the targa top as well. At least maybe I could get the targa, then we'll see about TT'n the Z.

i know that the comment was a gross under-exaggeration of the work to be done...but my point is that they are not going to have to re-inforce the windshield, they will not have to rip off all the body panels for structural re-inforcement, etc. The coupe and roadster are similar enough that the work to be done is locational to the results desired. They will have to take extreme care to keep the roof functional...although, most body shops(that are worth a D@mn) will be able to weld metal back onto the roof, and smooth out before repainting if they do goof a little bit. The idea of it is...he can focus on cutting it out...and putting it back together without the headache of the many possible adverse effects on the car
Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 PM
smokedout350z

so whats up man.....so you don't have to do anythying really but cut it and fix it up a little then put it back together...........so what is everybody sayhing about the structural reinforcement(chassis watever)..do we need to do anything to the chassis??? ...holla at me......i don't wanna *** up my car lolz..........i might do this
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by 03performz
True; just what I was thinking. In fact, I'm not even sure that that will be enough; an entire new roof panel may have to be fabricated (or at least the old one heavily worked at the edges and possibly new metal added on there). Just the act of cutting it out will eat some metal and leave a gap and you want nice, rounded edges and trim and minimal gaps. Getting all the moldings right is going to be tough, but you might be able to utilize/modify moldings from other targa cars. I'm not familiar with the Supra roof mechanism, but I'd also recommend checking out the Honda Del Sol and Acura NSX targa roofs; they have very clean, easy to operate mechanisms that could probaby be utilized in the Z setup.

Once you get it done, stage two should be to have someplace fabricate a foldable fabric roof panel that can be stowed in the trunk like the Lotus Elise. The solid panel will not fit in the car, so it'd be nice to have something to be able to carry eith you in case of rain, or just to put on when parked, etc.

If I had the cash, I'd be on board, but this'll have to go on the future wish list for me. 2K sounds very reasonable, though; I believe the last time this was tried, the pricetag was more like 3k.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:09 PM
SweetDreamZ

so whats up man.....so you don't have to do anythying really but cut it and fix it up a little then put it back together...........so what is everybody sayhing about the structural reinforcement(chassis watever)..do we need to do anything to the chassis??? ...holla at me......i don't wanna *** up my car lolz..........i might do this

There is other stuff you will have to do to keep the car rigid. But, if you check out this link...

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ing&prodid=937

That is one of the parts i'm planning to put on my car to stiffen it back up. This, combined with any other swaybars, etc you might want to add will give your car a really stiff chassis where you won't even notice the effects of taking out the roof panel. Add in the fact that there will be the roll bar added, and you will be fine. If all the above is done, the car will still probably be stiffer than factory...and will be very fine on the street considering that the roadster does not have many structural changes from the coupe.

I don't want to under-play the magnitude of this project...so don't get the wrong idea..."just cut and put back together" makes it sound WAY easier than it really would be. But...for a good shop...who can do this stuff...it's going to be a much smaller project than on a car who is VERY dependant on the roof panel for structural integrity....
Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 PM
smokedout350z

are you going to buy the Gt spec combo^ ?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
True; just what I was thinking. In fact, I'm not even sure that that will be enough; an entire new roof panel may have to be fabricated (or at least the old one heavily worked at the edges and possibly new metal added on there). Just the act of cutting it out will eat some metal and leave a gap and you want nice, rounded edges and trim and minimal gaps. Getting all the moldings right is going to be tough, but you might be able to utilize/modify moldings from other targa cars. I'm not familiar with the Supra roof mechanism, but I'd also recommend checking out the Honda Del Sol and Acura NSX targa roofs; they have very clean, easy to operate mechanisms that could probaby be utilized in the Z setup.

Once you get it done, stage two should be to have someplace fabricate a foldable fabric roof panel that can be stowed in the trunk like the Lotus Elise. The solid panel will not fit in the car, so it'd be nice to have something to be able to carry eith you in case of rain, or just to put on when parked, etc.

If I had the cash, I'd be on board, but this'll have to go on the future wish list for me. 2K sounds very reasonable, though; I believe the last time this was tried, the pricetag was more like 3k.

The last price i saw was in the 5k range, and he wanted like 5 or 10 people to pre-pay...before he fab'd ONE...haha...right!

We already discussed this...there are MANY targa top options out there...and it'd be easy to steal the latching mechanisms and the idea behind them from these models.

No matter what, metal will have to be welded back in...no doubt about it. The back side will need tab levers to insert in a framed backside of the car....and then the front will need a way to attach the clamps. Basically, the backside of the windshield will need some welded metal on to clamp to, the front side of the roof panel will need parts welded in to match up and seal to the windshield, the back of the cut out roof panel will need the same deal, plus the tabs to insert in the front of the back remaining roof. (confusing wording, but you get the idea...2 cuts leave 4 open edges that need cleaning up)

As far as the top not fitting...you are absolutely right...and i told him not to worry about that. I hadn't thought of the idea of a soft top option...but that's a good one. Maybe he could work on something there too...i'll ask him this week...
Old 11-06-2006, 07:16 PM
SweetDreamZ

are you going to buy the Gt spec combo^ ?

I plan to...yes. Along with sway bars and maybe a new strut brace(not sure on that yet though)
Old 11-06-2006, 07:17 PM
MustGoFastR

There is other stuff you will have to do to keep the car rigid. But, if you check out this link...

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ing&prodid=937

That is one of the parts i'm planning to put on my car to stiffen it back up. This, combined with any other swaybars, etc you might want to add will give your car a really stiff chassis where you won't even notice the effects of taking out the roof panel. Add in the fact that there will be the roll bar added, and you will be fine. If all the above is done, the car will still probably be stiffer than factory...and will be very fine on the street considering that the roadster does not have many structural changes from the coupe.

I don't want to under-play the magnitude of this project...so don't get the wrong idea..."just cut and put back together" makes it sound WAY easier than it really would be. But...for a good shop...who can do this stuff...it's going to be a much smaller project than on a car who is VERY dependant on the roof panel for structural integrity....
Yeah, the Z chassis was designed from the get-go to support a raodster, so needed additional chassis stiffeners should be minimal. I think what you have planned on that front will be more than adequate.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:24 PM
smokedout350z

so man....when are you thinking about starting this project?

Quick Reply: Who would REALLY pay for Targa?